Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2018, 10:48   #1

Boat: morgan O/I 33' sloop
How to test Rule float switch

spotted excess water in my bilge. Checked float switch by lifting float. No joy. Turned pump on manuallly using braker to 'on' and emptied bilge. Next cut the 2 wires to the switch and ran down to West Marine for a new Rule 35 A.
Attached to the cut wires. Wires same color so I don't think polarity. Curreent between cut wires 0.3 A breaker on, 13.2 breaker off ruling out bad connections or blown fuse.
I suppose it's possible I got a bad switch but seems more likely I'm missing something basic. Ideas anyone
Dave22q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 10:52   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
re: How to test Rule float switch

Is electricity getting to the float switch?
Old 17-07-2018, 11:16   #3

Boat: J/42
re: How to test Rule float switch

I didn't quite follow all of that, but I'll offer a couple of experiences with a Rule switch that I recently replaced.

1. The old switch showed continuity when tested, but it had a high internal resistance, so the motor did not get enough current to run. (Mine was one of the old mercury switches.)

2. The old snarl of spliced wires in the bilge was utterly repulsive, in more ways than one. It seemed to me that the proper way to deal with serviceable equipment was to connect everything at a terminal block high and dry in the engine compartment. No splices in the bilge. This makes troubleshooting and maintenance a lot quicker and easier.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2018, 20:18   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: How to test Rule float switch

Toddster, where did you find a three contact terminal strip? I always end up buying a four contact and only using three.
Old 17-07-2018, 21:07   #5

Boat: J/42

^ A while back, I bought several bulk packs of assorted sizes on Amazon or Ebay - Chinese stuff. Naturally, lately I've tended to need 4x and only have 3x or 5x It's not tinned copper, but it's better than what was there before.
toddster8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 08:50   #6

Boat: 29' CHawk Sport Cabin
Thumbs up Re: How to test Rule float switch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave22q View Post
spotted excess water in my bilge. Checked float switch by lifting float. No joy. Turned pump on manuallly using braker to 'on' and emptied bilge. Next cut the 2 wires to the switch and ran down to West Marine for a new Rule 35 A.
Attached to the cut wires. Wires same color so I don't think polarity. Curreent between cut wires 0.3 A breaker on, 13.2 breaker off ruling out bad connections or blown fuse.
I suppose it's possible I got a bad switch but seems more likely I'm missing something basic. Ideas anyone

Simply take a ohm meter and go across both wires of the float switch. The reading should indicate open or OL on the meter. Lift the float switch arm and the meter should read 00.0 ohms, or very close to this reading indicating the switch is good..If the meter reads OL or open, with the float switch arm raised, then the switch is defective and should be replaced.
Twilite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 09:30   #7

Boat: Nordic 44

Short the two wires coming from the switch. Does the pump come on? If so the problem is in the switch, if not the problem is elsewhere.

No meter required. Just find where the ends of the switch are connected and bridge across with a short piece if wire.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2018, 10:25   #8

As noted the wires to the switch are live when the pump is on auto (breaker off) and essentially dead when manual. Would appreciate comments reflecting that fact before I return it.
Old 18-07-2018, 14:30   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Vagabond 47

In fact you will always replace these switches once a year unless you read my comment to BILGE PUMPS & FLOAT SWITCHES.

Conclusion: do not spend money on the best switches to buy - which last one year because... no I certainly will not say anything against a specific vendor. Read my thread.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...es-204346.html
moseriw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 06:05   #10

Thanks for all of the replies. Finally resolved by Rule tech support--

RE: float switch mod 35 A
Hello David,
To test a float switch, you need a multi meter set on continuity.
Place the wires from the multi meter on each of the grey wires from the float switch.
Lift up the float and this should sound the audible signal on the multi meter.
If you hear the audible sound, the float switch is fine. If you don’t hear the audible sound from the multi meter, the float switch is bad.

Tags
loa, rule