Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-06-2019, 17:28   #1

Head shower issues

We have this old arrangement where the knob you see in the photo turns on a pump that pumps out the shower waste water. It’s a 1977 shower/head setup. The shower stall sits up on a platform and I cannot get to the pump because I think it is enclosed in that area underneath. Does anyone have this arrangement and is this the case? How would you change the pump if it went out?
Shouldn’t there be a hair strainer somewhere before it empties out the thru hull? Has anyone ever converted this old style to the newer style where there’s a shower sump box below a hatch somewhere?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5BDDF964-F79D-4652-9EEB-330BBAB9F16B.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	362.9 KB
ID:	194867  
Lemniscate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 18:25   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Head shower issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemniscate View Post
We have this old arrangement where the knob you see in the photo turns on a pump that pumps out the shower waste water. It’s a 1977 shower/head setup. The shower stall sits up on a platform and I cannot get to the pump because I think it is enclosed in that area underneath. Does anyone have this arrangement and is this the case? How would you change the pump if it went out?
Shouldn’t there be a hair strainer somewhere before it empties out the thru hull? Has anyone ever converted this old style to the newer style where there’s a shower sump box below a hatch somewhere?
I have the same type of shower sump activator switch. It turns on a rule centrifugal pump that discharges overboard. How can I help?
Ben
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2019, 18:29   #3

Quote:
I re-read your post. Sorry about that. I can get to my pump, underneath the shower floor. Depending on the type of pump used, your pump may not be submersed in the shower water. Your pump may be located somewhere distal to the shower and is strong enough to suck the water out of the shower and pump it overboard. Many of these shower sump pumps advertise that you do not need a hair strainer. depending on the installation, some are installed with a strainer. My centrifugal pump, does not have a strainer. It's simply sets in a plastic base at the lowest point of the shower pan. I have to unclip it and dig the hair out of it every once in awhile. I also have a check valve in place on the outbound hose. I have had my boat for 7 years. I replaced the sump pump when I bought her.as far as an installation goes, it's very simple.

See if you can trace the hose and find where the sump pump is. It's very likely you may have thought it was your water pump for your plumbing system. They look the same.

Ben
Old 27-06-2019, 18:31   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
I re-read your post. Sorry about that. I can get to my pump, underneath the shower floor. Depending on the type of pump used, your pump may not be submersed in the shower water. Your pump may be located somewhere distal to the shower and is strong enough to suck the water out of the shower and pump it overboard. Many of these shower sump pumps advertise that you do not need a hair strainer. depending on the installation, some are installed with a strainer. My centrifugal pump, does not have a strainer. It's simply sets in a plastic base at the lowest point of the shower pan. I have to unclip it and dig the hair out of it every once in awhile. I also have a check valve in place on the outbound hose. I have had my boat for 7 years. I replaced the sump pump when I bought her.as far as an installation goes, it's very simple.

See if you can trace the hose and find where the sump pump is. It's very likely you may have thought it was your water pump for your plumbing system. They look the same.

Ben
One last thing, I have kept the old style switch. It's all metal. Seems much more robust than anything new I could install. I have flirted with the idea of putting a float switch, but it's unnecessary for my application.

if this current rule pump gives out, I may install a whale gusher pump for overboard discharge of the shower water. I haven't decided on that yet since the current system works. it does take a little while for the centrifugal pump to prime, however.
Old 27-06-2019, 18:33   #5

Do you know where the pump is located? I noticed on the new kinds that have a sump box down in the bilge have strainers. Is there a strainer in this set up?
Old 27-06-2019, 18:39   #6

I think our posts crossed at the same time. I just read your newest reply. I’ll see if I can trace the hose and find the pump. I may post again after I get back from going to the boat this weekend. Thanks
Old 27-06-2019, 20:27   #7

Quote:
I think our posts crossed at the same time. I just read your newest reply. I’ll see if I can trace the hose and find the pump. I may post again after I get back from going to the boat this weekend. Thanks
Sounds good. Make sure to take some time to enjoy sailing and not just being a marine plumber.
Old 28-06-2019, 02:21   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Lemniscate.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head, shower