Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2010, 16:48   #16

Boat: 1976 Hudson Force 50
CalebD, yea that would be bad news but 1" tank vent lines that are 24" in length and no filter are pretty tough to stop up...
yacht_planb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 16:49   #17

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
I've owned and chartered many boats which have varied from notably stinky to no noticeable smell at all. My observation is that this has little do with the vent, and a lot to do with the hose used, any leaks, the tank and most importantly how quickly and thoroughly the sewage is washed out.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 18:58   #18

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
What type of fitting did you use to add a line to the tank? Something with threads and a gasket I presume?
There was an extra pipe nipple on the top with a pvc cap on it. I replaced the cap with fittings I either put together or made I (sad that already I can't remember) that terminated in a hose barb.

Had there not been the extra nipple, I would have replaced the one elbow on top with a tee so I'd still be able to add a vent line . Wouldn't have helped circulating air in the tank near as much, but it would have solved the problem of fumes coming out the head.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2010, 19:53   #19

Boat: Monk 36 Trawler
I have been looking at this for a while,
I checked out the components of the GROCO Sweettank system online, it appears to be a small 12V air Pump with a pvc pipe and an air stone to make bubbles at the bottom of the tank. Look here: GROCO SWEETANK ODOR NEUTRALIZATION SYSTEM - Waste Holding Tanks by Discount Marine Supplies

I also found a this livewell aerator system which may do the job Marine Metal Products Power Bubbles : Cabela's

I''ll be trying it out this summer, my tank has a removeable inspection cover on the top which I can use to run the air line down to the bottom without making a new hole in the tank. The tank odor is not bad in my boat but when the wind is right (wrong) the vent can be smelled out side and enters through the door. I have read that per Peggy Hall no chemicals should be used in the tank as they kill the "good" bacteria.
Will yeasts live in salt water, or a holding tank recieving salt water flushed waste?
Steve
stevensc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 16:37   #20

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevensc View Post
I have been looking at this for a while,
I checked out the components of the GROCO Sweettank system online, it appears to be a small 12V air Pump with a pvc pipe and an air stone to make bubbles at the bottom of the tank. Look here: GROCO SWEETANK ODOR NEUTRALIZATION SYSTEM - Waste Holding Tanks by Discount Marine Supplies

I also found a this livewell aerator system which may do the job Marine Metal Products Power Bubbles : Cabela's

I''ll be trying it out this summer, my tank has a removeable inspection cover on the top which I can use to run the air line down to the bottom without making a new hole in the tank. The tank odor is not bad in my boat but when the wind is right (wrong) the vent can be smelled out side and enters through the door. I have read that per Peggy Hall no chemicals should be used in the tank as they kill the "good" bacteria.
Will yeasts live in salt water, or a holding tank recieving salt water flushed waste?
Steve

Steve---

Can you share with us how your system is working out???

Thanks--

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 17:35   #21

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
We should hold a design competition here on the forum to design a pump that aerates the holding tank using only the motion of the boat. Might be a problem in marinas though...
Nah, just encourage everyone to motor past making a big wake...

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 19:56   #22

Most boats have their holding tank vents down "low" meaning not very far above the water. Ever wondered why houses have their vents on the roof? Suggest instead of air-ing out the tank, get the vent " up in ther air". We did this and lost our "boat fart".

Tags
holding tank