Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-01-2020, 05:08   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409
How does an electric toilet work?

How does a basic electric toilet (eg, Jabsco) work? How is the material evacuated? Does it have any "crushing" mechanism?
Thanks
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:45   #2

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
Re: How does an electric toilet work?

Typically there's a macerator which evacuates the bowl. Basically, an impeller pump with sharp, metal blades.

The macerator motor may also have the rinse water pump on the other end of the shaft. One thing I dislike about this arrangement is that you don't have separate "wet" and "dry" modes, so you're sometimes filling the bowl when all you really want to do is empty it. Beyond the inconvenience, this also tends to fill up the holding tank faster.

Some electric models (and every hand-operated model I've seen) do offer the wet and dry options.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 05:47   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

On a single shaft, when you press the button, one pump sends in water to the bowl while the bowl contents go by a chopper blade and then are pumped out through a joker (duckbill) valve. For more detail, get a Jabsco parts drawing online, or wait for the forums "Sewage Queen" Peggy Hall, who knows all there is to know about blackwater, to come online and respond.
Old 17-01-2020, 05:52   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srah 1953 View Post
How does a basic electric toilet (eg, Jabsco) work? How is the material evacuated? Does it have any "crushing" mechanism?
Thanks
They use a macerater type pump .

This type pump can only grind up toilet paper and poop ..no paper towels, no short tail bilge rats, no handy wipes ...

These toilets work very well.

A good brand is https://www.dometic.com/en-us/us/pro...n/boat-toilets

Many other brands available

Best when toilets use fresh water to flush

Next time you visit a boat show have a good look at what’s available

I prefer electric toilets that have the electric ..push to flush ..button mounted on the toilet itself...not on a bulkhead
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 07:15   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Srah 1953 View Post
Thanks

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture.jpg
Views:	572
Size:	303.2 KB
ID:	207097

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	456.7 KB
ID:	207098
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 07:29   #6
Marine Service Provider

Hi Srah...

Sea water electric toilets have two pumps, one that pulls in flush water--typically an impeller (which is called an impeller because it "impels" liquid to go through it), but it can be an electrically operated diaphragm--and another impeller that simultaneously pulls waste out of the bowl while it pushes it down the discharge hose, with something called a macerator--essentially just a blender blade--in between 'em. As impellers become worn, they become less efficient...dry friction heat from running without any water or waste going through 'em will destroy one in as little as 1 minute.To flush, push a button installed in the wall next to it. Most sea water electric toilets draw about 15 amps/flush and use about 2 liters flush water.

There are some that are more sophisticated, have more powerful pumps and fancier flush buttons, some designed to use flush water from the boat's fresh water tank, but that covers the bare bones basics. The most common example of the basic sea water electric toilet is the Jabsco 37010. You can read how it works and how its installed more detail in these pieces Jabsco 37010 Series Electric Toilet and Jabsco 37010 owners manual

I'll be glad to answer any additional questions.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-01-2020, 08:09   #7

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now

I have an upflush electric toilet in my house and it's the same design with the macerator and pump. The drain is only 3/4" pipe which seems crazy but it works well.
Old 17-01-2020, 09:02   #8

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 409

Excellent. Thank you so much.
Srah 1953 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 08:10   #9

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post

Which brand of toilet is this? It looks like mine.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2020, 09:50   #10

Boat: Riva 48

One addition for those with a single motor pump that has two impellers and does wet and dry at the same time. One option to get around this is to connect the sink drain to the toilet flush (gives you automatic fresh water flush without any bacteria issues), then you can control the amount of fresh water available for flush by turning the faucet up or down. As others have said, do not run it completely dry but just reduce the flow to evacuate faster. Best of both worlds.
Pizzazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 14:59   #11

Well, my 25 year old Jabsco 37010 has enough issues that it is cheaper to replace it. I would like to be able to use both fresh water flush when plenty of water is available and salt water when not. The only one I found that does this is the Raritan Marine Elegance for $1200. Another cheaper option would be the fresh water versions of the Master flush 7120 for $470, or Master flush 8120 for $900. Then if I still want the salt water option I could add a salt water pump valve and backflow protection to have both. Anyone done this.

Peggy, what is your favorite fresh water Head currently? I see in older threads it was the Raritan Marine Elegance. Newer system are out now like the Master flush 8120. Do you Have a new favorite?
JeffOnTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 16:33   #12

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Electric toilet is a blender making effluent flavoured smoothies.
Simi 60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2020, 16:49   #13

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simi 60 View Post
Electric toilet is a blender making effluent flavoured smoothies.

Thanks I can’t unread that
Old 10-03-2020, 18:12   #14
Marine Service Provider

I would like to be able to use both fresh water flush when plenty of water is available and salt water when not. The only one I found that does this is the Raritan Marine Elegance for $1200.

The biggest difference between the MasterFlush 8120 and the 8120 is the shape of the porcelain bowl and pedestal.

The Raritan Marine Elegance is still the top rated and most popular choice...and I think you'll find this retailer's price a bit more to your liking Boatersland Marine Elegance Note that each of the boxes on that page is a menu choice. To flush switch between fresh and salt water requires adding Raritan's "SeaFresh" kit Raritan seafresh.pdf consists of a remote intake pump and some relays and switches. It's not included in that price.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electric, oil, work