Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2013, 19:52   #16
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'
Re: Horrible smell found, now how to keep it away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... you should try showering in motels in NY State... serious bad eggs... and the Pamlico area you can smell the bracken... with your tap water services its no wonder you folk only drink bottled water..

Depends on the cause of the smell. From public works water is an entirely different thing than a stagnant, enclosed water tank.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 20:33   #17

Boat: PETERSON 44
I think you shock it with chlorine and rinse as described. Then put treated water in and change it every 6 months or so. Unless you can ventilate and completely dry it. Keep it full of treated water. Use it once its good.
Some water has a heavy sulphur smell usually its well water and it has no treatment. So you add chlorine in small cap full. Still it needs to be used and or changed out on occasion.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2013, 21:31   #18

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray View Post
I think you shock it with chlorine and rinse as described. Then put treated water in and change it every 6 months or so. Unless you can ventilate and completely dry it. Keep it full of treated water. Use it once its good.
Some water has a heavy sulphur smell usually its well water and it has no treatment. So you add chlorine in small cap full. Still it needs to be used and or changed out on occasion.

Adelaide water has a lot of chlorine, so I am hopeful that changing the water regularly will help. Plus a SMALL quantity of bleach as suggested.
GILow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2013, 02:37   #19

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
One thing i will comment on is we have a tree farm/ acreage in Fl and one of our larger campers has a 50 gal water tank. We add a few cups of chlorine / bleach to it when it wont be used for a few months. Last year we had some horrible thick algae growth going on. I guess the chemicals either wear off or theres some bacteria it does not kill.
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 00:40   #20

Boat: 45ft Ketch

In the toilet smells threads they say don't use bleach because it damages various bits and pieces. I'm thinking this would only be the case if concentrated and left for a while. I suggest after using bleach the tank should be washed clean. Free chlorine doesn't last long so the disinfecting effect of bleach has a limited life
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 03:53   #21

Boat: Twin Otter de Havilland Floatplane

The advice given about using bleach is a sound one. Just be careful of the amount used, as bleach will eventually corrode metals. Boatman's suggestions are on target; cap-full quantities of bleach are enough to retard most bacterial growth.

Mauritz
Old 27-06-2013, 04:01   #22

What are the tanks made of? Are they foamed in place? My boat has keel tanks and I've had a terrible smell. Turned out that the fiam used to install the tanks was full of water . Worst smell ever .
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 05:18   #23
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Adelaide water has a lot of chlorine, so I am hopeful that changing the water regularly will help. Plus a SMALL quantity of bleach as suggested.
FWIW
Not sure if it has already been mentioned but Adelaide water also contains a fair amount of mineral salts.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 05:30   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bohemian17 View Post
What are the tanks made of? Are they foamed in place? My boat has keel tanks and I've had a terrible smell. Turned out that the foam used to install the tanks was full of water . Worst smell ever .
Yikes
Bohemian17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 06:51   #25
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post

You don't "shock" with a small amount of chlorine. You use more than appropriate, let it sit a couple of hours to a day, hopefully sloshing the boat around (I took mine out for a sail.

Then you drain it out and do it all again, five times.

Then you RINSE it a couple of times by using water with a small quantity of water.

It is hard to get chlorine into all the little (and I do mean little) nooks and crannies it has to get into. Shocking uses a lot more bleach than normal use of the water tank does.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:52   #26
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
In the toilet smells threads they say don't use bleach because it damages various bits and pieces. I'm thinking this would only be the case if concentrated and left for a while. I suggest after using bleach the tank should be washed clean. Free chlorine doesn't last long so the disinfecting effect of bleach has a limited life

Yes. We were talking about a water tank. I would not use lots of chlorine in my head system.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:55   #27
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
One thing i will comment on is we have a tree farm/ acreage in Fl and one of our larger campers has a 50 gal water tank. We add a few cups of chlorine / bleach to it when it wont be used for a few months. Last year we had some horrible thick algae growth going on. I guess the chemicals either wear off or theres some bacteria it does not kill.

Chlorine is "volatile" -- it evaporates rather rapidly out of the water. That's why the tank needs to be shocked repeatedly. It can all be gone before it's gotten to where the little critters/plants can hide. That's also why I recommend taking the boat out and tossing it around a bit -- to get that water into all the nooks and crannies possible before the chlorine has escaped the water.
Old 27-06-2013, 06:59   #28
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i find vinegar works best in mine, but then i reside on board full time, so there is no runaway odor problem....and it only has to be used one time to experience good results ... and there are many things chlorine doesnt kill....it will turn em white so you think it is killed, tho....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 06:59   #29

I had to shock-treat my water tank, and when I ran the water out vis the taps, the taps clogged with algae (or whatever).

So if, when you clean, the faucets get clogged, take them apart and clean the screens. Or, more intelligently than I, just take the faucet screens out before running the shocked water out
tamicatana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2013, 06:59   #30

Boat: In the hunt again, unknown

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
LOL... you should try showering in motels in NY State... serious bad eggs... and the Pamlico area you can smell the bracken... with your tap water services its no wonder you folk only drink bottled water..
New York is a BIG state Phil, I can guarantee many of the towns and villages upstate have very good (and pure) water with no "rotten egg" smell or taste.

Khagan1227 is offline   Reply With Quote