Cruisers Forum

Join CruisersForum Today

Old 20-09-2009, 11:04   #31
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
OK, so do it in the anchorage and use the holding tank NOT, OR use the tank and them motor out into the deep water and flush. Can be done. That's anchorages.

But how to stop people from using marine heads in marinas???

PS As far as sewage treatment facilities in the West Indies are concerned, Le Marin had none back in 2004 but now they have had one for a moment and the change inside the lagoon is clear! So, some places do change for the better.

b.

Old 20-09-2009, 11:21   #32

If saltwater makes human waste safe within minutes why are so many beaches closed in the US due to high (unsafe) bacterial content when there are sewerage leaks? You would think that gov't agencies would rather not do this if were safe because of the financial cost and bad pub.

Old 20-09-2009, 11:26   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to gosstyla
Quote:
Originally Posted by celticroamer View Post
Experiences of other cruisers welcome
Not as a cruiser - but more times than not when I have chartered in the BVIs the Y valve has been tied for overboard discharge and I have been instructed to not untie and switch to holding tank.
Old 20-09-2009, 11:37   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeattleBaba View Post
I would suggest that humans are a unique and fascinating part of the ecosystem. As for "culling the herd," careful what you wish for.

Jud
Thread drift alert:
Granny, take a pain pill instead of the surgery...
Old 20-09-2009, 11:51   #35

Boat: Teak Yawl, 37'
Gross Out in Paradise

One of the reasons I'll not be going back to the BVI's. 60 - 70 boats anchored in the Bight, Norman Island. Was going for a morning swim on a spectacular warm morning and then I paused and did the math, 60 X 4 people ~ 240 flushes... I would guess that most charterers don't use the Y valve for convenience. Bad medicine. Too many people on vacation in the same place.
Old 20-09-2009, 11:55   #36

Boat: 25' Coronada - Seileaster
Salt water may be very effective at disinfecting biological contaminants in human waste. The principle of using a salt water rinse (dental surgery) to keep your mouth infection fre. Bacteria are either salt water or fresh water (usually). A high concentration of salt in water will cause fresh water bacteria (microorganisms) to shrivel and die, salt water bacteria placed in fresh expand and explode.

"The major effect of salt as a preservative is that it withdraws water from microorganisms if the external salt concentration is high enough. The microbes would shrivel and die, spores would not be killed but would not be able to germinate. High concentrations of sugar have the same effect. The physical term for this is hypertonic tension.: Dr. Wassenaar
Curator of the Virtual Museum of Bacteria

As to closing beaches, true counts may become high especially if it is a sewage leak, no longer do you have a cupful of human waste in a sea of salt water. You have a concentration of contaminate meeting on a front with the sea water. Concentration of salt is lower in the tidal area (think river meets ocean- fresh/salt are literally separated possible for hundreds of miles). However the beaches eventually right themselves through mixing of salt/fresh and dilution. (At least I hope this happens)
Old 20-09-2009, 12:34   #37

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Brown trout and tissue fish are abundant in the Caribbean
Old 20-09-2009, 13:03   #38

Boat: Columbia 45 / Iroquois 30
nothin like a morning dook in the ocean.
Old 20-09-2009, 17:37   #39
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: a sailing boat
But I do not like the idea of swimming in slightly diluted poop, even if it is completely bacteria-free!!!

Tourism might be the worst industry people invented ever (eco-wise). In New Cal the vast areas of wasteland (former mines) are growing up with lush vegetation. In Canary Islands (which are 'mid-ocean' and in the current, the water pollution is so bad that beaches 20 miles down the coast from Las Palmas (the big town here) have been labeled the black flag. And the landscape here ... well, there is virtually no landscape on the N and W coasts - some 100 miles of the ugliest human intervention one can imagine.

And the sailing tourist (a.k.a. cruiser) is just as bad for the enviro as any other tourist.

I believe the solution would be to find new areas so that the boats would not be forced to stay in such devastating aggregations. Imagine Cuba and Haiti open up for us one day (I mean - they become safe, welcoming and problem-free). Now this would be a huge factor towards the betterment of sea life protection everywhere in the West Indies.

b.
Old 21-09-2009, 01:26   #40
Do… or do not

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
What's wrong with Cuba now? It's welcoming and safe and only US boats might have some problems; not with the Cubans but with the US government. Don't get me wrong, but Cuba is a tourist destination for the rest of the world, incl. yacht charter companies (yes, both Moorings and Sunsail are there too), huge resorts etc.

The customs and immigration procedures take their time and must be repeated for every port... just like in the US and most of Central and South America.

cheers,
Nick.
Old 21-09-2009, 02:59   #41

Boat: Jeanneau 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
...I get the impression that it is legal in the carribean to direct discharge...
Perhaps not necessarily legal, but not enforced in any way. The BVI, with it's high ratio of charterers, is pretty bad in places such as Great Harbour (when crowded) or The Bight; as is Simpson Baie, Marigot (since the new breakwater) and English/Falmouth harbours. No "poo police" around
Old 21-09-2009, 05:03   #42
Don't ask if you can't handle it

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hunter 410
Now I don't want to go into the water. This was just a crappy thread!
Old 21-09-2009, 08:48   #43

Location: West Indies, Now live aboard as cruiser/ voyager often with guest/ friends
Boat: 36' Bene
Send a message via ICQ to Reality Check
We really need to put a stop the all the fish and whales from crapping and peeing in the water! Do you know how much a fish will pee every day! How about those arrowhead crabs that keep their own poop on top of their heads for recycling!!! Ask any salt water aquarium keeper about the problem!
Old 21-09-2009, 09:35   #44

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
For those who rationalize sewage discharges as acceptable because fish do it, how about this -people should be able to crap up the oceans and let the fish do it in our homes.

Where did someone find evidence that salt water kills most bacteria and any viruses?
Or is this an extrapolation of the dilution-is-the-solution concept?
Old 21-09-2009, 09:41   #45
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 32.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
OK, so do it in the anchorage and use the holding tank NOT, OR use the tank and them motor out into the deep water and flush. Can be done. That's anchorages.

But how to stop people from using marine heads in marinas???

b.

When in a marina, use shore side facilities or take the boat out to dump. Untying from the dock and coming back to your own slip is no more difficult than pulling up anchor and re-anchoring.

Tags
Caribbean

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: