Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 15-08-2011, 15:12   #1

Boat: Island Packet 40
How to Finish Fridge Box

I tore the fridge/freezer out of my IP40 and have re-insulated the space with Dow Blue Board and installed the hatch frame. My plan was to then have fiberglass applied over the blue board to make the box. As my intention was to use fiberglass there are are only a few square joints and walls except where the evaporator is going. There are ample curves and odd angles. Today I had the fiberglass expert from the local boat yard over to take a look. Here is the problem---he tested the resin with the blue board and it melts it. I am hoping someone can help me with a resolution. Are there other finishs that can be applied, would it be possible to apply a paint to protect the board??? He said they could possibly make panels up in the shop and then glass in the joionts---with all the curves and such I feel this would a difficult route. Thanks for any ideas.

Jim

Old 15-08-2011, 15:24   #2

Boat: Allied Seawind 30
Re: How to finish fridge box

Follow-Up to 'Building an Ice Box' - Built !

i pulled flat fiberglassed panels made with 2:1 epoxy and 1708 biax off a flat table, trimed them to fit and cabosiled them in and cabosiled the joints, glad that project is done...

Old 15-08-2011, 15:36   #3

Don Casey has a detailed description on how to construct a fridge box in his book, This old boat.
Old 15-08-2011, 16:30   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 46' custom cat

Jim,

If you are using blueboard (XPS) you will need to use epoxy resin. This will work fine without damaging the foam. Finish up with a good epoxy primer and paint and wait for the beer to get cold. The "expert" from the boatyard should know that polyester resin has styrene in it which will dissolve the foam. Be carefull even with epoxy because if it gets hot enough during cure it will melt right through your foam regardless. Don't ask how I know this.

Mike
Old 15-08-2011, 17:36   #5

Boat: Norseman 447
Re: How to Finish Fridge Box

Jim,

I've done several boxes using either and/or Dow foam or Vacuum panels and just get in there and glass with epoxy resin. I use white epoxy pigment (or any color you might choose) and add it to every batch of epoxy. It starts out a little opague but after buildup looks good. It keeps you from having to paint as paint doesn't stick very well to epoxy and will look bad in a short time. I don't know about using an epoxy paint. It might hold up better. Good luck!!
Old 15-08-2011, 17:57   #6

Boat: Island Packet 40
Re: How to Finish Fridge Box

Cruisers Forum readers are awesome, thanks for all the responses. For every problem there is a solution-----just ask. thanks again

Tags
surface finish, refrigerator

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: