Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-08-2011, 04:23   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.
Insulation Around Fridge

I have some space (about an inch) around the outside of my fridge and I am thinking of adding some extra insulation.
Good insulation materials are impossible to find and a special order would be expensive .
White polystyrene foam is readily available as are closed cell foam sleeping mats for camping.
Is it worth adding these or is the insulation value too low? Which would be best ?
Are there any other common building materials etc that could be used?
If I do order some specific materials what would you recomend? How much better than white polystrine foam would it be?
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 05:22   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Insulation around fridge

Depends really on how much (and what type) of insulation you have already.
If you 4 or more inches of good insulation already, then adding anything more isn't a great help (law of diminishing returns etc) but if you only have say 2 inches, then adding more is good.

Polystyrene or closed cell sleeping mat - I would guess (and it is only a guess) is the polystyrene. You could try checking out the relative density between the two. The lighter per given volume should be the better one.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:09   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The unit is an Isotherm fridge, not the greatest insulation.
The other posible items I have considered are cork tiles and bubble rap
Old 31-08-2011, 07:40   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Polyurethane and Polyisocyanurate are very similar, closed-cell foam insulation materials, offering high R-values (R 5.6 to R 8) per inch of thickness.
Extruded expanded Polystyrene (XEPS) is a closed-cell foam insulation whose R-value depends upon the density of the material, generally about R-5 per inch.
Molded expanded Polystyrene (MEPS) is a closed-cell material, with R-values ranging from 3.8 to 4.4 per inch (2.54 cm) of thickness.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:26   #5

The most important thing is to use an insulation that will not absorb moisture as this pretty much destroys the R value. Dow Blueboard is a good example available at any building supply place.

If you don't care about pretty, stick pieces of this to the flat parts of the box with adhesive calk and fill in the gaps between with spray foam.

Carl
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:39   #6

Boat: 1988 48' Offshore
Re: Insulation Around Fridge

I want somebody to try this stuff out and tell us how well it works.

Aerogel | Aerogel Insulation | Aerogel Price

The pix of the girl with her face up against the stuff with a blow-torch being applied to the other side is pretty impressive.

With that NASA connection, though, it's probably pretty expensive.
oldjags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 08:44   #7

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
Polyurethane and Polyisocyanurate are very similar, closed-cell foam insulation materials, offering high R-values (R 5.6 to R 8) per inch of thickness.
Extruded expanded Polystyrene (XEPS) is a closed-cell foam insulation whose R-value depends upon the density of the material, generally about R-5 per inch.
Molded expanded Polystyrene (MEPS) is a closed-cell material, with R-values ranging from 3.8 to 4.4 per inch (2.54 cm) of thickness.
Thanks Gord
The only problem is I think I might get some blank faces though asking for Polyisocyanuratein a Greek general store .
If its white polystyrene foam or bubble rap I am likely to be pecuring it from the local rubbish dump (anyone who sells electrical goods seems to have large sheets "out the back" suitable for the Purpose and even the price is right).

Recycling is good for the environment.

A translation of the above would be great.
Old 31-08-2011, 08:45   #8

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970

how about that plastic closed cell underlayment used as a vapor barrier and cushion underneath the fake snap together wood floors? comes pretty thin on a roll and could use several layers.

Sound and moisture barrier Underlayment
http://www.myflooringliquidators.com...layments.shtml
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 09:01   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
The most important thing is to use an insulation that will not absorb moisture as this pretty much destroys the R value. Dow Blueboard is a good example available at any building supply place.

If you don't care about pretty, stick pieces of this to the flat parts of the box with adhesive calk and fill in the gaps between with spray foam.

Carl
The insulation is between the fridge and some wood paneling, so it will not be visible.
I have asked at many stores here for some bluefoam, but its always been met with blank faces (this is small Greek islands). I am sure I could order some from the UK, but given that its on the outside of the fridge in a very dry boat with a typical summer humidity of 25% my guess is that white foam would work OK, but I would order something if the difference is significant.
The Admiral likes a cold G&T at sunset.
Old 31-08-2011, 09:04   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
how about that plastic closed cell underlayment used as a vapor barrier and cushion underneath the fake snap together wood floors? comes pretty thin on a roll and could use several layers.

Sound and moisture barrier Underlayment
Types of Laminate Underlayments - The Flooring Liquidators
Thanks for the suggestion. Underfloor heating is popular here so I may be able to get some of this.
Old 31-08-2011, 10:50   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Polyisocyanurate, an improvement on polyurethane (PUR), is also referred to as PIR, polyiso, or ISO.

A typical Aerogel (“liquid smoke”) insulation blanket (ie: “Spaceloft”, “Thermablock”, etc) has a thermal conductivity of 0.091 BTU-in/hr-sq.ft.-F at an ambient temperature of 32 degrees Fahrenheit, corresponding to an R-value of more than R-10 per inch.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2011, 09:21   #12

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Help!! I have just finished demolition and am beginning to fabricate my new reefer/freezer box. To my amazement and distress I have learned that RParts and Glacier Bay are no longer fabricating vacuum insulation panels in custom sizes and shapes. Yikes!! Does anyone know of an alternate source of VIPs?
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 16:05   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Oh happy day! I have had communication with two sources of VIPs. Pacific Sea Breeze is the new RParts supplier, and NanoPore used to be a supplier to Glacier Bay. I will be sending drawings to them to obtain quotes and will inform this forum. I have made my first templates for the 1/4" birch ply skins and will begin fabrication of the box in ten days.

My design, based on the suggestions of my refrigeration guru Bob VanNess (AKA Captain Frost of San Diego) has thin ply skins inside and out, with one inch polyisocyanate foam, foil covered, one inch VIP, and another isocyanate layer, total 3 1/2" thick, equivalent to about 10" of pure foam. The freezer holding plates will be custom made, and powered by a Bitzer compressor with direct drive DC motor. The reefer will be a spill-over, via a thermostatic controlled vent. White LED lighting in both boxes, temp sensors and alarms, and RParts hatches. The entire assembly will fit in the sterncastle sole area of my Searunner 40. It keeps the weight low, trims the boat (with a couple hundred pounds of cold stuff), and should operate on half the amp-hours of competing designs. We'll see what actually happens. Photos to follow as progress ensues.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 16:48   #14

Boat: Outremer 50S

Roy,

I'll be interested to hear how it works. FWIW we did a re-build like this on our Cross 40 about 11 years ago using Glacier Bay UltraR. Same basic design, small freezer with spillover, 1.5" PolyIso on the outside, and no additional foam on the inside, just the fiberglass skin that GB used to offer. Only a little Cold Machine for the cold. In the tropics our 2x60W solar panels kept up with all the electrical loads, including the fridge. In more temperate climes the thing barely has to run. As always, biggest thing was getting the seals tight.

Let us know how it goes, and how you like the NanoPore materials. Never know when I might have to build the next one
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-09-2011, 16:56   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy M View Post
Oh happy day! I have had communication with two sources of VIPs. Pacific Sea Breeze is the new RParts supplier, and NanoPore used to be a supplier to Glacier Bay. I will be sending drawings to them to obtain quotes and will inform this forum. I have made my first templates for the 1/4" birch ply skins and will begin fabrication of the box in ten days.

My design, based on the suggestions of my refrigeration guru Bob VanNess (AKA Captain Frost of San Diego) has thin ply skins inside and out, with one inch polyisocyanate foam, foil covered, one inch VIP, and another isocyanate layer, total 3 1/2" thick, equivalent to about 10" of pure foam. The freezer holding plates will be custom made, and powered by a Bitzer compressor with direct drive DC motor. The reefer will be a spill-over, via a thermostatic controlled vent. White LED lighting in both boxes, temp sensors and alarms, and RParts hatches. The entire assembly will fit in the sterncastle sole area of my Searunner 40. It keeps the weight low, trims the boat (with a couple hundred pounds of cold stuff), and should operate on half the amp-hours of competing designs. We'll see what actually happens. Photos to follow as progress ensues.
That sounds like a fantastic fridge.
Keep us updated with details. What is the material cost?

Tags
insulation, refrigerator