Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-10-2010, 01:53   #1

Hot Water System - Extra Hot Water Needed ?

Hi,
I have a lagoon 410 which I will be skipper chartering around Cornwall, with the emphasis on a home from home/messing about on the river angle.
There is a 40 litre hot water tank heated via a calorifier. I could be taking up to 6 guests and as a quick shower can use between 20-30 litres, it will quickly empty. Any suggestions regarding the installation of another tank or an alternative system, or even any feedback from people who manage with the same type of system would be very much appreciated.
Tim.
Harben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:50   #2

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harben View Post
Hi,
a quick shower can use between 20-30 litres, it will quickly empty. Any suggestions regarding the installation of another tank or an alternative system,
Me and mine could have a shower on one of these and have water left over and she has long hair and washed it

Thats a few litres of water each

Old 05-10-2010, 04:49   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
We have a 50 liter calorifier on our Moody 54 and it is enough to shower six people in comfort.

We have an Eberspaecher hydronic heating system, as I imagine you also must sailing where you do (not the tropics, eh mate?) which is capable of putting probably 4 or 5 kilowatts of heat into the calorifier, besides heating the boat. I switch that on in the morning (even if the boat doesn't need heating) before people start taking their showers. If I need a generator run I do that at the same time and switch on the electrical water heater element too. The electrical water heater element is good because it is the only means of raising the calorifier up to its highest temperature. When the calorifier gets up to its max temperature, near boiling, it contains more heat energy and produces a greater volume of hot water (it's mixed with cold water as it comes out of the calorifier).

Having both the Eberspaecher and the electrical heating element on at the same time doesn't exactly heat the water as fast as people use it, but it comes close.

The other absolutely key thing to ensure abundant hot water:

We always instruct guests there are only 10 gallons of hot water on board. They can wash as long and as much as they want, but they must switch off the water between soapings if they don't want a cold shower at the end (sorry mates -- life at sea). If the guests do this, then water usage is cut by at least 2/3 and 50 liters is plenty for six or more people.

If none of this works I believe on your boat you could install a second calorifier to double your capacity.

Good luck.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:59   #4

Boat: Privilege 37
Much of it is management. We stagger the showers. Some take their showers in the evening, some during the morning. If you wait about an hour between showers, the water will be reheated in the tank. We also ask folks to turn the water off while soaping up.

There has been much discussion on the instant heat, propane shower nozzles, that, along with the tank would probably do for supporting that many folks.

How big is you water tank?
Strygaldwir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:09   #5

Boat: Beneteau Idylle 15.5m
I agree with the "Navy shower": Water on to wet down then water off. Soap up with water off, then rinse. Only uses 4 -5 liters per shower this way.
Troubadour52993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 05:15   #6

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubadour52993 View Post
I agree with the "Navy shower": Water on to wet down then water off. Soap up with water off, then rinse. Only uses 4 -5 liters per shower this way.
40 liters of near-boiling water will make about 80 liters of warm water.

A strict sailor's "Navy Shower" with just the briefest of rinses is not necessary. If the guests will just not let the water run for nothing while they're washing themselves, they can have as long and luxurious of rinses as they like, and still not use more than 10-odd liters per shower.

My guests have all been able to understand that and we have never had any problems with hot showers on our present boat.
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 06:06   #7

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
If the guests will just not let the water run for nothing while they're washing themselves, they can have as long and luxurious of rinses as they like, and still not use more than 10-odd liters per shower.
Your guests have a much more frugal concept of luxury than some of mine have had.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 21:48   #8

If you have a hydronic heater you can add a "flat plate" heat exchanger and have "endless" hot water.

We have one and get really hot water in a few minutes after we start it. Last as long as your water tank.
wingover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 16:20   #9
MPB

Boat: 1977 32' Islander sloop - Querubim
Have you considered tankless water heaters ? There are a number in the market. Very reliable and really do provide endless hot water. It is a basic system used in europe which has been gaining interest in the U.S. I have had one, made by Precision Temp, which is specific for marine use. I have had one for the last 20 years and it has never failed - a bit pricey, but you can find many good alternatives through the internet. They run on PG or CNG.
MPB is offline   Reply With Quote