Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-07-2012, 17:08   #16

Boat: Lagoon 440
Re: Holding Tank Venting

Boat Holding Tank Installation | eHow.com

Pay particular attention to the comment regarding methane build up in the tank. A gauze prevents risk of flashback or a drain/vent line from top of tank to say 100mm above waterline probably more for heeling! will dump gases out.....Safely no gauze needed.
Cheers
Old 25-01-2013, 22:48   #17

Boat: Catalina 27

GypsyHawk
I am currently going throught the same process as you on my old Catalina 27 that never had a holding tank installed. Ive been browsing the old "head mistress" discussions for months now as Ive been asking myself the same question, as well as if I really need a macerator pump. Ive come up with these conclusions. #1.Poop stinks #2. Im going to run one vented/looped waste hose to the tank, then after the tank put a macerator in, then a Y that can feed to the pump out or side discharge. Im using 5/8 for a vent and doing the pump out and vent under at the transom and compartment in the rear cockpit.

1.Is the transom a suitable place for the vent, given it is often the part of the boat most protected from air movement?
-Yes. Put it where you can maximize: less installation hassle, shortest length from tank, and less future complications. I contemplated doing vent ports and pump out fitting on the side of the hull and then said NO WAY. Not only will it look awkward, ill always worry about leaking from rain and ocean water and probably further complication.
Regarding stink/fumes/bees/clogging, you can throw a SEALAND
SaniGard™ Holding Tank Vent Filter on it. I would possibly detach it during pump out for maximum airflow if using smaller vent hoses.

2. Do I need another vented loop between the holding tank and the direct overboard discharge (underwater through hull fitting)?

-No. Not if you install correctly. Nothing will make it to the toilet because of the vented loop, and your Y valve (which you have to use at some point) will block return to your tank whether you put it on before or after your tank if it is open to your side discharge. How often are you really sailing around with your overboard seacock open? (this can incur quite a fine if caught within 3 miles off shore)
Jado27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:54   #18

Question Re: Holding Tank Venting

When I had the pump out service out to my 1978 35 foot Ta Yang boat today we drew a vacuume lock and only drew out minimal discharge. Kinda not what was expected.
If the vent is blocked with debris at the tank is it safe to run a wire or cable chaser through the topside outlet downto the tank to clear the obstruction or would it be better advised to blow it out whith compressed air.
If using air pressure, what is a safe PSI to apply?

Thank you in advance for any ideas shared on this matter.

Steve Farmer

S/V E L F ADVENTURES
Stephen Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 15:59   #19

Boat: Lagoon 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Farmer View Post
If the vent is blocked with debris at the tank is it safe to run a wire or cable chaser through the topside outlet downto the tank to clear the obstruction or would it be better advised to blow it out whith compressed air.
If using air pressure, what is a safe PSI to apply?

Thank you in advance for any ideas shared on this matter.
Unless a pressure vessel never go over 3lb/sq/inch or it will burst, just for fun work out how many square inches of surface area are in your tanks and multiply by 3 for the pressure, thats the force trying to flatten your tank out.

Use water spray to wash it away but don't use hose pressure! Same rules apply!!!
Old 03-02-2013, 16:07   #20

Good advice. I will pressurize the vent with a water stream without placing the hose hard against the vent. Probably a good idea to stand clear for the back flow to errupt.
Stephen Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:17   #21

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen Farmer View Post
Good advice. I will pressurize the vent with a water stream without placing the hose hard against the vent. Probably a good idea to stand clear for the back flow to errupt.
Remove the tank inspection cover first. Put a bowl up-side-down over the hole with a rock, or something to hold it down so the air pressure doesn't blow it off.

Then you can use the hose to back flush the vent line. Just make sure the hose ends are on good.
Old 03-02-2013, 16:35   #22
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch

Dont use 5/8 vent, its super commen but to small and will clog at some point. Use a regular 1" bronze thur hull, and put it close to the tank. If your tank is in the back against the transom put it there, but if its not just put it through the side. keep the hose to 18".
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 16:42   #23
cruiser

Also you're post says a vented loop in the waste hose to the tank, you dont need a loop from head to tank as there is no risk of flooding. Any of the cheaper macerater pumps stink and can drip, spend $300 on a good diaphram pump.
Old 03-02-2013, 16:56   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Also you're post says a vented loop in the waste hose to the tank, you dont need a loop from head to tank as there is no risk of flooding. Any of the cheaper macerater pumps stink and can drip, spend $300 on a good diaphram pump.
Macerater pumps are for breaking down the mass into very small pieces so it is per the pump out regulations.

PART 159--MARINE SANITATION DEVICES :: CHAPTER I--COAST GUARD, DEPARTMENT OF HOMELAND SECURITY :: Title 33 - Navigation and Navigable Waters :: Code of Federal Regulations :: Regulations :: Law :: Justia
Old 03-02-2013, 17:25   #25
cruiser

The dia pump I have is a real mangler and the output is the same as the first 2 spinning macerater pumps I had. For one I doubt any water cop is going to examin the fine sludge, and Two its illegal to do inshore so whos gonna be out 3 or 12 miles to inspect it. Man you must be really bored to bust my balls about this, You're splitin hairs here. Ground up ****, is ground up ****. Maybe you are not familier with the good dia pumps, but they spin quick and tear it up pretty damn good.
Old 03-02-2013, 17:58   #26

First off not all locations has to go off shore to dump (NDZ).

Second I'm doing my best to give correct information in relation to local regulations. Giving bad advice is irresponsible! It's an attitude like that which causes the heat to come down on all of us.

Do you like inspections? I know FL has a lot of them and an attitude like that is probably the reason why!

And BTW overboard pumps are not even required on Type III MSD's

As for being bored, NOT! It's winter here and armchair sailing is common for us Norsemen.

So, please try to give legal/regulated advise, it's most appreciated! Opinions are a different subject, they are like ********, every body has one.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:05   #27
cruiser

I guess I'm a bit fuzzy on what the hell your talking about. My advice was to use a quality pump and go where required to pump. So chill out and don't play the "I'm correcting you cause I know better" route. That just angers people.
Old 03-02-2013, 18:10   #28
cruiser

Yes, I'm in florida and do deal with inspections, but am in 100% compliance so its ok, I'm confused as to what you think is inaccurate?
Old 03-02-2013, 18:21   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
Yes, I'm in florida and do deal with inspections, but am in 100% compliance so its ok, I'm confused as to what you think is inaccurate?
Substituting a diaphragm pump in place of a macerater. Marine Sanitation Devices | Vessel Water Discharge | US EPA

By fine, my apologies!
Old 03-02-2013, 18:56   #30
cruiser

I never really thought about in, the spinning macerators suck, well they actually dont and prime hard. So I went to defender looking for a better pump and they had several dia pumps one 250 and another 420, I got the 250 and if it fails I'll gt the 420. I find with yacht equipment the more it cost, the better, longer it will work. I'm like anti-frugal, never look for cheap anything, the only real deals are on name brand stuff-new. It comes from my german car obcession (customer service and owning). It boils down to if your fixing your own boat, and you dont wanna buy $8 a foot hose or $10 T-band stainless clamps just for a bilge pump. Your boat will be sub-par junk, eventually (soon).