Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2006, 09:32   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
I hear water running.....

OK so I just pulled back in, hooked up shore power & water. Now I hear water running from behind the washer... Shut the dock water off - nope still hear water running. It's coming from up near the deck joint. Oh look - I can see a hose disconnected back there behind this thing. What the heck is it connected to? OK turn off all pumps, everything. Yikes it's the aft bilge pump!! Where did all this water come from??

See my other posting about the leaking shaft seal....

Tear the washer out of its cabinet to find that the previous owner had left me a "gift." The bilge pump discharge hose is too short to reach the anti-siphon loop, so he just left it sticking up into space!! Man, good thing we didn't really need that bilge pump since she's a dry boat.... at least until now! And oh yeah, the float switch on the forward bilge pump is apparently not working. So we have a full bilge and a mood fountain.... go to my happy place.. oommmmm .....

Beware used boat owners.... people do the most insane things! I NEVER expected anyone to turn a bilge pump into a bilge recirculating pump! But hey - we didn't sink and the bilge is admittedly cleaner than it was before..
Come to think of it, now I know the source of that mystery stbd tack leak by the washer...

Tell me again why we love boats?
Old 12-12-2006, 10:56   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Bilge systems give me the greatest concern. I am always anxiuose of the fact that we are leaving the security of the floatatin of our prides and joy to a "cheap plasticy" pump. No not cheap in price, just cheaply made. And worse, an even cheaper and less dependable float switch. There has got to a better way.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:09   #3
cruiser

Whew! You wrote that well, Mark. I have to give you credit for your calm, cool head and great presentation.

Certainly an amazing thing for the previous owner to have done... which I think I'll start a thread about.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:28   #4

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Witnesses may report a distinct lack of calm aboard during the event....
Old 12-12-2006, 11:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bristol 35 Bellesa
As I work on refitting my boat I do come across times I just sit and scratch my head and try to wonder what some previous owner was thinking (or what drug they were on) when I see some things. Thankfuly other than the manual bilge pump that had hoses 6 inches long that went no where I haven't one like this.
FrankZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 11:55   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
There has got to a better way.
Close all through hulls prior to leaving the boat and minimize the number of through hulls.

Returning to the boat....where is the engine key? Hanging on the handle of the closed seacock.
Joli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2006, 21:13   #7

Boat: Hartley 32 RORC; Vixen
Running Water???

Not quite on thread, but I remember the first time I spent a night aboard a steel boat. In the quiet of the evening, while trying to get to sleep, I could hear a noise that I was convinced was running water, it certainly sounded like it to me.

I started frantically to pull up floors, look in behind cupboards, everywhere in the bilge area, to track down this "leak", all the time convincing myself that the bilge pump would cut in soon and keep us safe and afloat.

After not finding any sign of water anywhere (except outside where it should be) I discovered the source of the noise was thousands (maybe millions) of little marine creatures smashing themselves into the hull. When you shone a torch light on the water line you could see them bashing and crashing repeatedly into the boat. It appeared they were attracted to the hull - the anti-foul perhaps, I don't really know, and this in turn was making the noise I was hearing.

Rather spooky really.

Now back to normal transmissions......

Steve
Steve Kidson is offline   Reply With Quote