Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-03-2018, 00:17   #1

Boat: Island Packet 420
Hurricane diesel heating system symptoms

Hello all,

I have a Hurricane diesel heating system on my boat. In the past week I have had 2 incidents which cause me to worry that something may be on its way to needing replacement. In both cases, the boiler did not turn on initially when I turned on the system. I was getting a humming/electrical sound from the service box and a warning code- a different one each time (once was an indicator code for the fan, and the other time it was an indicator code for the solenoid). In both cases, I turned the entire system off for a few minutes and rebooted it, and it then worked fine and fired up. I usually only run it for a short time in the morning and the evening. I am beginning to worry I may have the beginnings of a motherboard issue and would prefer to fix it in warm weather this summer. But once started up, it is working just perfectly.

Any ideas?
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2018, 09:28   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Hurricane diesel heating system symptoms

Have you cleaned the burner and replaced the air filter? Both simple operations if you have OK access to the unit. Also air in the fuel system can have startup issues like this. ITR has good email support.
Old 18-03-2018, 16:55   #3

Boat: Island Packet 420
Re: Hurricane diesel heating system symptoms

After going through the owner's manual again I had a feeling it may be a voltage issue, so I pulled the cover off and took a good look at the wiring. Sure enough, a ground was barely connected. I fixed that up and tightened a few other connections. It has been working fine today, so I will wait and see if the problem recurs.
sailing_gal is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, heating, hurricane