Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 25-09-2011, 19:13   #16

Boat: Contessa 32
Re: Help! How to Free Stuck Seacocks ?

If the seacocks are of the ball valve type, you can try slipping a piece of 1" PVC conduit or pipe over the handle to get a bit more leverage and also more comfortable grip. If that doesn't work, it might be best to replace them. The balls in some seacocks may, when not regularly exercised, corrode so much as to become very hard to turn. Since the ball valve seats are made of plastic (ptfe or nylon or some such), penetrating oil could make things worse. I think silicone grease or lanolin or vegetable oil would be safe, although, for example, Apollo/Conbraco does not recommend any sort of maintenance for their ball valve seacocks. When you finally get them freed up, you should exercise them regularly (perhaps every week).

Old 25-09-2011, 19:33   #17

Boat: CSY 33
Send a message via MSN to wunderluster

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try again tomorrow with a little persuasion. I will try to get a picture. These are large bronze seacocks that are set on the hull. If a little more effort doesn't help I will wait until haulout. I don't want to risk plugging it from the bottom. However, I will have a wood plug tied to each one.

Old 22-02-2015, 00:34   #18

We have this problem on both head sea cocks (one is locked in the open position and has a waste tank attached the other is locked in the close position with no waste tank - useful!) and were told by the commissioning agent to "heave on it like you wanted to kill your spouse." We did (heave on the one that is open thinking an sea cock is not a good thing) with the result that the handle didn't break but the screw snapped off out of the valve - no handle, sea cock still open. New boat and all.

Lesson - don't listen to the commissioning agent.

Solution? Don't know yet - probably require a diver to block the hull and replacement from inside for both. The second head sea cock is almost inaccessible as well.

Old 22-02-2015, 02:47   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Cowes (Winter), Baltic (Summer) (the boat!); somewhere in the air (me!)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGinSING View Post
We have this problem on both head sea cocks (one is locked in the open position and has a waste tank attached the other is locked in the close position with no waste tank - useful!) and were told by the commissioning agent to "heave on it like you wanted to kill your spouse." We did (heave on the one that is open thinking an sea cock is not a good thing) with the result that the handle didn't break but the screw snapped off out of the valve - no handle, sea cock still open. New boat and all.

Lesson - don't listen to the commissioning agent.

Solution? Don't know yet - probably require a diver to block the hull and replacement from inside for both. The second head sea cock is almost inaccessible as well.

Those handles are very fragile, and the bronze shafts not much stronger.

I used to think that this is poor engineering. Now I realize that if the ball valve is stuck to that extent, then you need to be replacing it in any case.

Ball valves can't really be maintained -- they are disposable. Unlike cone valves, which need to be lapped every year but which last forever.

That being said, I think ball valves are a good solution -- they are nearly maintenance free (unlike cone valves) during their lifetime. Good ones last a long time. Mine are made of real gun metal, are 14 years and going strong; I have replaced only one of them so far.

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: