Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-07-2014, 13:30   #1
CLOD

Boat: none
Holding Tank Vent Hose Material

Any reason not to use EDPM engine water type hose for a holding vent line? I need to replace my permeated vent hose and don't really want to use the cheap white sani hose, but is seems the quality sanitation hose isn't available in 3/4". But there is 3/4" EPDM engine water hose, which is the same material as Tridents 101 hose.

BTW - it turned out that the macerator pump discharge hose for my holding tank was factory installed using wet exhaust black hose, so it would seem the use is OK.
Old 20-07-2014, 13:50   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: holding tank vent hose material

Were using the raw water hose for our vent, 4 years now and no problem. I do back flush with freshwater through the vent whenever we pump out.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 13:36   #3
CLOD

I just went ahead and used the white sani hose as that is what the store had and I needed to stop the smell.

My head hose replacement project is now up to $479 for just the parts and I still have a vent and pump out hose to replace on one of the tanks.

Based on the amount of time it has taken me if I had had the marinia do it it would have racked up $800+ in labor. That of course is highly skilled labor
Old 21-07-2014, 14:31   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Yes, white hose for vents is still the answer. It seems to permeate more slowly in this application.
Old 21-07-2014, 14:36   #5
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater View Post
Yes, white hose for vents is still the answer. It seems to permeate more slowly in this application.
I would beg to disagree. My forward tank hoses permeated so bad a couple of weeks ago that it was close to chasing me off the boat and my eyes burned for 2 days afterward. I replaced the big hoses and there was still an odor problem and it turned out to be the vent hose.

At least the vent hose was "easy" to replace.

word of advise - replace ALL the tanks hoses if you have a bad one and use the good hose if planning to keep the boat a few years!
Old 21-07-2014, 16:05   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
I would beg to disagree. My forward tank hoses permeated so bad a couple of weeks ago that it was close to chasing me off the boat and my eyes burned for 2 days afterward. I replaced the big hoses and there was still an odor problem and it turned out to be the vent hose.

At least the vent hose was "easy" to replace.

word of advise - replace ALL the tanks hoses if you have a bad one and use the good hose if planning to keep the boat a few years!
I feel your pain, and yes, replace them ALL at the same time.

How old were the hoses? How many feet and how much vertical drop? What size (5/8" I'm guessing)? (I suspect very poor ventilation) Had a nitrate or enzyme holding tank treatment been used regularly (every few weeks in season--they really help)? If your eyes were burning, the answer to the latter question was probably no. I ask because I collect data for future magazine reports. There is nothing like field data; so often experiences vary and it's nice to know why.

There are differences between white hoses and I sure wish some of the better hoses were available in small sizes. But unless someone speaks up, I think the conventional wisdom is that there are not. I have hear for some having very good luck with certain water/exhaust hoses. For many, vent hoses are easy to replace and thus less of an issue. Certainly the Shields white hose is many times better than clear vinyl--I tested those side-by-side.

The builder of my boat did something really thoughtful; the sanitation system is behind a full bulkhead, vented only to the the outside. All of the seacocks are in the same compartment. I really like it.
Old 21-07-2014, 16:21   #7
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinwater;1589439

How old were the hoses? [COLOR="Red"
13 years[/COLOR]How many feet and how much vertical drop? head to tank about 6', vent lines 5'What size (5/8" I'm guessing)? 1.5" for the head to tank, tank to pump, deck pumpout, 1" from the pump to discharge, 3/4" vent line Had a nitrate or enzyme holding tank treatment been used regularly (every few weeks in season--they really help)? no If your eyes were burning, the answer to the latter question was probably no. I ask because I collect data for future magazine reports. There is nothing like field data; so often experiences vary and it's nice to know why.

The project started with the aft tank that is used 99% of the time. That really turned out to be a leaking connection and the odor really wasn't that much.

The forward tank that the hose went bad rarely is used, yet this when it went bad was terrible. The last owner told me he never used it it the 9 years he had it. But this system is the perfect example of everything being wrong. The head has to pump vertical up and the hose volume is 1.5 gals, so it probably never really gets flushed well. So even though I always thought I was flushing it well after it had been used I'm now not so sure.

But my current theory is that the pink antifreeze did the hoses (the standard white hose) in even with the small use it got.
Old 21-07-2014, 17:38   #8

Quote:
But my current theory is that the pink antifreeze did the hoses (the standard white hose) in even with the small use it got.
That is very likely correct.

There is NO REASON not to use ethylene glycol antifreeze in black water lines. Marine toxicity is the same (very low), biodegradeablity is the same (I've built waste water plants), and it does not damage either the hose or the head materials (PG is bad on neoprene). And it's not like there is any risk of you or your dog drinking it (toxic to mammals but not to fish).

Materials compatibility is a big part of why EG is preferred in all vehicle applications.
Old 21-07-2014, 17:59   #9

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Holding Tank Vent Hose Material

I just used the cheapo bilge flex hose...3 years and no smells (don't get anything in the vent and it won't.)..it's only needed to transfer air/vapor...which it does quite well...and it's extremely flexible to work with.
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 18:20   #10
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
I just used the cheapo bilge flex hose...3 years and no smells (don't get anything in the vent and it won't.)..it's only needed to transfer air/vapor...which it does quite well...and it's extremely flexible to work with.
I can tell you for a fact that this isn't true!
Old 21-07-2014, 18:45   #11

Boat: Lindenberg 26 & Aloha 8.2

Ive said it before on threads like this, there is no hose available that is a permenant fix for the stench, even the best hose is absurdly expensive and doesn't work for long, a better and permenant solution is to plumb as much of the system as you can with regular ridgid pvc pipe from the big box store, it will never permeate and is dirt cheap. You will still need to use some short lengths of hose to make connections but keep it to a minimum. You can form pvc to curves using a heat gun to reduce the number of fittings, it works. Personally i prefer not to haul a tank load of poo around so I use an airhead on my Gemini but I re plumbed my Aloha with pvc a few years ago, problem solved for cheap. We installed a plywood /epoxy tank with pvc plumbing on a customers boat over a decade ago with zero smell to date.

Steve.

Steve
clockwork orange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-07-2014, 18:55   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

There are many grades of hose; Sealand odor safe is available in Vent sizes and highly recommended; it's very different than the Shields 148 white sani hose and lasts longer. For what it's worth we've standardized on the 101 Green Stripe hose in place of Sealand and Raritan and had very good results after 9 years of many head projects..
Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-07-2014, 04:16   #13

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that this isn't true!
What's a fact?

I learned around boats there are very few facts except the ones owner's and skipper's make up and/or pass along.

Like the myth that costly boat stuff works better.

PVC pipe from a hardware store works great and is cheap but takes more effort to work with...especially for something as simple as a vent hose.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:42   #14
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by psneeld View Post
What's a fact?

I learned around boats there are very few facts except the ones owner's and skipper's make up and/or pass along.

You wrote that a vent line only gets gases and wouldn't smell. I can tell you as a fact that isn't true and if you what I will dig out the vent hose I took out yesterday and send it to you.
Old 22-07-2014, 04:47   #15

Quote:
You wrote that a vent line only gets gases and wouldn't smell. I can tell you as a fact that isn't true and if you what I will dig out the vent hose I took out yesterday and send it to you.
It's called a vent hose for a reason...you have another issue going on if it keeps filling up with something else...whether it mud daubers or anything else you don't want in there.

Not much of a "fact" when mine doesn't have a speck in it after 3 years of liveaboard use....

Solve the "issues" or not much at all works.

Tags
holding tank