Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-04-2016, 15:00   #1

How attach 1.5" waste hose to PVC tube?

Need to attach current 1.5" nominal marine waste hose to
new PCV pipe which will be installed in top of holding tank
reaching to bottom.

1.5" PVC has an outer diameter of about 1.9" and seems like too much of a stretch.

Will it fit onto 1.25" PVC?
Do I need an adapter ?
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 15:36   #2

Re: How attach 1.5" waste hose to PVC tube?

Use a PVC female thread adapter and then a nylon male threaded hose barb adapter, both at 1.5".

If in the US, Home Depot will probably have both pieces.
JayH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 16:38   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Camper Nicholson 44 Ketch

Sealand makes an adaptor you can purchase.

Chris
witzgall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:00   #4
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

why mess with weird adaptors. make the sani hose work for you. measure id of each . od is meaningless. have fun.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 17:37   #5
Marine Service Provider

The OD of the hard pipe is NOT meaningless because it has to fit the ID of the hose. The simplest solution: go back to the hardware store where you bought the hard pipe (or any other hardware store that has a plumbing dept) and buy another length of pipe. Nominal 1.25 pipe should fit, but this time take a piece of hose with you to be sure you get pipe that fits, but is a tight enough fit to require warming the hose a little and lubing it with dish soap to the get hose onto it.

It should be long enough to touch the bottom of tank with at least 3" above the tank to put the hose on. Cut the bottom of the tube off at about a 25 degree angle. Any less will let TP or solids get stuck under it...any more will leave more in the tank than you need to.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 18:51   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
Nominal 1.25 pipe should fit, but this time take a piece of hose with you to be sure you get pipe that fits, but is a tight enough fit to require warming the hose a little and lubing it with dish soap to the get hose onto it.
I'm humbled to get help from the expert. We got your book a couple years ago and since converted to a fresh water flush, huge improvement!

I didn't buy any pipe yet but after researching see that a 1.5" PVC pipe would be too large to fit inside standard 1.5" hose. Maybe I should buy new hose first that will match my deck fitting, bring that to the hardware store to fit the pipe, then buy the right Uniseal fitting.

Current issue is the holding tank pump out tube has fallen off where it attaches internally to the exit hose. The much simpler approach you describe of a solid piece extending above the tank won't suffer that problem. The plan is to use a Uniseal to hold the pipe in place.
Will drill a new hole to fit the new Uniseal.

Still need to figure out a way to permanently close off the old hole.
dave777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 19:08   #7

Boat: Sabre 38

I had a very similar quest, but for a 1'' holding tank vent hose going to a 1'' PVC installed in the tank via a Uniseal.

I found this guy, which I think will work...

https://flexpvc.com/cart/agora.cgi?p...n&ppinc=detail

Mine (a 1" slip socket by 1" barb) hasn't arrive for me to verify, but it seems promising.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum

s/v Carpe Ventum
1983 Sabre 38
My Intro
fallingeggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 20:14   #8

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Jay H's reply is correct. A 1.5" hose has an ID of 1.5". Regards Peggy's recommendation, a 1 1/4" pipe has an OD of 1.66". You might get that into your hose, and you might not. The plumbing fitting which is designed to attach hose to pipe is a hose barb. Hose barbs will fit your hose and they will are designed to seal. Attach a 1.5" hose barb to your pipe, slip on the hose, install hose clamps and you're done.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-04-2016, 21:47   #9

Boat: Liberty 458

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave777 View Post
Need to attach current 1.5" nominal marine waste hose to
new PCV pipe which will be installed in top of holding tank
reaching to bottom.

1.5" PVC has an outer diameter of about 1.9" and seems like too much of a stretch.

Will it fit onto 1.25" PVC?
Do I need an adapter ?
Hoses dont stretch. What is the id of your hose. Match it to the correct adapter.

You cannot and should not put a big hose on a small adapter and expect it to seal with a clamp.

Your adapter should be barbed and not smooth.

Some heat can help install some hoses. Think hair dryer heat.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 07:11   #10
Marine Service Provider

Regards Peggy's recommendation, a 1 1/4" pipe has an OD of 1.66".

Depends om the wall thickness..and it can vary considerably. Which is why I recommended taking a piece of hose with him to check the fit.
Old 29-04-2016, 07:49   #11

Boat: 1978 Pearson 424 Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayH View Post
Use a PVC female thread adapter and then a nylon male threaded hose barb adapter, both at 1.5".

If in the US, Home Depot will probably have both pieces.
as recommended above, will work well. All the parts are easily available, without jury rigging. if this a new thread from an older on of running pipe instead of hose, the hose does't need to be more than a foot or so. lt's just to absorb vibration to keep rigid pipe from cracking at joints. If your using hard vinyl hose use a heat gun to heat the end a little to slide it over the hose barb. It'll slide right on easily, then hose clamp it and let it cool. It'll be hell to get off, but here again heat it;-)

Have a mess free day
Lance
tinkrman69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 08:32   #12

Boat: Jeaneau, International 50

I am in the process of replacing my leaky stainless holding tanks with plastic made by Plastic Mart.

My understanding is that pump out fittings use a 2" hose according to standards.

My solution connecting the 2" Schedule 40 PVC threaded hole to an 1.5" ID PCV pipe in the tank to the 2" hose to the deck fitting is a single part I got at Budget Marine. Is a marlon 2" PVC thread to a 2" hose barb adapter which fit the 2" OD marine hose. The 1.5" PVC pipe fits exactly inside the fitting into the tank. I will post a pic as soon as I figure out how.

Capt Ed
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160429_112220_resized.jpg
Views:	1539
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	123447  
SeeMonstrEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 09:25   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeeMonstrEd View Post
I am in the process of replacing my leaky stainless holding tanks with plastic made by Plastic Mart.

My understanding is that pump out fittings use a 2" hose according to standards. Capt Ed
Nope...the standard size, in the US anyway, for all sanitation hoses is 1.5" ID (hose OD can vary considerably with wall thickness)...and that's the only size that will fit any deck pumpout fitting sold in the US.

Btw...Plastics Mart is a retailer for Ronco Plastics tanks Ronco Plastics Marine Catalog You can buy direct from Ronco (no relation to the VegoMatic Ronco, btw) for considerably less $$. They may also have a larger selection 'cuz they have more than 400 shapes and sizes, over 100 of which are non-rectangular, and and they install fittings in the sizes and locations specified by the customer when they make the tank.
Old 29-04-2016, 10:34   #14

Boat: Custom cutter, 42'

Regards the OD of pipe, it does NOT depend on wall thickness. Pipe is specified by OD. Pipe wall thickness is specified by the schedule number, schedule 40 is the most common. Pipe ID varies with the wall thickness, but the OD remains constant.

Hose is just the opposite, it is specified by the ID, and the OD will vary with the wall thickness.

Pipe and hose are two different categories.
Pauls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-04-2016, 12:13   #15

Boat: Chung Hwa Boat Builders, Magellan 36

Some of the hose and pipe sizes are some OD in which case a simple pipe coupling will work. If the hose is also PVC then PVC glue will join both. If the materials are different, you may have to use appropriate glue for each material. Happy plumbing
foufou is offline   Reply With Quote