Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-12-2009, 17:53   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Help Finding Info on My Fresh Water Pump

I am trying to find a diagram of a my fresh water pump as I want to lower it's output pressure.

The manual from West Marine does not have a diagram and it specifically says "Important! The pressure setting is this pump is made at the factory. Warranty invalidated my pressure switch interference."

I don't want to interfere with it but I want to adjust it.

The only place I can find the pump is here.

Switch Assembly for Pressure Water Pump from WEST MARINE

That pic has a pump that looks just like mine.

I went here

SPX Johnson Pump for Boatbuilders, Pleasure, Commercial & Fishing boats

And it looks to be the pump.

Most of the stuff in the .pdf manual looks identical and is worded the same. Also no pics.

Is there a way to drop the pressure in this pump?

I am not really interested in trial by error because it is in warranty I think. Not sure. Isn't in the manual I have so I will have to call WM I guess.

But in the meantime I would like to know if someone knows how to do it.

The easy way. You know. Dropping the pressure from 40psi to say, 30.

Thanks.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 18:22   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Simpson, Catamaran, 46ft. IMAGINE
I believe you can get an inline regulator?........i2f
imagine2frolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 18:44   #3

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagine2frolic View Post
I believe you can get an inline regulator?........i2f
OOOOHH????

HMMMM.

Won't hurt the pump either will it?

Hmmmm.
Old 11-12-2009, 20:35   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
How about sticking a nut in the line beofre the tap?

No, not a peanut.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2009, 21:06   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
How about sticking a nut in the line beofre the tap?

No, not a peanut.
Well, of COURSE you didn't mean a peanut. A peanut is a legume and not a nut at all.

regards,
MikeZ
No, not a nut
MikeZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 15:42   #6

Not much help so far.

Hmm.
Old 12-12-2009, 16:55   #7

Boat: CS 36 Traditional
Talking Fresh water pump pressure

My question would be, why do you want to reduce the pressure? Is it because you need less water pressure at the user end, or because you want to save water, or because you want to save your batteries and water?

Putting a pressure regulator valve would achieve this and will not harm your pump because the pump will only bring the pressure up to its setting and quit. This set up will reduce water pressure and water usage but will still be draining more power than needed.

I personally would tinker with the pump (start taking it apart ) until you understand the pressure setting mechanism and then reset it. Damn the warranty.
Gaucho Marino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 17:24   #8

Boat: Irwin 40
What are you trying to do save water or power?

Putting a restriction (nut) in it will reduce flow not pressure. They are 2 different things.

If you want to save power reduce pressure this will reduce the run time of the pump. It will not run as long, cut off sooner and cut on later.

If you want to save water reduce flow. Like the little washer they use in showers to save water.

I would not start to mess with the pump. pumps are not built like they were once upon a time, they are harder to take apart and put back together without problems. Not sure there are even adjustment screws anyway. And unless you got more money than me i would want to keep the warranty.

Good luck

Wayne Canning, AMS
projectboatzen.com
sailvayu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 18:17   #9

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Both suggestions above will work but there - are some/is a - spring(s) inside that controls the pressure valve, usually a preset system. You could slightly weaken the spring(s) by cutting off a tiny bit, like one wrap or so.

But not knowing you reason it's hard to make a adequate suggestion.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:29   #10

OK.
Thanks all.
Here is the reason.
In line with this pump (the pressure water system) is a whale foot pump at the galley. A tip toe
It has leaked at the main screw joint where the upper and lower housing are put together.
I cleaned up the threads the first time as the two halves are glued/welded (plastic) together and look "not very good" to me - no joy
I used teflon tape the second time - no joy.
I used "plumbers putty" the third time - no joy.
This time I used 4200 - we shall see.

So I am looking for a drop in pressure. That is all.

My hope obviously is that between the 4200 and a pressure drop it will stop leaking.

Note:
I looked up the pump and sent an email a couple of weeks ago and have not gotten an answer yet.
Then I read the whole manual and guess what? It specifically says that the pump is not to be used in a pressurized system.

http://www.whalepumps.com/documents/Tiptoe_inst.pdf

Well, ain't that special as it is standard on all Gemini cats along with the pressure water system.

And this;
Whale Tiptoe pumps are guaranteed for 5 years against defects in materials and workmanship.
If the unit proves faulty, return it to your supplier with proof of purchase and purchase date.
The manufacturer retains the right to repair or replace the unit. The manufacturer cannot be
held responsible for claims arising from incorrect installation, unauthorised modification or
misuse of the product. The above does not affect your statutory rights.

So I won't bother them with asking for another even though hundreds of Geminis are out there like this.

I have read everything I could find on Geminis for years, including the owners sites and never came across this as a problem.

So, it is my luck.

Note 2: The Gemini manual itself states that if the pressure water system is on then one should not attempt to use the foot pump. Gee, I wonder why?
Old 13-12-2009, 09:44   #11
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
you might be considering the wrong solution. Instead, think about putting a check valve between the Tip Toe and the point where it connects with the pressure system. That way, water from the pressure system won't be able to flow back toward the manual pump.
Old 13-12-2009, 09:53   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
you might be considering the wrong solution. Instead, think about putting a check valve between the Tip Toe and the point where it connects with the pressure system. That way, water from the pressure system won't be able to flow back toward the manual pump.
Without a picture I am lost.

I don't know how to draw something and get it here either.

Best way for me to say it is; the foot pump is in series with the water line to the sink. ie: pressure pump>hose>inlet to foot pump>outlet of foot pump>hose>sink faucet. All the water flows through the pump.

I can think of several ways of isolating the pump from the pressure system.

I just don't want to do it because then I will be the only one that has had to do that. I am lonely enough as it is...........
Old 13-12-2009, 10:26   #13
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
I looked at the instructions, which also say that "It is placed between the in-line electric pump and the water supply." Talk about mixed messages!? But it doesn't seem like the pressure from your supply pump would be the problem, rather either a leaking gland washer and/or the cheesy plastic threads.

I had a similar leaking intake port on my Whale transom shower. When I took it apart I was quite underwhelmed with the cheapo quality of the thing. Being off in the middle of nowhere at the time, I didn't have access to a replacement and did the same as you -- a dose of 4200. I kept it off-line for a day to give the stuff a chance to get well cured and it did the trick.

So, good luck with it, but you might also want to check those washers. They sell service kits for them.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2009, 10:44   #14

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whale-Tip Toe
1. It is not a pressurized system. 2. It is placed between the in-line electric pump and the water supply.

What you need to do is plumb your foot pump to the inlet side of your electric pump that way there isn't any pressure against your foot pump. you haven't said how far away the electric pump is from the foot pump but it would be well worth it to run another line to a T-fitting or right to the tank, which ever is closer or convenient.

That's how mine is set up.
Old 13-12-2009, 11:08   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
I looked at the instructions, which also say that "It is placed between the in-line electric pump and the water supply."...
Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
What you need to do is plumb your foot pump to the inlet side of your electric pump that way there isn't any pressure against your foot pump. You haven't said how far away the electric pump is from the foot pump but it would be well worth it to run another line to a T-fitting or right to the tank, which ever is closer or convenient...
Exactly.
The “water supply”, on a boat, it the fresh water tank.
The water pipe/hose, to the manual foot pump, is connected between the water tank (‘T’), and the electric pressure pump.
Pipe to “T” or “Y”. Pipe from “T leg 1" to Elect. Pump. Pipe from “T Leg 2" to Foot Pump.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote