Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2018, 11:32   #46

Boat: Taswell 43
Re: How often do you expect to rebuild your head with full time use?

As anither data point, out Groco Model K needs to be rebuilt 1-2 times each year. The piston has 2 plastic piston rings on it, and about once eacj 4-5 months one of those piston rings (usually it's the upper one) will slip out of the grove and get cross-wise against the cylinder wall. We can usually get it back into the grove for a while, but then it pops back out, the piston either gets very hard to move or jambs.....and we need to take it all apart and replace the piston rings. And since everything is apart, we usually rebuild the whole kit at that point. I've written to Groco to ask how they might recommend fixing the issue.....but nothing but crickets-dead quiet...no reply at all! It's been a very good toilet, with no other issues at all....except the jambed piston ring and the need to rebuild because of it. Frustrating!!! FWIW.
sailcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 12:03   #47

Boat: Valiant 42

It sound like the cylinder wall needs lubrication. Silicone grease is compatible with most rubber seals. But you should check the type of rubber/plastic. Super Lube is also a good general purpose o-ring and seal lubricant. Some types of rubber like glycerin as a lubricant.
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 13:15   #48
Marine Service Provider

It sound like the cylinder wall needs lubrication.

Dan, the W-C Skipper and Groco Model K don't have piston cylinder pumps. I can send you exploded drawings if you'd like to send me a PM that includes your email address.

Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:04   #49

Boat: Wauquiez Hood 38

I will defer to peghall on this but from my personal experience the old Wilcock Crittendens were excellent units and worth rebuilding if parts are available.

Boat Vinyl Lettering and Graphics
Bleemus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 17:11   #50

My cheapie marine head needed zero maintenance during the three years I lived aboard. I believe what does them in is the lack of use. Just prior to living aboard, I opted for changing out the pump rather than rebuilding.
snotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2018, 19:09   #51
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleemus View Post
I will defer to peghall on this but from my personal experience the old Wilcock Crittendens were excellent units and worth rebuilding if parts are available.
The compact W-C Headmate wasn't much, at least not after they started making the pumps in plastic instead of bronze, but the bronze "thrones"--Winner, Imperial and Skipper, were built to last 100 years...I've come across a few that were 50+. Today they'd have $1500+ price tags. Regrettably, not enough people today would pay that much for one (I've known people who've dumpstered 'em and replaced 'em with a Jabsco because they could buy a complete Jabsco toilet for less than the rebuild kit for a Skipper) and Thetford couldn't see enough profit in repair parts for those already in service, so they discontinued 'em.

Peggie
Old 07-04-2018, 19:39   #52

When I rebuilt the W-C skipper about 6 years ago I found a source in CA that carried parts. If anyone is interested I can look through the files to find a contact number. I remember speaking on the phone with a person that was very helpful. Not sure if I still have it, but will look if someone needs it.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 06:18   #53
Marine Service Provider

I often hear from Skipper--and other W-C toilet owners too--who are looking for a parts source. So please do look for it!

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Old 08-04-2018, 07:05   #54

Hi Peggy,

Well my memory must be off since it was just 3 years ago that I rebuilt the skipper toilet. The source was Marine Sanitation and Supply and the fellow I spoke with who was very helpful was Tucker Rawls. phone is 206-633- 1110 and fax 206-633-0317 email tucker@marinesan.com

The metal part that was broken was the piston level which they had for about half the price from another source which I don't remember.
Hope this helps.
lancelot9898 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 07:58   #55

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Jabsco pumps on my heads. Full rebuild, meaning FULL (pump body & all rubber parts), once in 17 years. Replace one rubber part or another, usually joker valve, once every 2-3 years.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:45   #56
Marine Service Provider

That's great information! I know that company (Marine Sanitation in the Seattle area), but only as a dealer for VacuFlush and other Dometic SeaLand parts and equipment...had no idea they also have parts for W-C toilets.

Thank you...I'll add that info to my files!

Peggie
Old 08-04-2018, 10:52   #57
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

So with all this problem why are Lavec vacuum toilets not more common?

Is there a down side of them I don’t know about?
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 15:16   #58
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So with all this problem why are Lavec vacuum toilets not more common? IS there a down side of them I don’t know about?
Only one: they're not very landlubber guest friendly. The typical piston/cylinder manual toilet is intimidating enough to Aunt Martha from Tulsa who's never been on a boat before..to her a Lavac toilet is the toilet on a submarine she's seen erupt in people's faces in movies. Which is why you'll rarely if ever find a Lavac on a "weekend warrior's" boat, while they're quite popular with live-aboard cruisers and and boats owned by people who rarely if ever have landlubbers guests.

Peggie
Old 08-04-2018, 15:30   #59

Boat: Outbound 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
So with all this problem why are Lavec vacuum toilets not more common?

Is there a down side of them I don’t know about?
We had a Lavac for about 3 years. It worked fine but I wouldn't buy one again. If the pump is not mounted in a really open area, then they can be a pain to clean and rebuild, aka messy. They are confusing for guests and no easier than a standard head for the full time residents.
I find our Raritan PH II to be reliable and easy to take care of. If I was making a change it would be to a freshwater electric.
Paul L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 16:43   #60

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop

My Raitan PHII has been reliable over last 6 years but just had to replace the pump. Fairly easy job. I expect to get 10+ years unless another guest drops a AAA battery and I don't find out until the pump jams.
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, rebuild