Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2016, 09:13   #1

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Hose barb to pex in fiberglass tank

Folks,

Looking for some plumbing advise regarding a conversion from hose barbs to pex tubing connectors.

Our boat has a drop-in/glassed-in fiberglass tank from 1987 that is in great shape - we may consider replacing it in the future but its one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it things". The water exits the tank via a hose barb that is glassed in at the side-bottom of the tank.

In our eyes, our optimum solution would be to completely move away from the old hose barb to a direct PEX fitting but I am having difficulty conceiving of the best way to convert the old PVC hose barb.

Option 1: cut out the old hose barb and glass in a new fitting
Option 2: fill the old hose barb and create a new hole and new fitting.
Option 3: fill in the old hose barb and then draw from the top of the tank from a new port.

I don't see anyone that makes a pex fitting suitable for glassing in.

Any ideas are appreciated...
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 10:17   #2

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Hose barb to pex in fiberglass tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by zboss View Post
Folks,

Looking for some plumbing advise regarding a conversion from hose barbs to pex tubing connectors.

Our boat has a drop-in/glassed-in fiberglass tank from 1987 that is in great shape - we may consider replacing it in the future but its one of those "if it ain't broke don't fix it things". The water exits the tank via a hose barb that is glassed in at the side-bottom of the tank.

In our eyes, our optimum solution would be to completely move away from the old hose barb to a direct PEX fitting but I am having difficulty conceiving of the best way to convert the old PVC hose barb.

Option 3: fill in the old hose barb and then draw from the top of the tank from a new port.

A short piece of hose or tubing attached to the barb and then to a PEX fitting. Cost <$5. Time: <1/2 hour.
Old 19-01-2016, 10:17   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

The simple fix is to go from pex to male with a sharkbite fitting then add a female to hose adapter. Two extra fittings and no mucking about changing the hose barb.

You could add a tank bulkhead fitting which is what a through hole is.

http://www.amazon.com/Banjo-TF100-Po...khead+fittings

This does require inside access to install. But it's probably what your thinking of
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2016, 10:35   #4

Location: Meandering about the Gulf of Alaska coast [NNE Pacific]— where the internet doesn't always shine... [Even Elon's...] Homeport: Wrangell Island
Boat: Nauticat 43 [S&S Staysail Ketch]

Quote:
Folks,

Zboss,

In a similar recent thread about similar issues with holding tanks, Peggy Hall recommended using a Uniseal.

I haven't tried them yet, and don't know if you can get materials usable for potable water, but I think it may be worth a look.

The Uniseals are so cheap I'm considering stocking various sizes in my spares kit.

In case this is worth considering for your current needs.

Cheers!

Bill
Old 20-01-2016, 18:51   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
A short piece of hose or tubing attached to the barb and then to a PEX fitting. Cost <$5. Time: <1/2 hour.
I had thought about that.

I'd like to get away from all the vinyl tubing and especially the nipples from 1987 Coast Rica which are probably still leaching banned chems into our water.

I went to home depot today to try and find a PEX fitting that was along the lines of what sailorchick34 mentioned but it looks like I'd have to go with her fitting and attach it to a PEX fitting, rather than just have a unified fitting.
Old 20-01-2016, 19:13   #6

Boat: Cabo Rico 38 / Bayfield 32

That's exactly what I plan to do for our tanks. Bulkhead fitting to NPT - PEX adapter.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Saltyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-01-2016, 19:18   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
I had thought about that.

I'd like to get away from all the vinyl tubing and especially the nipples from 1987 Coast Rica which are probably still leaching banned chems into our water.

I went to home depot today to try and find a PEX fitting that was along the lines of what sailorchick34 mentioned but it looks like I'd have to go with her fitting and attach it to a PEX fitting, rather than just have a unified fitting.
Yes, I tried to find a single fitting too and I don't think it exists. Still two fittings are better then one.

Most of the fittings you buy from US sources from five years ago onward will be lead free with aluminum substituted for the lead in bronze. That's due to California banning all lead in brass/bronze fittings and valves a few years ago.

For domestic / potable water, brass rather then bronze was safer as there is no lead in the mix.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-04-2016, 18:10   #8

I have an update.

After moving a bunch of stuff out of the way it was determined that the plastic fitting was first connected to a bronze fitting which in turn was embedded in the fiberglass tank. So, I just removed the plastic and screwed in a new PEX fitting - so everything is hunky dory. In fact, we have completed the conversion of the water system to all PEX and it is MUCH MUCH better tasting. We also added a carbon block filter and a pelican knock off. Although we did not use a true manifold, we can turn off most lines individually.

We also added a thermostatic mixing valve to the hot water heater - now we don't scald ourselves and our hot water lasts a lot longer. I wish they made a two gallon hot water heater - we don't need anything close to 6!

Tags
fiberglass