Cruisers Forum
 


Join CruisersForum Today

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 11:36   #1
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Hi there just thought i would post my pics here as well . D10 Hydra cell pump on a 12v dual belt clutch running at 600 to 800 rpm of my Yanmar ex generator engine .

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 004.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	108.0 KB
ID:	30238   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 003.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	117.6 KB
ID:	30239  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture 006.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	110.7 KB
ID:	30240  
__________________

__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 13:44   #2
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Nice lookin unit, did you build it?
__________________

__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:11   #3
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Thanks , Yes its my design and build. There's more to it of course, it's all in a soundproof enclosure now, double sprung . The alternator puts out 260 amps at 1800 rpm it's an Ecotech . I actually just sent the regulator out to them to get it the voltage set point changed to 13.8 v for use with LiFePo4 batteries .

The water maker is fully automatic with an automatic flush as well. 40 gallons an hour . The pump is only working at about 40% of it's capacity , takes about 3hp to spin it when it is engaged .

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:20   #4
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Very nice work. If only I had space for such a unit.
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 14:50   #5
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Sweet. I wish I had that kind of room as well. But it looks like the picture makes it appear a bit larger than it actually is. Is the alternator clutched as well? Plus I see another alternator up front?
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:27   #6
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
Sweet. I wish I had that kind of room as well. But it looks like the picture makes it appear a bit larger than it actually is. Is the alternator clutched as well? Plus I see another alternator up front?
Actually the alternator is driven directly off the crank shaft via a LoveJoy connection. It takes almost 8 HP to spin it under load so I really didn't want to have to worry about belts and also the side load that it would create on the end crankshaft bearing. The engineering was a little tricky but it all runs smooth and quiet .

It was hard to find an alternator that makes big power at very low rpm . Echotec being the only one . The Yanmar runs a steady 1800 rpm as it was from a 8 KW Kohler Genset . The engine had 100 hrs on it when i came across it . Essentially brand new.

I have now installed an aluminium umbrella over the alternator just in case I get any leaks from the pump .

I have it now in a soundshield box , the whole thing measures 45" long 22" wide 26" high .

The alternator in the front is a standard 35 amp unit used just to charge the start battery. The Echotec only charges the house batteries.

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo(6).jpg
Views:	316
Size:	422.4 KB
ID:	54506  
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 16:45   #7
cruiser

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Key West FL - Burlington VT
Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Posts: 493
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

How large a boat is this going in? I'm a rare one here but I enjoy the fab and custom building far more than the sailing. I get 6 months away from my shop and I am so bored. A sunny island paradise is so empty without a welder and drill press. Once again, nice work.
__________________
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2013, 17:04   #8
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Thanks man , I have seen so many crap 20000$ water makers , there had to be a better way .

Believe it or not this will fit in a 1994 Hunter Passage 42 , . will be heading South myself in 4 years , going to take quality stuff with me , hopefully nothing breaks to often

Regards

Yes I get a little bored as well in the winter LOL
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2014, 13:18   #9
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Thanks man , I have seen so many crap 20000$ water makers , there had to be a better way .

Believe it or not this will fit in a 1994 Hunter Passage 42 , . will be heading South myself in 4 years , going to take quality stuff with me , hopefully nothing breaks to often

Regards

Yes I get a little bored as well in the winter LOL

Forget the Hunter , spent the extra and got a Bristol

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:41   #10
Sponsoring Vendor
 
Tellie's Avatar

Community Sponsor

Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Hollywood, Fl.
Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava
Posts: 3,046
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Forget the Hunter , spent the extra and got a Bristol

Regards

I was just thinking of your watermaker set up the other day and was wondering how you were coming along with the expectant launch date.
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 14:57   #11
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
I was just thinking of your watermaker set up the other day and was wondering how you were coming along with the expectant launch date.
Hey Tellie. I just moved my hot water tank out of my engine room last weekend , what a place to put it LOL.

This weekend will be building up the beds/mounts for that generator . I am very excited to get all this stuff up and running .

Do you know of anyone that used a hydra cell pump in a water maker?

I saw one once in a Trintella at a boat show in Annapolis , it was good to see im not totally nuts .

Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2014, 19:46   #12
Registered User
 
Mercator30's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Sequim, Wa
Boat: 78 Rawson 30 Pilothouse
Posts: 28
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Typhoon kudos on your "build". I am now building my combo dc generator/water desalinater, and your build influenced my decisions on how to accomplish this to the level I need and want. Ebay just delivered to me a D-10 Hydra cell...these pumps are bullet proof..can even be run dry. Craigslist presented me with a Kubota tractor frame with a 236 hour D782 20hp Diesel engine.
My challenge is the flywheel coupler. Hayes wants $780 for their bellhousing setup..nice but man is that expensive. But at least I have a plan b with them if nothing else surfaces for solving this aspect of the build.
The assembly needs to fit through a 24x19 Lazarette deck opening making my challenges slightly different than your build, but doable with the mini diesel engine and a small length stub or jack shaft.
Again nice job on your build, literally inspiring..
__________________
Mercator30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014, 10:47   #13
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator30 View Post
Typhoon kudos on your "build". I am now building my combo dc generator/water desalinater, and your build influenced my decisions on how to accomplish this to the level I need and want. Ebay just delivered to me a D-10 Hydra cell...these pumps are bullet proof..can even be run dry. Craigslist presented me with a Kubota tractor frame with a 236 hour D782 20hp Diesel engine.
My challenge is the flywheel coupler. Hayes wants $780 for their bellhousing setup..nice but man is that expensive. But at least I have a plan b with them if nothing else surfaces for solving this aspect of the build.
The assembly needs to fit through a 24x19 Lazarette deck opening making my challenges slightly different than your build, but doable with the mini diesel engine and a small length stub or jack shaft.
Again nice job on your build, literally inspiring..
Thanks very much the kind words.
Yes the Hydra cell pump is bullet proof for a water maker, even at 40 gallons an hour it is hardly working , and never a problem with oil leaking by the pistons and crapping out your membranes .
Post a few pics of your build maybe I can give you a few Idea's
Oh and the generator is in the boat now and awaiting exhaust hookup
Regards
__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 14:51   #14
Registered User

Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Toronto
Boat: Beneteau 393
Posts: 10
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Hi Typhoon, did you get your unit operational? Looks like a fantastic piece of equipment. What was the D-10 pump model you used? It looks like a brass head. I priced a SS head (model D10EKSTSNECB) and it was really expensive. Just wanted to get your specs - I expect there will be little to no issue with brass provided it is flushed after use.
How is the unit working?
Thanks for the info.
__________________
adventurejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2015, 08:07   #15
Registered User
 
typhoon's Avatar

Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Toronto Canada
Boat: Bristol 45.5
Posts: 945
Images: 1
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurejon View Post
Hi Typhoon, did you get your unit operational? Looks like a fantastic piece of equipment. What was the D-10 pump model you used? It looks like a brass head. I priced a SS head (model D10EKSTSNECB) and it was really expensive. Just wanted to get your specs - I expect there will be little to no issue with brass provided it is flushed after use.
How is the unit working?
Thanks for the info.
Yes I was thinking of a stainless pump as well , but the price . These things make so much water you can really give the system a good flush after every use , so I went with the brass head pump. I will get the model off the top and post it .

The system is all installed , i will snap a photo of the control panel and post it this weekend . I'm still in fresh water so I have yet to install the membranes in the pressure vessels and commission the setup . That will come as soon as I get into the salt , it all looks great , looking forward to getting it wet.

Regards
__________________

__________________
typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
watermaker

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DUD John Deere Injector Pump Stuck on Engine - Help! Dondon462 Engines and Propulsion Systems 12 16-08-2011 23:01
Challenge: Check Valves Greg S Challenges 24 26-07-2011 16:19
Route Properties, Missing Functions James Baines OpenCPN 13 13-07-2011 05:31
Bilge pump battery bcguy Plumbing Systems and Fixtures 3 24-06-2011 21:30



Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:41.


Google+
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Social Knowledge Networks
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

ShowCase vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.