Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-02-2018, 14:16   #46

Re: Heads Sitting 2 Years - UPDATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I dunno where you read that Patrick said to tighten very tight...over-tightening will cause it to leak.

Sounds like you're trying to salvage the old bowl gasket. They're rubber which does dry out, especially if the toilet has sat unused for several years...it no longer has any ability to seal anything. If you haven't replaced it, I'd do that before replacing the toilet.

If you do have to replace the toilet, yes...the Raritan PH SuperFlush would be the best choice. Defender has it on sale for $300.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
From another thread:
Talked to Patrick with Groco. .... He did say that the bolts are supposed to be wicked tight, to the point you are afraid to crack the bowl. He offered to send me a new ...

This is a new gasket. Was replaced with the rebuild....
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 14:32   #47
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
I dunno where you read that Patrick said to tighten very tight...over-tightening will cause it to leak.

Sounds like you're trying to salvage the old bowl gasket. They're rubber which does dry out, especially if the toilet has sat unused for several years...it no longer has any ability to seal anything. If you haven't replaced it, I'd do that before replacing the toilet.

If you do have to replace the toilet, yes...the Raritan PH SuperFlush would be the best choice. Defender has it on sale for $300.

Peggie
"If you can't explain it to a six year old, you don't completely understand it yourself." --Albert Einstein
Hi Peggie
Deciding between the Raritan PH SuperFlush and the Raritan Fresh Head Manual Marine Toilet to ship to the Philippines.

No opportunity to look at either one as to flushing mechanism.

Prefer fresh water for odours, but the flushing system is the priority...Any comnents or advice? Tnx.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 17:19   #48
Marine Service Provider

Since the cost of shipping to the Philippines is a factor, knowing that you can get either one as a "conversion" kit (everything south of the bowl...you can re-use your bowl seat and lid) may help you decide. Defender seems to have the best price for Fresh Head "conversion"...you can also get it from them, but they don't show it in the catalog.
Raritan Fresh Head Retrofit Kit

Whether to go with the Fresh Head depends on whether you have the fresh water to spare for toilet flushing. If not, the PH SuperFlush is the better choice.

Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-02-2018, 20:36   #49
CF Adviser

Quote:

Whether to go with the Fresh Head depends on whether you have the fresh water to spare for toilet flushing. If not, the PH SuperFlush is the better choice.

Peggie
Thanks Peggie, to clarify

Since you said everything below the bowl is interchangeable... The key question for me is whether the PH Superflush has better (more Robust) manual pumping and masticating properties than the Fresh Water conversion?

In Asia, we are pretty much direct discharge when cruising and use shore facilities in Marinas.

So if the PH Superflush is stronger, I would choose that and do a fresh water rinse into bowl in Dry Bowl mode

Normally Fresh water is not an issue, but I have always kept the fwd head saltwater in case of Murphy.[emoji4]
Old 01-03-2018, 06:41   #50
Marine Service Provider

The key question for me is whether the PH Superflush has better (more Robust) manual pumping and masticating properties than the Fresh Water conversion?

The only noticeable difference between the PH SuperFlush and the Fresh Head is the source of the flush water. Both toilets have the same ability to break up solids and move bowl contents their destination (tank or thru-hull).

So if the PH Superflush is stronger, I would choose that and do a fresh water rinse into bowl in Dry Bowl mode

Only by using a cup or shower head to add water directly to the bowl, I hope!

Normally Fresh water is not an issue, but I have always kept the fwd head saltwater in case of Murphy.

You do know that Murphy was actually an optimist?
Old 01-03-2018, 10:05   #51
CF Adviser

Quote:

The only noticeable difference between the PH SuperFlush and the Fresh Head is the source of the flush water. Both toilets have the same ability to break up solids and move bowl contents their destination (tank or thru-hull).

[emoji106] Thanks!

Only by using a cup or shower head to add water directly to the bowl, I hope!

[emoji106] Yes, exactly!

Normally Fresh water is not an issue, but I have always kept the fwd head saltwater in case of Murphy.

You do know that Murphy was actually an optimist?
Lol, that is a scary thought!
I've always considered myself a "professional pessimist" when it came to being a mariner.

I will go with the PH Superflush and a fresh water cleaning hose beside... for this forward guest head.

What spares would you ship with the unit?
.... Thanks again
Old 01-03-2018, 14:05   #52
Marine Service Provider

Only a few joker valves unless you plan to be away from "home" for 5 years or longer. the PHII pump only needs to be kept well lubricated, a new joker valve annually--or at least every two years, and rebuilt every 5-6 years to provide you with 20+ years of reliable trouble-free service. In the unlikely event you'd need anything else, it's readily available from Raritan.
Old 21-03-2018, 12:00   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyingriki View Post
From another thread:
Talked to Patrick with Groco. .... He did say that the bolts are supposed to be wicked tight, to the point you are afraid to crack the bowl. He offered to send me a new ...
Contradicts their written instructions.
Wow, talk about thread creep lately......! Good stuff though.
Wrote Patrick and layed out my question - never heard back. Perhaps he doesn't do email?
Went back to loosening the bolts per their written instructions and leak got worse. Ready to yank it out but I sure like the way it works!
Flyingriki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2018, 14:24   #54
Marine Service Provider

Went back to loosening the bolts per their written instructions and leak got worse.

Cranking the bolts down really tight has created puckers in the gasket. If it's been a week or more since you cranked the bolts down tight, it may take a little time for the puckers in the rubber gasket to recover. The toilet will leak till they do.

Tags
head