Composting Style Head ~Unsatisfied 1 0.49%
Bucket And Chuck It ~Satisfied 4 1.96%
Bucket And Chuck It ~Unsatisfied 0 0%
Other...? 6 2.94%
Porti Potties! Duh! ~Satisfied 4 1.96%
Porti Potties! Duh! ~Unsatisfied 2 0.98%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-12-2013, 09:03   #61

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Re: Head Poll -What Do You Have, satisfied?

Here are some Wag bags links (waste alleviation and gelling bag)

Amazon.com: 12-pack WAG™ Bag Kit: Sports & Outdoors

Cleanwaste | World's leader in personal human waste management
Old 07-12-2013, 11:06   #62

Boat: EndeavourCat 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by troppo1 View Post
I would be interested in the poo powder. Have you got link to the wag bags? Over here all the commercial bags are just colored garbage bags with absorbent paper inside. Cheaper for us to use garbage bags and paper towel. But if the helps treat ? the waste then I'm in.
Last two times I shopped around, REI, believe it or not, had the best per bag price I could find, when buying a box of twelve. $34. I keep a couple in the big boat, too, just in case the toilet breaks down. You can also find the poo powder online, and some people toss extra in a wag bag to make it last for more uses.
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 11:43   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.
Boat: Morgan OI 413 1973 - Aythya

In my opinion there a basic disconnect between the concept of recycling organic material in a balanced ecosystem and wrapping feces in plastic. I'm all for the careful placement of organic wastes and preventing pathogens from entering our food supply. I just don't see a justification for conserving the material as a toxic waste.
Old 07-12-2013, 16:42   #64

CaptForce, can you expand? I'm not understanding your point, sorry I can be a little thick . Are you speaking about the plastic wag bags used for disposal? Safety of transport from trash bin to landfill? Or the sewage waste treatment plants?
Old 07-12-2013, 17:07   #65

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
CaptForce, can you expand? I'm not understanding your point, sorry I can be a little thick . Are you speaking about the plastic wag bags used for disposal? Safety of transport from trash bin to landfill? Or the sewage waste treatment plants?
What he's saying is that he doesn't see the point in wrapping turds in plastic and allowing them to sit entombed in a landfill to be discovered by future generations still wet and stinking.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:16   #66
smj

Boat: TRT 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post

What he's saying is that he doesn't see the point in wrapping turds in plastic and allowing them to sit entombed in a landfill to be discovered by future generations still wet and stinking.
I don't think that would happen. My guess is within a couple of months it would be compost.
smj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:20   #67

Boat: EndeavourCat 36

Ok, if you are talking about plastic diapers I get it. I forgot to have children, and I'm not yet ready for adult diapers, so I haven't had to dump any stinking turds in plastic and then into a landfill. However, I do visit a nursing home quite often, and I know it's possible I will offend in the future, even if I don't want to.

If, on the other hand, you are talking about wag bags, I suggest you do some research into them. Here is a quote from the Cleanwaste company website to assist you in your research:

"GO anywhere toilet kits are pre-loaded with the company’s proprietary blend of super-absorbent gelling agents, decay catalysts, and deodorizers – otherwise known as Poo Powder®. The company’s expanding product line-up also includes Sani-Bag+® commode / bedpan liners, on-the-‘go’ and disposable Pee-Wee® unisex urine bags, a privacy shelter, and custom-designed backpack. GO anywhere toilet kits, GO anywhere portable toilet, Sani-Bag+, Pee-Wee and Poo Powder are all manufactured in the USA.

The toilet kits and packaging are, and always have been, biodegradable and are disposable in normal trash. They are even required in a variety of sensitive global settings including Mt. Kilimanjaro, Machu Picchu, Mt. Whitney and other notable outdoor venues, and have also been used on Mt. Everest. The company is a proud corporate partner of the “Leave No Trace®” movement. To-date, the company has sold over 16 million toilet kits to clients in the United States and other countries. "

Cheers!
Cuttyhunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 17:35   #68
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

My post was geared towards the plastic bags and paper towels. Certainly the wag bags seem to have a it more science involved.

On the subject of diapers, it is advisable to dump it out in the household toilet to avoid human waste in the garbage. Probably not many people do this.
Old 08-12-2013, 10:06   #69
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Lived aboard & cruised for 45 years,- now on a chair in my walk-in closet.

My thought about sewage supports the typical treatment of large municipalities where digestion by aerobic bacteria is folllowed by anaerobic digestion tanks and the eventual release of uncontaminated water back into the ecosystem as well as the "sludge" that is a recyclable organic soil. In smaller quantities feces that is kept away from the immediate food and water supply is decomposed by bacteria and recycled as it has been for millions of years. Urine, which is typically sterile, is mostly water, mineral salts and urea (a compound of carbon-dioxide & ammonia), is less of a potential pathogen or nutrient problem. I do object to breaking this natural recycling of organic waste by removing the feces from it's swift route in being decomposed by bacteria and becomming a landfill product.
Old 08-12-2013, 14:36   #70

CaptForce, you bring up some great points. The wags, and dessicting toilets are certainly not "the perfect solution". The ideal situation would be for the dessicating stuff be completely broken down ( majority of pathogens killed) before going to landfill, personal flower garden etc, which would be fine, it's just nice dirt. BUT, small dessicating heads like what we have aboard do not generate the heat needed to fully accomplish this. Landfills have the heat, but may not supply the AIR that's needed. The handler of poo must be sure the waste gets the heat and air before releasing into the environment. So, not a perfect system. I certainly don't have the answers, just fumbling around doing my best.

But the waste water treatment strategy is not a perfect system either, considering most poo world wide is pumped directly out into wherever, without any treatment at all. The system you speak of doesn't exist except in a few chosen countries. There are some good ones, advanced and forward thinking. But even in the US many millions of sewage water is only primary treated, the sludge going to landfills . Many cities here in the US and Europe are fighting aging machines, and need up grades. Many/most of the plants chlorinate the water before final release, ( chlorinate and another chemical I can't remember the name) this in large quantities must not be good. Many plants have an overflow pipes for extreme influx situations, drains right out into the environment. We saw that here during IKE. Trips to the pump out station, when we had the wet heat set up, did not give me a warm fuzzy feeling, I always had a sinking suspicion that it would find its way straight into the water. So not a perfect situation, sigh.

Perfect Poo disposal is not an easy task. I would love to be zero footprint, zero bags, do zero harm. First looking into desiccating heads, I was very skeptical, still am in some ways. But so far, it still seems like the best alternative for Rain Dog. We plan to cruise, where we go will not have pump outs, and if they do, I'm pretty sure their system is primary only and the rest pumped into wherever.
Old 08-12-2013, 15:47   #71
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ocean Girl View Post
.....................But the waste water treatment strategy is not a perfect system either, considering most poo world wide is pumped directly out into wherever, without any treatment at all. The system you speak of doesn't exist except in a few chosen countries. .................. So not a perfect situation, sigh. ................
Yes, we are basically in total agreement. It seems that the factor that causes the stress to the environment is the concentration of population. Population density and the transmission of pathogens should be the factors that determine methods of waste disposal.

I must say that my previous post comes with a total lack of familiarity with "wag" bags. Actually, if these plastic wrappings are biodegradable, then I'm all for them.
Old 08-12-2013, 16:20   #72

Boat: Matlack, Trawler, 48 ft

Amapola came with an electric head which proved unsatisfactory. We now have a couple of manual Raritan's and are happy with them.
Old 08-12-2013, 16:47   #73

Boat: Burger 74' motor yacht, 65 foot 12 metre, Flicka and sailing dinghy
Raritan Elegance, work well but i do not like the electronic controls. I use two momentary switches, one to add water the other to flush
Old 08-12-2013, 16:58   #74

Thanks for the great feedback, and for voting in the poll.
Ocean Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 14:37   #75

I was hoping for a lot of votes, bump :-)

Tags
Air Head, C Head, composting Head, Deccicating head, Electric head, head, Jabsco Head, lavac, Manual Head, Natures Head, poll, raritan, toilet