Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-07-2018, 06:10   #16

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Re: Holding tank emergency!

I think I would drill a hole in the cap, maybe 1/8 or 3/16" or so, to relieve the pressure. Unless the vent is in the station, it should be higher than the vent. Hopefully your leaking out the vent will keep the level below the cap. After it is vented, I would drill a series of holes in line long enough to insert a large, flat blade screw driver in, and use an adjustable wrench on the screw driver to get more leverage to unscrew the cap, after getting some PB Blaster or similar around the cap. Whatever you do and whatever happens, after you clean up the mess, and cleanup yourself, post the results.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:19   #17

Boat: Catalina 470

Can't you use a punch and hammer and work the deck fitting around? I had the deck cap sieze on my last boat and that's how I loosened it.
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:42   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by daletournier View Post
Can't you use a punch and hammer and work the deck fitting around? I had the deck cap sieze on my last boat and that's how I loosened it.

That or just remove the whole thing, disconnect the hose and replace the deck fitting, but I can’t imagine one that just couldn’t be removed
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 11:08   #19

Boat: 1985 Canadian Sailcraft CS30

Is the OP even paying attention to any of this advise?
mottseng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 12:04   #20
Marine Service Provider

He posted at 9:30 last night...he may be at work and unable to log on here till this evening.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 13:07   #21
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Drill a tiny relief hole in the cap, with a plastic funnel or similar around the drill bit to contain any gushing that may occur when the hole is made.

Then use an angle grinder, belt sander, or simple strap wrench to open the lid.

Sounds like a couple of presidential elections ago, when the outgoing office staff crazy-glued the keys on the computer keyboards, so the incoming staff couldn't use them.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 14:23   #22

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

The simplest thing is to be able to pump out, since the fitting is not turning you need to drill it out large enough to pumpout. Either do the trick using the clamps to install a tee in the vent line, or drill a 1/16” hole in the center of the cap to relieve the pressure. The stuck cap is at the top of the system and may only have gas instead of liquid against it, keep a rag and bucket handy just in case. Once the tank stops spewing or venting, if you are lucky, simply drill the hole as large as possible and go to a pump out station. A cheap hole saw will do the trick: you’re replacing the fitting anyway.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 13:53   #23

I just tackled this issue on my Beneteau Oceanis 352 with success after reading the responses to this issue on this forum, some trial and error, and a lot of "elbow grease"! Beneteau's aluminum deck plate caps are apparntly notorious for siezing. Here is what I did; injected PB Penetrating Catalyst (avail at any hardware store) and let it soak over night, drilled two holes in the cap about 1" apart from center, heated the surface of the deck plate with a propane torch, purchased two cheap philips head screwdrivers and inserted into the holes and twisted like a mad man to get it off. I used so much torque, I bent the screwdrivers! Fortunately the previous owner of my boat left me with a spare cap . I lubed the O-ring's on all of the topside through hull caps with MareLube (from West Marine) in order to avoid any future issues. I don't understand others advice about drilling holes to relieve pressure?!? The holding tank is not designed to withstand pressue, nor will it, assuming your vent isn't clogged.
dcohune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 14:24   #24

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

I want to second the comment about NEVER using any flame or heat source near any holding tank fitting or opening. Waste creates methane gas, especially fermented holding tanks. The solution of drilling parallel holes in the cap, using a large flat screwdriver and a large pipe wrench or cresent wrench to turn cap, even using a cheeter bar. The PB blaster will loosen it overnight, and you will find it opens up. Exploding holding tanks from a methane explosion would be the last way i want to end up in the ER
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 14:32   #25

Boat: Irwin Series II 52' 1983

How a Build-Up of Methane Gas Caused a Toilet to Explode | Gizmodo UK

Also google youtube septic tank explosion

The true purpose of the vent is to dissipate the buildup of methane and hydrogen gases produced in an anaerobic environment. Ie holding tanks. That is why the vent must travel up without a liquid trap like a sink drain has. That trap under the sink in your house is to prevent gases coming up the drain into the house
Tampabayfireman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-07-2018, 15:21   #26
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
How a Build-Up of Methane Gas Caused a Toilet to Explode | Gizmodo UK

Also google youtube septic tank explosion

The true purpose of the vent is to dissipate the buildup of methane and hydrogen gases produced in an anaerobic environment. Ie holding tanks. That is why the vent must travel up without a liquid trap like a sink drain has. That trap under the sink in your house is to prevent gases coming up the drain into the house

In fact both marine and building codes are very clear that ALL electrical installations inside holding tanks must be built to a very specific explosion-proof standard. It's a big deal in sewage treatment plants. Lighting farts is NOT a joke in this context.
Old 21-07-2018, 12:18   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tampabayfireman View Post
I want to second the comment about NEVER using any flame or heat source near any holding tank fitting or opening. Waste creates methane gas, especially fermented holding tanks. The solution of drilling parallel holes in the cap, using a large flat screwdriver and a large pipe wrench or cresent wrench to turn cap, even using a cheeter bar. The PB blaster will loosen it overnight, and you will find it opens up. Exploding holding tanks from a methane explosion would be the last way i want to end up in the ER
Tampabayfireman...yes sir, you are spot on! I agree with your comment, one should NEVER EVER mix fire and the potential for any fuel to a fire, especially on a boat. My common sense was certainly not engaged, and its possible I dodged a bullet. Thank you for reminding all of this potentially hazerdous situation.
dcohune is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
emergency, enc, holding tank