Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-10-2016, 13:04   #46

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978
Re: help marine toilet compliance

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle stinkybob View Post
I don't know if you've seen this but I thought it might help if not.
Installing a Head by Don Casey - BoatTECH - BoatUS
I have actually seen part of this someplace (someone plagiarized it and put it on a website elsewhere, evidently) but not all of it was in the place I saw the first part. This actual source location definitely shows some options of ways to route things anyway, and seems pretty intelligently thought out. Thanks for the link! I added it to my "must retain" list.

I think that perhaps one of the better situations with Equinox is that the PO removed so much of her interior and systems that I have only to replace many of them, rather than having to do the demo as well.

Additionally, most of the fittings are still there, and primarily the consumables and damaged materials were the parts that were actually removed. This means that I have examples of parts to seek replacements for and it allows me to know what something is when I find it online absent an explanation of where it goes in the system (including when folks describe specific situations in these threads using photos!).

This also helps on hoses because not only do I have the right dimensions on them, I also have examples of what they looked like structurally, at least at the time these were installed (and they look original, amazingly enough). The hose under the galley sink, for instance, has tiny cracks in it everyplace for its full length (and though it makes crunching sounds when I attempt to squeeze it, the thing does not leak and water passes through it handily). I will need to replace that line, and can remove it in one or two pieces from the hull and take it someplace to get an exact length needed for my purposes without having to purchase 5 feet of something I don't need 6 feet of (may as well do the hose in the head basin as well, right?).

By the way, I wanted to emphasize that I did not intend to hijack this thread, but I am hoping that through members addressing my ignorance, other newbies to these systems (such as myself) will become more aware of how these systems function and how to install them in our own boats from folks who have had to either perform, trouble shoot, or repair their own vessel(s') sewage system installations. I offer thanks to everyone assisting! We (the newbies) really do appreciate it!
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 13:29   #47

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Re: help marine toilet compliance

SailingFan: There is no real macerator in this system (though you could have one) but the the head pump clearly chews things up and is a far greater choke point than the discharge in a gravity feed system.

Obviously, it's not always conducive to add a holding tank above water line allowing a gravity feed discharge on all existing boats, but when that's possible, I think it's worth considering.

I've been on a few charter boats that had the holding tank in the cockpit locker adjacent to the head with the discharge hose snaking back into the head with minimal bends, the sea cock under the sink. That's my favorite so far since any minor smells from the tank are out in the locker, but the seacock is easily accessed under the vanity in the head.

On my Hunter that wasn't convenient, so I put the holding tank under the vanity directly above the the seacock in the head itself. Any odor was very, very minor if at all, even with cheap hose. The tank was out of sight, but simply opening a door allowed inspection to see how full it was, as well as easily access all fittings. That's the one I mentioned with a straight discharge and inspection port directly above on the top of the tank. (the inspection port necessary to install the tank fittings anyways.)

If I opened the seacock under way, you could see water surge in and out of the bottom of the tank, cleaning it. (depending on heel, etc.)

Wth this set up, the seacock can be left closed most of the time, making it probably the least risk plumbing through hull on the boat. Again, if the seacock is convenient under the vanity for example, it's easy to open it for a few minutes an then close it again.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marine, oil