Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-01-2018, 10:41   #1

Information needed for a King Air heating / AC system

Hi All

I bough a boat ( the usual start to much work ) that had been taken apart and left for a bunch of years.

It have (2) King Air set water Heating and AC units installed but unfortunately all the wiring and plumbing had been removed. I have no idea if they work, but would like to give them a try. I have called and emailed the King Air ( Largo Florida ) an number of times but am not getting any returns.

So I was wondering if anyone has a Installation and or Operating Manual for the unit. Mostlly the pumping, water pressure and flow rates? and wiring diagrams from condenser and remote control units. Then maybe I can see if it will turn on and do something before I just rip them out and throw away

I cannot see a nameplate on the units ( very hard to look with out removing ), but will post photos of what I do have when I figure out how

Thanks, Navi
Navi2016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-01-2018, 10:44   #2

Re: Information needed for a King Air heating / AC system

Photo s

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4558.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	173.1 KB
ID:	162996Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4560.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	188.0 KB
ID:	162997
Old 29-01-2018, 07:17   #3

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Given the control panel shown in the photos, you seem to have mid-'90's era air conditioners that I suspect are in the 8K to 12K BTU range. In fact, they worked very well but one weakness was in the condensate pans which sometimes corroded through if not maintained properly which allowed condensate to get to the supporting base and the underside of the compressors which then also suffered irreparable damage. So long as the compressors remain in good condition, and the heat exchangers are intact, you might be able to return them to service however. The more salient question is why the plumbing--which is pretty simplistic--and the wiring were removed which may require you contacting the former owner to discover, if possible. I submit it would be unwise to arbitrarily reconnect wiring without knowing the why of it having be removed to begin with.

As to KingAir itself, at this point the Company is rather small with a relatively limited staff that primarily serves the trucking industry with cooling equipment for refrigerated freight trailers. Their Marine air conditioning units are an adaptation of their heavy duty trailer units and so are quite robust. However, as that is a secondary line of business, it gets somewhat less attention and particularly so when inquiries arrive from 2nd or 3rd owners that have inherited rather older equipment that will be difficult to evaluate remotely. The Company is, however, extraordinarily responsive to their buyers and very good about providing assistance if necessary. That said, the Company does have contacts with marine refrigeration technicians around the country that may be able to help you.

We have been dealing with the Company for 16 years and have good relations with the technical staff. If you will PM me with your location and contact information, I'll see what I can do. A few years ago we replaced our mid-'90's era 12K BTU unit with a new version and I may yet have a copy of the original units owner's manual among our ship's equipment papers and will check the next time I'm on the boat, in the next day or two.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-02-2018, 09:24   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Given the control panel shown in the photos, you seem to have mid-'90's era air conditioners that I suspect are in the 8K to 12K BTU range. In fact, they worked very well but one weakness was in the condensate pans which sometimes corroded through if not maintained properly which allowed condensate to get to the supporting base and the underside of the compressors which then also suffered irreparable damage. So long as the compressors remain in good condition, and the heat exchangers are intact, you might be able to return them to service however. The more salient question is why the plumbing--which is pretty simplistic--and the wiring were removed which may require you contacting the former owner to discover, if possible. I submit it would be unwise to arbitrarily reconnect wiring without knowing the why of it having be removed to begin with.

As to KingAir itself, at this point the Company is rather small with a relatively limited staff that primarily serves the trucking industry with cooling equipment for refrigerated freight trailers. Their Marine air conditioning units are an adaptation of their heavy duty trailer units and so are quite robust. However, as that is a secondary line of business, it gets somewhat less attention and particularly so when inquiries arrive from 2nd or 3rd owners that have inherited rather older equipment that will be difficult to evaluate remotely. The Company is, however, extraordinarily responsive to their buyers and very good about providing assistance if necessary. That said, the Company does have contacts with marine refrigeration technicians around the country that may be able to help you.

We have been dealing with the Company for 16 years and have good relations with the technical staff. If you will PM me with your location and contact information, I'll see what I can do. A few years ago we replaced our mid-'90's era 12K BTU unit with a new version and I may yet have a copy of the original units owner's manual among our ship's equipment papers and will check the next time I'm on the boat, in the next day or two.

FWIW...
Thanks, PM sent, Navi

Tags
heating