Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-11-2015, 06:34   #16

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Re: Hydra Cell D10 Pump for Watermaker

I am using a D10EB pump , I am also using there pressure regulating valve C62 . These are massively built prices of equipment and will last a very long time . Nothing worse then a broken down water maker in the middle of no where.
This is a photo of my control panel . Another over built price of kit . Fully automatic with a 7 day flush function as well . Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1447166073.268086.jpg
Views:	208
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	112714

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-11-2015, 13:25   #17

Boat: Beneteau 393

Looks awesome. Interested to see how it works.
adventurejon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-11-2015, 21:17   #18

Hi Typhoon,
I noticed you are in Toronto. I'm in Richmond Hill and starting a similar project with a Kubota Z482. Where did you source the Lovejoy connection, electric clutch and D-10? I'm likely going to drive a high output 12V alternator instead of a generator which means I'll need to drive both from belts to get the correct gearing so the Lovejoy may not work. I've found a bearing supported stub shaft at Hayes Couplings but looking for a local source.
Old 20-11-2015, 06:29   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventurejon View Post
Hi Typhoon,
I noticed you are in Toronto. I'm in Richmond Hill and starting a similar project with a Kubota Z482. Where did you source the Lovejoy connection, electric clutch and D-10? I'm likely going to drive a high output 12V alternator instead of a generator which means I'll need to drive both from belts to get the correct gearing so the Lovejoy may not work. I've found a bearing supported stub shaft at Hayes Couplings but looking for a local source.

I actually got most of the stuff on Ebay, including the Love Joy connection.

The electric clutch was off a Club Cadet lawn tractor . I was really just looking for a clutch with a 1 inch keyed shaft . Ebay again.

The "generator" is actually an alternator , just one that will put out lots of amps at 1800 RPM so i dont have to belt it.

Good luck with your project , how many amps and how much water do you want to make ?

Regards
Old 21-11-2015, 05:52   #20

I'm looking to land somewhere around 200A for the alternator. I'm planning on replacing my batteries in the spring with a LifePO4 pack so I could even go up to 300A. (I did the math on this and the total cost per AH per year is less than half of Lead Acid when accounting for initial cost and generator run time). I want to be able to do 150-200A at 1800RPM.
Looking to land around 45-60GPH on the watermaker.
Found a single 4" Flimtec membrane and pressure vessel at WaterSurplus that should make upwards of 80 GPH when paired with a D-10 at the same or lower cost than the typical 2.5" dual vessel arrangements that you typically see.
With my Z482, I should be able to generate around 200A while running the watermaker at about 3000RPM. Dropping down to 1800RPM I can run one or the other for quieter operation. Reduced water output but can keep the amps up if not making water.
Essentially this should allow me to run at 3000RPM for the first 30 minutes or so making water and amps, then down to 1800 for the next hour or so to top up the batteries. Way less time than required with the longer charge times on Lead Acid batteries!
Old 23-11-2015, 06:07   #21

Quote:
I'm looking to land somewhere around 200A for the alternator. I'm planning on replacing my batteries in the spring with a LifePO4 pack so I could even go up to 300A. (I did the math on this and the total cost per AH per year is less than half of Lead Acid when accounting for initial cost and generator run time). I want to be able to do 150-200A at 1800RPM.
Looking to land around 45-60GPH on the watermaker.
Found a single 4" Flimtec membrane and pressure vessel at WaterSurplus that should make upwards of 80 GPH when paired with a D-10 at the same or lower cost than the typical 2.5" dual vessel arrangements that you typically see.
With my Z482, I should be able to generate around 200A while running the watermaker at about 3000RPM. Dropping down to 1800RPM I can run one or the other for quieter operation. Reduced water output but can keep the amps up if not making water.
Essentially this should allow me to run at 3000RPM for the first 30 minutes or so making water and amps, then down to 1800 for the next hour or so to top up the batteries. Way less time than required with the longer charge times on Lead Acid batteries!
What boat are you putting this into ?

You could drop by and take a look at my setup , my boat floats all year . You could see how it all runs with the LifePo4 .

Regards
Old 24-11-2015, 08:58   #22

Typhoon could the D10 be run off the front of a motor with a clutch and rib belt. I am in the early stages of planning my water maker for use on a catamaran. I am thinking once I get out of the harbor one engine for propulsion and one for water making.
canadian cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 09:45   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat View Post
Typhoon could the D10 be run off the front of a motor with a clutch and rib belt. I am in the early stages of planning my water maker for use on a catamaran. I am thinking once I get out of the harbor one engine for propulsion and one for water making.
Absolutely !

Thats the best way , you will want to have at a bare minimum a 40 gallon an hour capacity water maker , so two 2.5 X 40" membranes other wise the pump will not be working at all. Watch your RPM the faster you turn these pumps go the more volume you get, so you will have to get a good pressure relief valve. Start at your idle and size the pulleys for the best rpm for the volume you want . The Hydracell web site has all this information including horse power requirements at different speeds .

The most trouble any water maker gives , is the pump . If you build one around a Hydracell pump that weekness is eliminated and the system is much more reliable. Not to mention your membranes last much longer because you never get any oil from the piston pumps fouling them up .

Regards
Old 24-11-2015, 09:46   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian cat View Post
Hi Canadian Cat. I'll offer my (unprofessional) opinion - short answer is "yes" but you'll need to balance the side loads on your crankshaft pulley so as not to overload the bearings. Mounting it opposite the water pump and alternator is best however not always practical because of space. Personally I would not mount it on a belt pulling in the same general direction as the others due to the excessive bearing loads.

You may also want to check with your engine manufacturer for the load limits on the front pulley assembly. Many of them have published limits and exceeding them can void warranties. The D-10 can draw upwards of 5HP when running at 800psi at full capacity. An alternator can draw upwards of 4HP/100A so depending on the size of your alternator, it can add up pretty quickly.
Also, consider the size of pulley you'll need on the pump to run it at the correct speeds based on your engine speed and crankshaft pulley. The D-10E can run up to 1750rpm. You'll need a relatively large pulley on it to keep it in the right range. The pulley can be a limiting factor based on the space you have at the front of your engine (I had to scrap the idea because I simply didn't have enough space to install a pulley that large)
Old 24-11-2015, 10:01   #25

Quote:
Hi Canadian Cat. I'll offer my (unprofessional) opinion - short answer is "yes" but you'll need to balance the side loads on your crankshaft pulley so as not to overload the bearings. Mounting it opposite the water pump and alternator is best however not always practical because of space. Personally I would not mount it on a belt pulling in the same general direction as the others due to the excessive bearing loads.

You may also want to check with your engine manufacturer for the load limits on the front pulley assembly. Many of them have published limits and exceeding them can void warranties. The D-10 can draw upwards of 5HP when running at 800psi at full capacity. An alternator can draw upwards of 4HP/100A so depending on the size of your alternator, it can add up pretty quickly.
Also, consider the size of pulley you'll need on the pump to run it at the correct speeds based on your engine speed and crankshaft pulley. The D-10E can run up to 1750rpm. You'll need a relatively large pulley on it to keep it in the right range. The pulley can be a limiting factor based on the space you have at the front of your engine (I had to scrap the idea because I simply didn't have enough space to install a pulley that large)
This is true, watch your loads, larger engines , like the main engine ,in your boat have greater tolerance to side cranks loads merely because of the larger bearing size . I wouldn't worry to much about it unless the you are putting this on a small engine . Your average high output alternator loads up the crank more , there are lots of people with 160 amp alternators belted to there main engine with little problems and that uses more HP then the Hydracell setup . You will never use one of these pumps at there max unless you really want to make a lot of water .

Regards
Old 24-11-2015, 10:59   #26

Hi Typhoon, I don't think my last post got out. I'm installing on a Beneteau 393. Would love to see your setup. Where are you based? I live in Richmond Hill, but my B393 is in Midland.
Old 24-11-2015, 11:29   #27

Quote:
Hi Typhoon, I don't think my last post got out. I'm installing on a Beneteau 393. Would love to see your setup. Where are you based? I live in Richmond Hill, but my B393 is in Midland.

Just sent you a pm

Regards
Old 24-11-2015, 14:53   #28

Typhoon, what alternator are you using for the low RPM output? I haven't been able to find one that will give me the amps at 1800 rpm without belting with at least a 2:1 ratio. I've looked at Balmar, Zena, Electomaxx etc. Nothing seems to perform until you get to about 3000RPM.
Old 24-11-2015, 15:17   #29

Boat: Outremer 50S

I think he posted somewhere that he is using one of these:

http://www.ecotechalternators.com/wp...t-14V.pdf_.pdf

260A @1800 RPM
Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2015, 16:04   #30

[QUOTE=Dsanduril;1970607]I think he posted somewhere that he is using one of these:

http://www.ecotechalternators.com/wp...t-14V.pdf_.pdf

260A @1800 RPM[/QUOTE

Yes that's the one , fantastic piece of kit . Puts out about 267 amps cold and settles into about 210 when hot at 1800 rpm .

Regards

Tags
watermaker