Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 05:20   #1

IP 38 Holding Tank

I am purchasing a 1990 IP 38 out of state. I know there is an issue with the holding tank. For a short term fix to get the boat home I am hoping to replace the existing tank by purchasing an off the shelf holding tank. Once home I can order a permanent replacement. Could someone possibly provide the dimensions that I have to work with for a new tank.
Thank you
krupke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 05:41   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: IP 38 Holding Tank

I can this weekend as I'll be at the boat then I hope.
We need to replace them with a plastic tank and be done with it, good thing is it looks to be easily removed.
Did you try to call them and or post this on the IP site? I bet there is a ready made replacement, I would think.
My original aluminum tank lasted 15 yrs, and the replacement is now 14 yrs old, I'd better replace it soon myself.
The hoses aren't as bad as it looks to replace, I used the Raritan extra flexible hose I got from Hopkins Carter, I have still to replace the aft head hose, takes way more hose than I initially thought.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 06:45   #3

I viewed the IP sites but have not yet posted there. I will try that next. I agree that I should be able to find a ready made replacement but I have not yet been able to find one. Thank you for your help!
Old 26-04-2016, 07:07   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you find one, let me know please as my tank has to be on it's last legs, and that is something I'd rather replace prior to failure
Old 26-04-2016, 08:39   #5
Marine Service Provider

IP was one of the last--if not THE last--boat builders to use aluminum waste holding tanks...so it's not surprising that there'd be an issue with it. I suggest that, instead of doing all it will take to plumb in an "off the shelf" tank, you buy a cheap camper portapotty from Walmart just to get the boat home, and then order a tank from Ronco Plastics (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco) Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog They make TOP quality water and waste tanks for a very reasonable price and have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular (which means you might be able to fit a larger one in the same space), and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank. Delivery time is +/- two weeks depending on time in transit, and they're great to work with.

That will give you time to get the dimensions and remove the tank without rushing to just "do something" to get the boat home that you'll just have to undo.

Btw...you'll find several retailers--Tank Depot is one--who sell tanks that are obviously Ronco tanks if you compare the drawings. Ronco sells direct for less.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:40   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
If you find one, let me know please as my tank has to be on it's last legs, and that is something I'd rather replace prior to failure
Island Packet is no longer in business. They closed the doors around two, two and a half months ago. I've talked with a West Coast I.P. dealer and they are in the dark as to why. Phones are turned off, no trespassing signs on gates, won't answer dealership calls or emails.
uncle stinkybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:52   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Island Packet is no longer in business. They closed the doors around two, two and a half months ago. I've talked with a West Coast I.P. dealer and they are in the dark as to why. Phones are turned off, no trespassing signs on gates, won't answer dealership calls or emails.
Here's the lastest. Go to the last page.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 08:55   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Here's the lastest. Go to the last page.
Last page of what? Is there link I'm not seeing? I'm very interested in any info about I.P. Thanks Stu!!
Old 26-04-2016, 09:03   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
Last page of what? Is there link I'm not seeing? I'm very interested in any info about I.P. Thanks Stu!!
http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...rs-161889.html

sorry, here it is.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 09:54   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Jackson View Post
Thank you Stu.
Old 26-04-2016, 10:02   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

May sound disgusting, but a 5 gl bucket if your better half is not coming along with a trash bag and kitty litter is workable, urine does not go in the bucket with the kitty litter, then off shore of course open the bypass valve and use the head.
An IP38 has a 30 gl waste tank, and there is room to go bigger. If you decide to go bigger, the size of the opening of the locker it goes into will be your limiting factor, I believe, and it could easily be enlarged.
Old 26-04-2016, 10:12   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I called Ronco in the hope that they may have kept the drawing from having done one before, no dice, but they said about $150 as an estimate, which is dirt cheap.
Old 26-04-2016, 18:31   #13

Thank you everyone. I have 2 possible leads and will keep this post updated.
Old 01-05-2016, 15:02   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

OK went to the boat this weekend,
Measurements are top plate is 18" X 18". The tank is shaped to fit the hull, meaning the port or outside of the tank wall is 19.5" while the Starboard or inside wall is 24".
There are one inch flanges on the port, aft side of the tank to attach to the hull with screws and on the fwd Starboard side.
There are three fittings, two 1.5", discharge one is in the lowest corner of the tank, that being the fwd Starboard side and the 3/4" vent is at the top fwd Starboard side on the outside, with the 1.5" fill tube just inboard of that.
I have some pictures I can post when I get to a computer if you need them, the opening to the locker the tank is in has at least 6" of clearance in any direction, getting it in and out will be easy.

Sent from my iPad Pro using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 01-05-2016, 18:07   #15

Thank you for the information. I hope to be able to speak with a manufacturer recommended by IP on Monday. This info will be very helpful.

Tags
holding tank