Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2011, 07:32   #1

Boat: Morgan Classic 41
Hey ! Who Turned Off the Hot Water ???

Asking my stupid questions here, cause ya''l always have the smart answers!
I'm getting ready to change out my galley sink fixture due to a corrosion hole in the spout. I have been using it with the hot water tap for a couple of weeks. Hot and cold water has worked just fine.
Then a few days ago, the hot water slowed to a dribble and quit. Still have cold water, still have hot water at all my other sinks (heads). Turn it on in the galley and no water comes out.
Like I said, I will be replacing them in a day or 2, but want to know if there is something else (there's always something else, it's a boat!) that needs to be addressed here to save frustration if and when the new one has no water coming out of the hot tap as well.
Thanks!
mjwarner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 09:19   #2
Marine Service Provider

Re: Hey! Who turned off the hot water????

If you're getting hot water in every sink except the galley sink, the problem has to be only in the plumbing to THAT sink. Could be a kinked or blocked line, or a malfunctioning valve in the faucet(s)...so check out everything specific to THAT sink.
peghall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:30   #3

If it's a single lever faucet, it's likely the valve...
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:33   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
If it's a single lever faucet, it's likely the valve...
Ditto.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 10:40   #5
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

mj--ditch the hot water--is only gonnna break again and again---lol-- and use the solar showers.....then ye can use the foot pump kinda water and save a lot of aggravations...... but is very very simple and most folks NEED their hot waterZ.....is so hot here i dont need anything hot inside.....LOL....is awesome!
mj-- try the hose clamps first-- is the pump pumping while off?/ is there a block of some sort in your hose? kinked?? have fun--i ditched my hot water system when i found the heater had leaks in 3 of 4 corners--- now i use solar shower bags for bathing and do other weird non yachtie things to conserve.....
also if there is a second pump, check for air bubbles..... i had a problem with my pump trying to pum air-- it started out ok then quit with ultimATELY ONLY dribble of water coming ou tuntil i looked at pump and saw giant AIRBUBBLE.......goood luck-- tell me what it really turned out to being.......
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 13:31   #6

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Here's how I save water on the boat.

Smart Solutions : Delta Faucet

Wifey thought I was nuts until she tried it.
Now she wants one for the house as well.
It runs for a year on 4 C cell batteries, but I used a simple 6 volt 3 tab regulator to run it from the boat.

I use less than half the water washing dishes than previously.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 17:45   #7

Thanks everyone for the great ideas. I'm taking the weekend "off" to go to a regatta (local) and Monday will start taking out the old and in with the new. This gives me some things to be watching for and also lets me know that I can avoid having this issue with the new faucet if I eliminate some things on the lists here as culprits.
Old 21-05-2011, 20:10   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)

Mj :
I just replaced all of my pumbing from the tanks to the spigots. Few things I learned hot water is much more corsive than the cold. A lot of valves were toast on that side. Check your hot waterheater, mine was bad and I think that was a large part of the problem.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 21:47   #9

Boat: Islander Freeport 36

Sorry to side track this conversation, but I have a comment of basic water heaters.

I had one of those standard square looking leaking water heaters, so I took it out and dismantled it to understand how it was built. Inside the square box is an aluminum cylinder comprised of two halves wielded together, with inlet and outlet water and coolant ports wielded to the cylinder (these are where the hoses attach). High and low thermostats mounted to the outside of the cylinder, and a electric heating element that screws into the cylinder. The cylinder is wrapped in a fiberglass insulation material, and the whole thing is covered in a metal box...that's the part that usually corrodes out. Unless there is a crack in one of the wields, the only place it can leak is at the heating element...which mine did. Mine leaked through the positive and negative electric posts on the heating element, and if I had acted as soon as I saw the leak I wouldn't have to get another water heater. Replacement heating elements are easy to get, and taking the heater apart and putting it all back together shouldn't take longer than a day of work.
JiffyLube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2011, 22:54   #10

Boat: Buccaneer 240

My Guess would be some bits of rust stuck in the faucet. I've encountered that before. If that is the case, then just replacing the faucet will only fix the problem temporarily. You will need to find the source of the rusty bits and replace that.

Scott
Morganministry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 09:08   #11

Re: Hey ! Who Turned Off the Hot Water ???

"Here's how I save water on the boat". Great idea! You've gotta have a single lever faucet to save water for sure...and that takes it one step further!
Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2011, 18:58   #12

Just wanted to update: Changed out both galley and head faucets today. Hot water is running fine through my new single lever MOEN faucet in the galley. It may have been rust from the faucet itself, since there was a hole (leak) in the side of the spout (this is why we had purchased the new one to begin with. The hot water cutting off came later) Or it may have been the hot water valve on the old faucet. Either way, no leaks no drips no errors, and it's shiny! I like shiny. There was no problem with the old head faucet, except that the tap was too close to the edge of the sink and I couldn't fill a glass or hold my toothbrush under the running water without clinking the back of the sink. The new one has a longer tap.Thanks to everyone for your help.
Old 23-05-2011, 08:59   #13
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjwarner View Post
Just wanted to update: Changed out both galley and head faucets today. Hot water is running fine through my new single lever MOEN faucet in the galley. It may have been rust from the faucet itself, since there was a hole (leak) in the side of the spout (this is why we had purchased the new one to begin with. The hot water cutting off came later) Or it may have been the hot water valve on the old faucet. Either way, no leaks no drips no errors, and it's shiny! I like shiny. There was no problem with the old head faucet, except that the tap was too close to the edge of the sink and I couldn't fill a glass or hold my toothbrush under the running water without clinking the back of the sink. The new one has a longer tap.Thanks to everyone for your help.
mj--you are SOOOOOOOOOOO spoiled..LOL..... glad it is all working out for ye.... hurry out here and join me!!!!
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water