Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-01-2010, 08:46   #1
Marine Service Provider

Heat!

Just got my first electric bill, and YIKES! So, trying to come up with a better plan.

NO! Please don't tell me to get a diesel. The cost of the unit, fuel, and the PITA of doing the install isn't worth it to me. Especially considering it's already the middle of January, and this will be my last winter up North.

I was thinking of just going with the reverse cycle, especially since I can set the thermostat lower than the ceramics I have and have it cycle on and off instead of running 24x7. Reason I hadn't up until this point is the portables I have are much more quiet. Also, someone told me that R/C doesn't work once it gets really cold out. Is this true? I'd think that as long as the water the boat is sitting isn't frozen it should work. Considering I'm in the Hudson, I don't really see that happening.
off-the-grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:00   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Reverse cycle will work well down to about 40 degrees water temp. Below that and you're facing rapidly diminishing returns or even complete failure. Not catastrophic failure, just an inability to heat until the water warms back up.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:13   #3
Marine Service Provider

CRAP!

Thanks for confirming.
Old 13-01-2010, 09:23   #4
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34
Try a propane heater - the Dixson P-9000 is nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunzster View Post
Just got my first electric bill, and YIKES! So, trying to come up with a better plan.

NO! Please don't tell me to get a diesel. The cost of the unit, fuel, and the PITA of doing the install isn't worth it to me. Especially considering it's already the middle of January, and this will be my last winter up North.

I was thinking of just going with the reverse cycle, especially since I can set the thermostat lower than the ceramics I have and have it cycle on and off instead of running 24x7. Reason I hadn't up until this point is the portables I have are much more quiet. Also, someone told me that R/C doesn't work once it gets really cold out. Is this true? I'd think that as long as the water the boat is sitting isn't frozen it should work. Considering I'm in the Hudson, I don't really see that happening.
I put one in my PDQ32 a few months ago and I'm pleased. One the coldest nights it needs help from the space heaters, but during the day it's fine.

It burns ~ 20 pounds of propane in 40 hours wide open, or about $120/month in the winter, I think. If you turn it down at night and off when you are out, then much less.

The advantage of fuel over any electric power souce is that it works under way. I had a heat pump in a condo and I am not a big fan. $$$$.

Also consider insulation and leaks. 1/8" acrylic makes easy storm windows where you have removable screens in hatches. Close curtains, and throw a blanket over the door at night. Close the cabins you don't use.

There is a description of the install on my blog. Sail Delmarva: Search results for dixson p-9000

There is also one on wintersailing, though I am "stuck" a the moment! Sail Delmarva: Search results for winter sailing

Good luck.
Old 13-01-2010, 09:25   #5
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail
move to Florida: it's still cold but at least your reverse cycle will work
Old 13-01-2010, 09:27   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Reverse cycle will work well down to about 40 degrees water temp. Below that and you're facing rapidly diminishing returns or even complete failure. Not catastrophic failure, just an inability to heat until the water warms back up.
Ground (water) Source Reverse Cycle heating works best at WATER temperatures above about 45-50̊ F (7.2 ➛ 10 ̊ C).

Some Air Source systems will operate in winter ambient conditions, down to 5 ̊ F (-15ºC) ambient.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 09:32   #7
Marine Service Provider

thinwater - Problem is I don't want to do an install, for just one year. But thanks, already have done all your other tricks. I have all the cabins closed off, and I'm sleeping in the salon at this point. And using part-time heating. Whenever I leave the boat, unless it's going below freezing the heat goes off.

gonesail - THAT'S the plan!
Old 13-01-2010, 11:57   #8
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Try a small baseboard heat unit from Home Depot...I have one that is about three feet long.....In the middle of February at 1/2 power it gets real toasty.

Ceramic heaters just don't cut it with me.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2010, 12:01   #9
Marine Service Provider

I'm doing fine as far as heat...or...er at least surviving/camping. I'm just possibly looking for something more efficient.
Old 13-01-2010, 12:14   #10

Boat: 37ft pilothouse in the PNW
i have the dickenson p9000 on my catalina works great in the winter. on a 33 ft sailboat i would probably recommend the p12000 but that would depend on how cold it gets where you are. work great cheap to run. i get 70 hours at wide open out of a 20lb bottle 110 hours at medium quite simple to install no smell and comes as a complete kit .
michaelmrc is offline   Reply With Quote