Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-02-2013, 09:19   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Holding Tank Hose

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
As zee said its not from inside the pipe but from leaking cans stored around them. Yes ABS or Acrylonitrile butadiene styrene Pipe. ABS is damaged / deteriorated by sunlight and is dissolved by chemicals containing esters, ketones, ethylene dichloride and acetone. PVC on the other hand is far more inert then ABS with a much higher chemical resistance generally speaking.

So for example, if your glassing in or tabbing around ABS and spill some resin on the ABS pipe, the resin can eat through the ABS. So no I would not use it say to connect to a thru hull fitting..
Oh...well....Zee said...that makes it real. Maybe we stow our gear and fluids differently. My fuel tank cannot spill to the inside of the boat and all my solvents are stored on secure shelves almost 30 ft. from the head. My head plumbing is behind a bulkhead and between two others. Sorry...doesn't wash
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:24   #17

It's a lot easier to carry spare hose than spare pvc pipe. For me anyway.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 09:25   #18

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Oh...well....Zee said...that makes it real. Maybe we stow our gear and fluids differently. My fuel tank cannot spill to the inside of the boat and all my solvents are stored on secure shelves almost 30 ft. from the head. My head plumbing is behind a bulkhead and between two others. Sorry...doesn't wash

Why would you want to consider using a pipe THAT MIGHT NOT WORK over a pipe THAT WILL WORK?
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:41   #19

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

I wasn't really saying that I did want to use it. I'm happy with what I have. I was just suggesting ABS as an alternative to PVC as ABS does not permeate odor.
I feel soooo abused...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 10:44   #20

Quote:
I wasn't really saying that I did want to use it. I'm happy with what I have. I was just suggesting ABS as an alternative to PVC as ABS does not permeate odor.
I feel soooo abused...

keep smiling --- we neeever abuse anbody

Foggy
Old 18-02-2013, 12:02   #21

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by gulfstar37 View Post
It's been about 7 years since I replaced hoses between the toilet, holding tank and pump out fitting and I noticed last year that familiar unwanted odor. From what I've heard before you only get about 5-6 years out of a good hose. That's probably why the hose manufacture warrents for 5 years.

This spring I plan on replacing all the hoses on this system. I figure if I going in to this "stuff' I should replace everything at once and be done with at least for a while again.

I also have heard of using hard PVC pipe that will not permeate odors. Since everything will be replaced now is a good time to switch to the hard pvc if this is doable. I think I can make any sharp turns out of 45's and not use hard 90's to keep pluggage to a minimum.

Question has anyone done this? Issues, problems, how long has it lasted? If you were to do over again what would you change?

Thanks for your comments.
PVC pipe is the way to go. Odor free & Lasts the life of the boat.

I have done it and these are my pictures. Its the best

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post585670
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Destiny_PVC_Sewage.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	317.8 KB
ID:	55137  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:13   #22
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Sorry was just pointing out the material issues with ABS. If its not a problem for you then that's fine. Me I have nail polish remover (acetone) in the head cabinet, so would not use ABS. Probably most of you guys don't have that problem. Though if you have a woman aboard there might be acetone in the head cabinet too.

As I mentioned in an older post, the DWV PVC and ABS fittings are not pressure rated. Well rated to about 5 psig really and that only for testing. That's mainly as DWV plumbing is only designed for a maximum 10 foot head for testing purposes. Yes even on high rise construction.

Me I might use PVC Pressure fittings with PVC DWV pipe. Actually the pvc dwv pipe has the same pressure rating as sch. 40 PVC pipe, (unless its cored). Its the DWV fittings that are thin wall.

I might use PVC pressure fittings in boats as the wall thickness of the fittings will be the same thickness as the pipe with a pressure rating of about 100 psig at 73 degrees F. Actually its higher then that, but I would never use it for even 100 psig.. Note that at 140 degrees F. PVC pressure rating is only about 40 psig. why its not used in hot water system, btw. It should be noted that ABS fittings only come in DWV pattern and are only rated to 10 feet of head. Probably fine, but not as thick walled as Sch 40 pipe.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-02-2013, 12:22   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

We switched to ABS about 15 ..... OMG how time flies ...... over 20 years ago.

Cheaper, faster, easier to work with and easier to control the fall on long runs. Never had a problem or an odor since.
Old 18-02-2013, 12:25   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

As I look at Cotemar's post I'm reminded that I use some PVC fittings at my AC water strainer and I've done this without a problem for over 25 years.
Old 18-02-2013, 13:51   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
Sorry was just pointing out the material issues with ABS. If its not a problem for you then that's fine. Me I have nail polish remover (acetone) in the head cabinet, so would not use ABS. Probably most of you guys don't have that problem. Though if you have a woman aboard there might be acetone in the head cabinet too.

As I mentioned in an older post, the DWV PVC and ABS fittings are not pressure rated. Well rated to about 5 psig really and that only for testing. That's mainly as DWV plumbing is only designed for a maximum 10 foot head for testing purposes. Yes even on high rise construction.

Me I might use PVC Pressure fittings with PVC DWV pipe. Actually the pvc dwv pipe has the same pressure rating as sch. 40 PVC pipe, (unless its cored). Its the DWV fittings that are thin wall.

I might use PVC pressure fittings in boats as the wall thickness of the fittings will be the same thickness as the pipe with a pressure rating of about 100 psig at 73 degrees F. Actually its higher then that, but I would never use it for even 100 psig.. Note that at 140 degrees F. PVC pressure rating is only about 40 psig. why its not used in hot water system, btw. It should be noted that ABS fittings only come in DWV pattern and are only rated to 10 feet of head. Probably fine, but not as thick walled as Sch 40 pipe.

Chic--

you mention pressure fittings, I know they are available for water pipes but I have not seen any for waste pipes.......note, I have not had any problems with the run of the mill waste fittings so my question is just one of curiosity.

Foggy
Old 18-02-2013, 16:39   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Well a pipe is a pipe. There for the most part there is not a lot of difference between sch 40 PVC and DWV PVC. There are some foam core PVC DWV pipe which is weaker then sch. 40, but for the most part DWV pipe is equal to Sch 40 pipe. Sch 40 pressure fittings will fit on DWV PVC pipe and DWV fittings will fit on sch 40 pvc pipe.

The main differences between the two patterns is the DWV fittings wall thickness is thinner and the elbows and wye's, etc have a longer radius for the gravity flow in sanitary systems. Contractors will use Sch. 40 fittings sometimes on DWV systems, where the shorter fitting works or in special cases. I've even found DWV fitting on a pressure system. Though in that case, I had the contractor change that out.

Below is links to both schedule 40 PVC fittings and DWV PVC fittings. You'll note that the wall thickness of the DWV fittings is about 1/2 that for sch 40 pressure fittings.

SCH 40 fittings PVC Schedule 40 Pressure Fittings

DWV fittings PVC Fittings

THere is also A DWV copper pipe but it is the thinnest copper pipe and again not rated for pressure, Just fyi on that BTW.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2013, 17:56   #27

Thanks Chic! Don't stray on us, we will still need additiional answers again later
Old 21-02-2013, 14:58   #28

Everybody,
Thanks for the feedback. I think this spring Ill get the cloths pin out and do the refit in pvc. I'll take a few pics when i do this and tell everyone if i would do again when finished.
gulfstar37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:38   #29

Boat: Bristol 35.5

I am due for replacing my hose this spring and this looks quite interesting. I remain unclear, however, how people make the connection between the PVC pipe and the: 1) head, 2) Y-Valve, 3) holding tank, and 4) through hull?

Pics might be worth a thousand words.

Thanks!
sbrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-02-2013, 10:48   #30

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Go back to this post and view all 12 pictures by clicking on the to enlarge.

The pictures show the connections you are asked about, except I did not have a Y-valve

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...tml#post585670
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PVCto head.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	55480  
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote