Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-09-2017, 19:01   #46

Boat: 1998 Hunter 410 (now), 1981 Bayfield 32c (old)
Re: Heating options

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pizzazz View Post
Thank you all for the helpful feedback. I understand there are many threads in heating and I have read through them. The new thing here is that I am trying to optimize for relative simplicity and quietness. On a small boat like mine even minor noises go through the compartments easily.

For quiteness, the Dickinson seems to be the best bet, the downside is that it is impossible to regulate the temp with a thermostat. Is it practical to remove the Dickinson for the summer and reinstall it every fall? Also, is it true that the diesel ones are difficult to start?

I am moving away from hydronic because I realize the water circulation pumps could be quite noisy.

OK, now I need to get my head around drilling a 3" hole in my deck. If I change my mind later, is it possible to fill/repair the hole?

I've installed a Dickenson Newport diesel bulkhead mount on my old boat. I think based on your described needs it would be best. It was dead easy to start, the internal fan and fuel drip meter on the front can be dialed in quite easily with a little experience to get the temperature to where you want it in the cabin. Having a few fans to circulate the air, and a dorade or two will go a long way to ensure that your boat remains dry and warm.

On our current boat we installed an Espar hydronic system last year. It works flawlessly but is far more complicated to install. The key to keeping the noise down is mounting with rubber mounts, getting a noise suppressing muffler, and insulating with engine foam/silver wrap insulation in the area where the unit is installed.

While I would recommend the hydronic system, based on what you described your needs are, I think you would be spending a lot more money than necessary. The bulkhead heater would likely do just fine. My preference is towards the diesel/wood units over propane as they dry out the boat much better.

If you do decide to go with hydronic, (it is nice having lots of hot water on the anchor), I would consider getting an experienced installer involved with mapping out the installation. Either way be sure to install a good CO2 detector in your cabin.
VanIslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 21:36   #47

Boat: Luger, Southwind, 21

Solar hot water heater, Prius Water pump tied to thermostats, storage tank in engine room or low storage locker, two lines to subfloor/on floor/ or bulkhead mounted core. Natural convection or cabin fans. Zero holes in hull or deck. Minimalist heat for minimal need.
lonesoldier0408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2017, 22:43   #48

Boat: Riva 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonesoldier0408 View Post
Solar hot water heater, Prius Water pump tied to thermostats, storage tank in engine room or low storage locker, two lines to subfloor/on floor/ or bulkhead mounted core. Natural convection or cabin fans. Zero holes in hull or deck. Minimalist heat for minimal need.
This is not a bad idea, I had a similar thought last year. My water tank is under the quarter berth in the rear cabin. It is 35 gallons. Assuming it is nearly full (I have a watermaker), I could run the engine plumbed water heater output back to the main water tank. This way, if I were to run the engine for 30-40 minutes while approaching the islands, I could raise the temp in the main water tank by 60F which will allow me to store 15,000-20,000 BTUs relative to the target cabin temperature. It could work but it seems to be too much effort and planning. Further exploring this idea, as someone mentioned last year, my waste tank is under the v-berth (18 gallons) and I could fill it with seawater and warm it up too. Gross but it could work. Somehow I do not feel like going that route.

I think it is going to be a diesel Dickinson for me. Simple, quiet, ambiance.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 02:52   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
There is no denying plenty of people have had good experiences of the brand but compared to the other two there is a significantly higher number of people reporting problems with Planar.
I have not read a single bad report, myself. They have been widely used in Finland for many years and the general opinion there seems to be that they are more reliable than Webasto or Eber. They have only recently become popular in the UK, but they are widely praised there too. Vyv Cox's son is one of the dealers. Vyv Cox is a highly respected engineer. The dealer has reported that he has only had one warranty claim in the entire time he has been selling them.

I am merely repeating second hand information, however, so take it for what it's worth. Nor have I done any serious research of second hand information.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 02:56   #50

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!

Quote:
This is not a bad idea, I had a similar thought last year. My water tank is under the quarter berth in the rear cabin. It is 35 gallons. Assuming it is nearly full (I have a watermaker), I could run the engine plumbed water heater output back to the main water tank. This way, if I were to run the engine for 30-40 minutes while approaching the islands, I could raise the temp in the main water tank by 60F which will allow me to store 15,000-20,000 BTUs relative to the target cabin temperature. It could work but it seems to be too much effort and planning. Further exploring this idea, as someone mentioned last year, my waste tank is under the v-berth (18 gallons) and I could fill it with seawater and warm it up too. Gross but it could work. Somehow I do not feel like going that route.

I think it is going to be a diesel Dickinson for me. Simple, quiet, ambiance.
18 gallons of seawater weighs 68 kg -- like a whole person. You will feel that in the bow, under sail in a 31 foot boat.

Forget all that Rube Goldberg stuff -- you're on exactly the right track with the Dickinson heater. You will also get a lot of pleasure from sitting around in the cheery glow from the firebox window.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Walt Whitman
Old 26-09-2017, 03:31   #51

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
This is not a bad idea,
I think it's a dreadful idea. He wants to heat a 31 foot yacht in a similar climate to us. Our ST2000 is capable of 2kw of heat, that's 7000 btu. In practice we need to turn down the heater to half heat after 30 minutes or it becomes to hot and that is with the hatch ajar. The advantages are its simple to install and heats quickly, second hand they are also cost effective.

The alternative would be as Dockhead suggests a Dickinson heater, which will be nice in the evenings with the view of the flames.

One of the great things about a 31 ft yacht is everything on board is simple. An engine and a couple of batteries. Two sails, an anchor and off you go. Any heating solution should also be simple. *pm on a cold winters night is not the time to be fault finding stuff.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 03:43   #52
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

installed recently on my cat
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sig marine.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	193.9 KB
ID:	156680  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 03:49   #53

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by atoll View Post
installed recently on my cat
Pretty! Isn't that a SIG?
Walt Whitman
Old 26-09-2017, 04:05   #54

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
Just to be clear, most marine air conditioners with reverse cycle do NOT have a resistance heating element. You can get them, but that would be an option.

If the goal is heat away from shore power, adding a marine air conditioner is probably not the best answer anyway.

True, resistance was an extra option our dock neighbors added.

I haven't seen whether OP already has a genset or not. If not, adding one would be a big consideration (and some $$$). OTOH, a genset also offers several other advantages if installed, more than just potentially powering a heat source.

FWIW, if a genset isn't already installed or in the cards... and given temps in OP's area seem to be 55-60°F... much warmer than our "cold" temps here... don't think I'd do anything aside from adding a blanket.

-Chris
Old 26-09-2017, 04:57   #55

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
I haven't seen whether OP already has a genset or not. If not, adding one would be a big consideration (and some $$$). OTOH, a genset also offers several other advantages if installed, more than just potentially powering a heat source.
The OP has a hunter 31, were exactly do you think he should install this genset and how will this affect the balance of the boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
FWIW, if a genset isn't already installed or in the cards... and given temps in OP's area seem to be 55-60°F... much warmer than our "cold" temps here... don't think I'd do anything aside from adding a blanket. -Chris
Adding heating means being able to drive off the damp and if its raining dry yourself out as well so well worth doing to improve the quality of life on board. A damp smelly blanket on a cold night won't impress the GF or wifey.

Nice boat, if it's kept light and sailed upright.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1986-Hunter-31-Deep--Keel_30356_9.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	156683  
Old 26-09-2017, 05:10   #56

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
. . . Adding heating means being able to drive off the damp and if its raining dry yourself out as well . . .
UK perspective alert!

Remember the OP is sailing in a desert area and won't be doing much sailing in the rain.

But yes -- where Pete and I sail, the dry is at least as important as the warm!

I heard it did actually rain in So. Cal. once a few years ago, though, so I guess it's good to be prepared for any eventuality . . . .
Walt Whitman
Old 26-09-2017, 05:29   #57

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You mean it doesn't rain in So. cal? why would anyone want to live there,

Pete
Old 26-09-2017, 05:51   #58

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You mean it doesn't rain in So. cal? why would anyone want to live there,

Pete
Tee hee.

I realize that I am feeding incorrect stereotypes about UK weather, by the way. For those who haven't been here, it actually does not rain all the time! In fact it doesn't even rain all that much on the South coast.

Average annual rainfall in Southampton is only 700mm -- less than the U.S. average including the deserts, and about half of what falls in Atlanta, GA, and much less than half of what falls in coastal cities like Miami.

We have a relatively lot of rainy days, but not that much rain falls.
Walt Whitman
Old 26-09-2017, 05:53   #59
cruiser

Boat: Retired from CF

I'd rather a weekly dump of four inches then six clear days than a steady drizzle all week.
john61ct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2017, 06:23   #60

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
The OP has a hunter 31, were exactly do you think he should install this genset and how will this affect the balance of the boat?

Adding heating means being able to drive off the damp and if its raining dry yourself out as well so well worth doing to improve the quality of life on board. A damp smelly blanket on a cold night won't impress the GF or wifey.

No clue; my comments were general, not intended to be boat-specific, not a recommendation. OP can assess what's feasible. Or not.

Good point about humidity. AFAIK, OP's area is generally arid (although on the water, that's obviously a relative term).

-Chris

Tags
heating