Join CruisersForum Today

Old 07-02-2015, 11:40   #46
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: How much water do we need?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
So, I was looking at the specs for the katadyn 80e. Am I reading correctly that its 4 gallons per hour and 8 amps per hour? In other words, 8 amps per 4 gallons. If I'm using 20 gallons a day its going to cost me 40 amps a day? That seems like a lot doesn't it? I'm trying to avoid running the engine but is this feasible?

Sent from my SGH-T989D using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
With solar it is feasible and I second the 20 gallons is a lot of water per day for 3 ppl also how will you be powering your refrigerator?

Old 07-02-2015, 11:41   #47
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmoandj View Post
So, I was looking at the specs for the katadyn 80e. Am I reading correctly that its 4 gallons per hour and 8 amps per hour? In other words, 8 amps per 4 gallons. If I'm using 20 gallons a day its going to cost me 40 amps a day? That seems like a lot doesn't it? I'm trying to avoid running the engine but is this feasible?
Bingo....
You just hit the nail on the head of why the Katadyne 80e doesn't make much sense if you have a water usage estimate of about 20Gals/day. The numbers of 3.5GPH for 8A pushes you to a Spectra if you want to stick with a 12v water maker because 40AH/day to make water will kill you unless you have larger than normal solar on the boat.

If you have a Honda 2000 or diesel generator aboard then that opens you up for a 120v AC high output unit.

There isn't a "right or wrong" just different choices to fit what you want and need.

My guess now that Katadyne has purchased Spectra is that they will stop producing their 40 and 80 units....the math, price and output just can't compete with a Spectra. So if you can't compete with the competition....you Buy them, as the saying goes.

SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 14:17   #48
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Boat: FP Athena 38' Poerava

Every year I get asked the same question "What's the smallest and cheapest watermaker you have" When I hear this question I know I'm in for another educational experience. Cruisers come in all sizes and desires. Buying a watermaker on price alone rarely works for most of them. Trying to convince some of them that for another boat buck they can have twice the production at half the energy many times falls on deaf ears, and scrunched eyed looks that are usually reserved for gold chain wearing, cigar smoking, used car salesmen. Katadyn makes a good watermaker that works well and will fit some cruisers needs. They won't stop making them anytime soon because there is a niche for them as well. As I always say, choosing a watermaker that best suits "YOU" not anyone else, takes the Goldilocks approach. Advice from fellow cruisers is important, to a point, and we all want to be frugal with our money. But trying to save money in this area many times can cost you more money in the long run. Running a 40e on a 40'+ boat with three or four people aboard is a situation that is going to cost you a lot more in the not so long run. Come by the boat show next week and I'll have AMI, Katadyn, and Spectra watermakers. We'll compare apples to apples and guide you to a point where you feel comfortable in whatever decision you make. No charge and no cigar smoke.

Also, if I haven't said it before, come to the Saturday night cruisers party and buy a few raffle tickets. You might win the Spectra watermaker I'm donating. That'll fix you up quick!

Halden Marine Services | Marine Watermakers, Solar Panels, Wind Generators
Tellie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2015, 14:19   #49
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tellie View Post
come to the Saturday night cruisers party and buy a few raffle tickets. You might win the Spectra watermaker I'm donating. That'll fix you up quick!
But what happens if I win it?
Old 07-02-2015, 14:23   #50
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
But what happens if I win it?

You've already won. I'm getting you a new gold chain and a box of ceegars
Old 07-02-2015, 14:27   #51
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I love it....but my problem is I rarely have the energy to make it to the end of the raffle especially after I got trampled back in 2011 while waiting in the free beer and pizza line. You should have seen the size of that lady that squashed me like a bug...
Old 07-02-2015, 15:38   #52
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV THIRD DAY View Post
Bingo....

My guess now that Katadyne has purchased Spectra is that they will stop producing their 40 and 80 units....the math, price and output just can't compete with a Spectra. So if you can't compete with the competition....you Buy them, as the saying goes.
Rich while it would make sense to most to stop making them I think they will continue to manufacture them due to the 30 being a contracted manufacture for many governments and the 40 and 80 having many components that are also used in the unit that they are contractually obligated to support
Old 08-02-2015, 03:46   #53
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
Rich while it would make sense to most to stop making them I think they will continue to manufacture them due to the 30 being a contracted manufacture for many governments and the 40 and 80 having many components that are also used in the unit that they are contractually obligated to support
Besides that the Katadyn 40e is half the price of a Spectra 150.

I agree with the others that a 40' boat and a 40e is a bad match. At 3.5 gallons/hour @ 8 amps that adds up to 45+ AH for the 20 gallons and takes just under 6 hours to accomplish it.

Spectra 150 produces the same 20 gallons using 29 AH in 3.2 hours.
Old 08-02-2015, 06:10   #54
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Oyster 53 Cutter

Doesn't sound like the OP plans to ever have women on board with water and electrical production targeted to be so low in the original post. If HE does manage to lure a couple of girls onboard in the beginning, it won't last for long when HE becomes the water and power Nazi. That's a certainty...... or maybe that's the plan.
Old 08-02-2015, 09:53   #55
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitiempo View Post
Besides that the Katadyn 40e is half the price of a Spectra 150.

I agree with the others that a 40' boat and a 40e is a bad match. At 3.5 gallons/hour @ 8 amps that adds up to 45+ AH for the 20 gallons and takes just under 6 hours to accomplish it.

Spectra 150 produces the same 20 gallons using 29 AH in 3.2 hours.
I was going to mention the 80E. While not the same output of the spectra, also considerably lower cost and at 4 gph and 8 amp it would take 5 hrs and 40 AH to produce the 20 gallons the lower cost would more than pay the cost of the additional solar panels. However I do believe we have answered the OP's original question concerning the water maker that is already installed in the vessel he is considering purchasing
Old 08-02-2015, 10:09   #56
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor

With all due respect guys, the price difference between these units is not what has been stated above. Here's the price difference breakdown.
The 40e is about $1,500 less the the Spectra VT150
The 80e is about $500 less than a Spectra VT150.
Your money is better placed on the right watermaker over money spent on additional charging solutions.

Old 08-02-2015, 10:33   #57
Marine service provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
With all due respect guys, the price difference between these units is not what has been stated above. Here's the price difference breakdown.
Your money is better placed on the right watermaker over money spent on additional charging solutions.

Awfully defensive today aren't we while I don't disagree the spectra makes sense for most ppl the OP was wondering about the 40E that was already installed on prospect vessel.
Becides I can install an additional 300 watts solar for under 500
Old 08-02-2015, 17:49   #58
Marine Service Provider

Boat: CS27

Quote:

Not in Canada. Spectra 150 is about 6100 US (manual version) and 40e is 3700 Canadian. And with our dollar trashed currently 6100 US is about 7600 Canadian

Tags
water

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: