Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

View Poll Results: Which type of Marine Sanitation Device (MSD) do you have?
Flow-through, maceration and disinfection (Type I) 9 5.36%
Flow-through, biological treatment & disinfection (Type II) 1 0.60%
Holding tank, pump out discharge (Type III) 111 66.07%
Composting head (Type III) 37 22.02%
Porta Pottie or other portable toilets 5 2.98%
Other, bucket and chuck it, etc. 5 2.98%
Voters: 168. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-09-2019, 14:20   #31
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32
Re: Head Poll v2.0 - what type do you have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by zengirl View Post
I'm looking at ordering the Lavac head which you posted about. And there are two choices to pick from...top action pump or under deck pump
It depends if you want to hide the pump (underdeck) or have it visible. Depends on space but the top action pump is easier to service.
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 14:23   #32

Boat: Rafiki 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have a Raritan PH11,
Manual Handle Macerator, with Y valves, It goes over the side or into a Tank,
It can be pumped out from the deck or discharged over the side,
I like it, Its clean and dont smell,

Not sure where it goes in your poll,
Yeah, I wish I had included another option to cover this kind of dual function. My bad…

As long as you’re only discharging out past the 3 nm limit, or getting pumped out, then I think it would be a Type III MSD.
Old 24-09-2019, 14:47   #33
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B View Post
I have a Raritan PH11,
Manual Handle Macerator, with Y valves, It goes over the side or into a Tank,
It can be pumped out from the deck or discharged over the side,
I like it, Its clean and dont smell, Not sure where it goes in your poll,
The PHII is an outstanding manual toilet, but its not a macerating toilet...no manual toilet is. Even putting a motor on a PHII doesn't turn it into a macerating toilet...the motor only replaces the pump HANDLE.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 15:22   #34

Boat: Paper Tiger 14 foot, Gemini 105MC 34 foot Catamaran Hull no 825

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
The PHII is an outstanding manual toilet, but its not a macerating toilet...no manual toilet is. Even putting a motor on a PHII doesn't turn it into a macerating toilet...the motor only replaces the pump HANDLE.

--Peggie
I mainly sail offshore, well outside the 3 mile limit,
Observation of the effluent discharge is an orange-brown coloured stream with no solids,
Even paper is shredded to the point of non existance,
So therefore I assumed it was a macerator,
It certainly grinds it up into nothing, Handle operated,
And yes, It is an outstanding toilet,

Thanks, Brian,
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:39   #35

Boat: Outremer 55L

One composting head (Nature’s Head) and one electric head with macerating pump direct to discharge. Composting head is the primary.

On the app, so no poll voting.
fxykty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-09-2019, 17:43   #36
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike OReilly View Post
Oh come on. There’s got to be others who care … or is it just me?
It’s you
Old 24-09-2019, 19:33   #37

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 50 G5

Ours does not quite fit but voted anyway.
Still very happy after 9 years with our two electric heads that macerate and gravity discharge where appropriate, or to the two individual holding tanks for later pump-out or gravity discharge where appropriate. Simple push button operation, no smells, all the toilet paper you need - just like home.
David B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 03:20   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by David B View Post
Ours does not quite fit but voted anyway.
Still very happy after 9 years with our two electric heads that macerate and gravity discharge where appropriate, or to the two individual holding tanks for later pump-out or gravity discharge where appropriate. Simple push button operation, no smells, all the toilet paper you need - just like home.
Thanks David. It’s clear I should have included this kind of dual function type in the list. Thanks for voting anyway. It’s interesting how so many people have this kind of setup. I don’t recall it coming up much in the first poll two years ago.

Actually seems like the best of all worlds; direct discharge when appropriate (Type I) or hold for pump out when necessary (Type III).
Old 25-09-2019, 04:29   #39

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

Quote:
Thanks David. It’s clear I should have included this kind of dual function type in the list. Thanks for voting anyway. It’s interesting how so many people have this kind of setup. I don’t recall it coming up much in the first poll two years ago.

Actually seems like the best of all worlds; direct discharge when appropriate (Type I) or hold for pump out when necessary (Type III).
I imagine it doesn't come up as much because Americans tend to have pump outs. In Europe/Med seldom do you see a pump out station though they do exist. Every cruiser I know has a holding tank, and more often than not, pump out/gravity drain to sea when outside the correct limits.
mikedefieslife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 05:00   #40

Boat: allied, seawind 1, 30.5ft

On app so no poll.

Lavac, manual pump to Holding tank. Deck pumpout.

To fix potential clogged pump issues, I placed a quick connect coupling between pump and tank, to which I can connect a second in line pump to clear the clogged primary pump. Also installed a bidet to reduce TP use.
andrzej0nl1ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 05:08   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikedefieslife View Post
I imagine it doesn't come up as much because Americans tend to have pump outs. In Europe/Med seldom do you see a pump out station though they do exist. Every cruiser I know has a holding tank, and more often than not, pump out/gravity drain to sea when outside the correct limits.
I also think there is a cultural thing going on because I can't ever remember seeing let alone using a composting head on a yacht in the UK.

As for holding tanks, I saw a pump out station in the new Portland Marina a month ago, there are probably others around the coast, but I couldn't name them. Holding tanks particularly on older boats are also pretty rare unless folk are heading to the USE (United States of Europe). We don't have one.

However, inland canals and rivers like the Norfolk Broads have had strict rules for some years. Probably take more legislation and inspections to change things for sea going vessels.

Pete (just going off to read the rules)
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 05:43   #42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
I also think there is a cultural thing going on because I can't ever remember seeing let alone using a composting head on a yacht in the UK. …
I think you’re right Pete. The USA seems to be the focus of poop problems. Canada mirrors America’s laws, but we don’t seem as anal () about it all. No doubt has something to do with sheer density of boaters down there.

A composter is just so easy, and so effective for small crews, or for people who only use their boats for short periods. I’ve predicted that their numbers will continue to grow as laws get more restrictive and enforcement increases.
Old 25-09-2019, 06:57   #43
Marine Service Provider

Few people realize that solid waste is at least 75% water, which means it dissolves in water very quickly, especially after it's been broken up going through the toilet pump. And unless you're using premium TP, which has extra fibers for strength and "creams" for softness, it also dissolves completely very quickly...in fact, the best test of TP to determine whether it's suitable for use in a marine toilet is to put a couple of sheets in a mason jar or glass of water....come back in an hour and shake the jar or stir the glass. If the water is milky and all you see is "snow" it's the same thing as "marine/rv" TP...but if the sheet(s) are still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.) So unless you dump the tank within about 30 minutes after passing solids and using TP, the contents will be liquid... making macerators in overboard discharge pumps and toilets unnecessary.

So nothing is being "ground up" by your toilet, everything is just dissolving.

Btw...if you haven't replaced the joker valve in least two years, you'll be amazed by how much more efficient it will be if you do. And a rebuild kit every 5-6 years will keep it working reliably for 20+ years.

--Peggie
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 07:41   #44
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Head Poll v2.0 - what type do you have?

Quote:
I think you’re right Pete. The USA seems to be the focus of poop problems. Canada mirrors America’s laws, but we don’t seem as anal () about it all. No doubt has something to do with sheer density of boaters down there.

A composter is just so easy, and so effective for small crews, or for people who only use their boats for short periods. I’ve predicted that their numbers will continue to grow as laws get more restrictive and enforcement increases.

I am just going out on a limb here and I’ll bet that as composting heads become more mainstream, there will be a move towards restricting them.
I believe the reason is how do you dispose of the waste?

A boat that is pumped out the waste goes into some kind of waste treatment system, where does your waste go?

Remember perception is reality, especially it seems with US boats and waste disposal.

I believe it will take some kind of disposal system put in place for the public to accept them, right now they are under the Radar, some fool hasn’t raised the alarm yet, but I think one eventually will.

Oh, and I thought almost every cruising US boat had a waste tank and a Y valve to allow direct discharge. As factory fit my waste tank could only be emptied from the deck fitting by pumping out, I added a macerator pump to be able to empty it when over three miles out.
I didn’t use a diaphragm pump because I rarely use it, normally I’m either discharging or pumping out.
A diaphragm pump cost more, is more reliable and will last longer.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-09-2019, 08:12   #45

Boat: Outremer 45/pdq36

Electric with fresh water flush

Tags
head, poll