Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2011, 07:11   #46

Boat: Egg Harbor sedan cruiser 1970
Re: I Cured the Smell from My Head

I caught the raccoon!

Drove him to the city water park and let him go.
He seemed to like the car ride. He was quite calm. I heard him biting and scratching the trap in the attic as I climbed the stairs. Open the door and the work light on it and it was very quiet.

Think there are more going into the attic?, he seems small and he caused a huge mess up there. I am going to set up the trap again.
sdowney717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 07:23   #47

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Well done.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 08:18   #48

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

At the needle exchange we stopped giving out bleach because it did not kill hep C effectively but did kill HIV. Hopefully we are not out there shooting up sewage. What we want to do is suppress bacteria that is producing gas that stinks, and bleach does that very well in my experience.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:07   #49
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Bleach is one of the most widely available and affordable disinfectants on earth, and the role it plays in public health continues to be critical..

The World Health Organization and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, recommend the use of bleach for controlling the spread of pathogens that can cause infections and other health threats.

Following is a list of organisms that the proper Bleach to water ratios can kill

Bacteria
Staphylococcus aureus (Staph.)
Salmonella choleraesuis
Pseudomonas aeruginosa
Streptococcus pyogenes (Strep.)
Escherichia coli O157:H7 (E. coli)
Shigella dysenteriae
Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA)

Fungi
Trichophyton mentagrophytes (can cause Athlete's Foot)
Candida albicans (a yeast)

Viruses
Rhinovirus Type 37 (a type of virus that can cause colds)
Influenza A (Flu virus)
Hepatitis A virus
Rotavirus
Respiratory Syncytial Virus (RSV)
HIV-1 (Human Immunodeficiency Virus)*
Herpes simplex Type 2
Rubella virus
Adenovirus Type 2
Cytomegalovirus

*For health care settings only.

Bleach to water ratio for cleaning hard, nonporous food contact surface sanitizing (refrigerators, freezers, plastic cutting boards, stainless cutlery, dishes, glassware, countertops, pots and pans, stainless utensils):

Use 1 tablespoon of Bleach per gallon of water. Wash, wipe or rinse items with detergent and water then apply sanitizing solution. Let stand 2 minutes. Air dry.

Kills the following:

Staphylococcus aureus (Staph.)

Escherichia coli 0157:H7 (E. coli)

For hard, nonporous surface disinfection:

Use ¾ cup Bleach in one gallon of water/10 minute contact time, to kill the following:

Feline parvovirus

Canine parvovirus

Use 1¾ cup Bleach in one gallon of water/5 minute contact time, to kill the following:

Mycobacterium bovis (Tuberculosis)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 12:35   #50

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

Bull Roar?? You go Gord, the forum is cooking on all burners today!
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 15:28   #51

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'm luvin this!
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:06   #52

Boat: Hopefully a cruising Catamaran about 40'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
chlorine bleach after it reacts with organic matter , neutralizes into harmless salt water

HowStuffWorks "How does chlorine bleach work?"

The tiny amount of bleach from a holding tank when discharge, does not do anything, does not enter the food chain and quickly becomes plain old salt water again.

Clorox Bleach Facts

Bleach does not harm the environment
Household bleach begins and ends as salt water in a fully sustainable cycle. There's a significant difference between "bleaching"-- the name often associated with the manufacturing of paper products -- and household bleach.
Tiny amounts add up when there are millions of people using bleach products that run down stream or is added to holding tanks (only two of thousands of uses), even when 95% of it is breaks down quickly, there is 5% that doesn't. The .2 % per billion of Mercury also found in Clorox bleach (possibly higher in other brands) adds up along with the other sources in our waters and food, even in 'tiny' amounts. The 2-5% bleach that doesn't fully break down and would be usually treated by a municipal water treatment plant, doesn't when in a holding tank and later released out in blue water (I would hope blue water). Bleach may not be the worse of all the chemicals out there people may use, its still something we should use in small amounts and for a good reason - disinfectants are one of them until we find something better. Trying to get rid of a smell that could be taken care of with proper ventilation, various natural products (vinegar) etc., isn't a good enough reason in my opinion based off all the information I have had to read and wanted to read on the subject of pollution in our oceans. The world can only handle so many pollutants, the 2-5% every drop of all the bleach that still contaminates the water along with the huge amounts of every other toxin being released into the water adds up to a big problem down the line. This is similar to how we can only handle so much pollutants until we more than likely get cancer or other medical problems - a cigarette once in a while wont hurt, but many of them all the time (even in small amounts) makes a huge difference. Using any pollutant out in open waters wouldn't be as damaging as when done so in a more heavily populated area where you have to deal with everyone polluting and having it add up to higher levels in that region, nature doesn't have the ability to break down so much at such a rate quick enough for it not to be harmful to use in some way or another. Out in blue water away from any dense population at a moderate use, basic household chemicals should be fine.

Now of course there isnt anything that can work available, then do what you need to do - bleach, whatever.

I'm trying to find the journals and articles on this subject I had from classes a couple years ago (Bio and all that, when it came to Oceanography I mostly studied the waters of San Diego and Mexico). At least one of them covered the use of chemicals with everyday boat use also. Not sure if I have them still, if I do or can get a hold of my professor I'll post them up in another thread on water pollution and what else we can use if available later. Knowing is half the battle. Go Joe!

If chlorine bleach is so safe to the environment then drink a glass of pool water (not the kiddie pool, too much pee) everyday and see what happens down the line. Just kidding, please no one drink pool water.

Sorry didn't mean to go on and on. If you read all this and hated it, I'm sorry.
DazeAtSea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 16:08   #53

So, bleach will kill Hep A but not Hep C?
Old 14-10-2011, 17:16   #54

Quote:
The .2 % per billion of Mercury in bleach
that number is so small compared to what comes from coal plants that it is a meaningless amount. I actually cant find the natural mercury content of sea water, and it could be the environmentals dont want to talk about ocean water mercury as having a natural level apart from man's pollution as it is politically incorrect, yet ocean water even has naturally dissolved uranium, gold, etc... present.

Quote:
Mercury enters the environment naturally and through industrial pollution, mostly from coal-fired power plants. Scientists have estimated that the amount of mercury in the atmosphere today is about two to three times what it was 150 years ago.

Mercury In Ocean Fish May Come From Natural Sources, Not Pollution

Quote:
ScienceDaily (Dec. 5, 2003) — Mercury levels in yellowfin tuna caught off the coast of Hawaii have not changed in 27 years, despite a considerable increase in atmospheric mercury during this time, according to a new study. The findings suggest that the high levels of mercury that have been found in tuna and other ocean fish may not be coming from pollution, but from natural sources.
Old 14-10-2011, 18:55   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdowney717 View Post
that number is so small compared to what comes from coal plants that it is a meaningless amount. I actually cant find the natural mercury content of sea water, and it could be the environmentals dont want to talk about ocean water mercury as having a natural level apart from man's pollution as it is politically incorrect, yet ocean water even has naturally dissolved uranium, gold, etc... present.

I never said that bleach was the major cause for mercury or anything else. I said that it was a cause and also stated that it adds up with every other pollutant to cause a major problem, thus the .2% per billion of the billions of gallons of bleach that is used along with other sources of it will accumulate. Another pollutant would be coal being one of them. The worse thing we ever put in the oceans could have been the various nuclear explosive devices set off for test purposes. I also realize that their are natural pollutants, once again another source we are just adding to the total, thus making things worse and throwing off the natural balance of ocean waters. Toxins like to sit in fat after being consumed, these toxins don't go away easily, and adds to the total toxins consumed the entire life of a organism, lets say a fish. This fish gets eaten by a larger fish, then that fish gets eaten by another fish so on and so forth till eventually its eaten by a person (people love giant tuna and swordfish, even dolphin all which tend to have higher levels of toxins). These toxins which ever they may be sit in that person fat, if that person isn't healthy enough or has too many toxins in their bodies to fully discharge them (sweating, pooping, etc.), then this can lead to medical problems, physical or mental.

Uranium does occur naturally in ocean water, that isn't a reason to add more of it or anything else unnecessarily into the environment. Uranium occurs naturally in our environment - so, should we just add more of it to one place, possibly throwing off a whole ecosystem, which would cause problems for organisms living in said region, which can cause a problem for the whole planet of living creatures, just because this pollutant was somewhere else in the planet already? That is why when disposing of radioactive uranium people usually put it in thick cement containers before doing so.

This is off the topic of bleach (so was uranium) but ir is an example of a natural occurring problem that is being worsened due to unnatural sources :

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/15/sc.../15oceans.html

Scientists alarmed by ocean dead-zone growth
Old 14-10-2011, 19:41   #56

'm not sure some of the sources that are given here are unbiased (Chlorox cannot be unbiased in it's saying chlorine bleach is safe and the Science Daily has a one-sided view). Chlorine bleach is harmful or kills living organisms (why we use it in the first place) so it should be used sparingly. I live on and with the ocean & my favorite things to do are to be in the water- scuba, snorkel or sail. I want to minimize my effects on it when I can. I do use bleach to clean water tanks about once a year- but try to limit it when it goes into the ocean.
Sailor g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 19:47   #57

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I'll bet right about now bazzar is sorry he posted this thread.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2011, 20:14   #58
Marine Service Provider

The thing that confuses me is that if I flush the system with fresh water and an hour later (or maybe 8 hours later) I use the head, the fresh water is replaced with sea water again. Is that still beneficial?

Weeellll... if I wash my hands this morning and they're dirty again at lunch time, was washing my hands this morning beneficial? IMO, yes.

Also, is adding vinegar to prevent mineral buildup more effective this way than just dumped in the bowl? I didn't know mineral buildup occurred in the water intake line.

Mineral buildup occurs in any line and pump through which sea water flows. So you want to clean it out of every line and pump in the system.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-10-2011, 03:25   #59

( Sorry for a small thread drifting )
Quote:
The scientists place the problem on runoff of chemical fertilizers in rivers

Read more: Scientists alarmed by ocean dead-zone growth
yes true, do you like to eat?
How you going to feed billions of people if you dont fertilize or use pesticides for food crops?
Fertilizers cost a lot for farmers, its not like they are being wasteful or dont care. If we forced farmers to radical change, IMO, we will see food shortages, and a lot more starvations and plagues. But then some of these environmentalists hope for that to reduce the human population 'plaguing the planet' and exceeding the carrying capacity of the ecosystem.

Did you know we already have 45 million people on food stamps in the USA? The price of food has risen, the economy is hosed and there is no money left to spend as we gave it to the TBTF banks and we can never pay back our debts, we are like Greece and dont realize how bad it already is here.
I have read the only way to pay back the humongous debt will require 90% currency devaluations, now that might spark a new global depression, revolution, world war.
http://money.cnn.com/2011/08/04/pf/f...high/index.htm

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily...131030651.html
Old 15-10-2011, 06:21   #60

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Quote:
Originally Posted by DazeAtSea View Post
So, bleach will kill Hep A but not Hep C?
Hopefully that is not a concept that you find too difficult to grasp.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head