Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2016, 22:07   #1

Boat: irwin 37 center cockpit
Head Backflow

having problems with backflow in both my heads. was thinking of putting in check valves, but not sure if i should just put knife valves in insted. will the check valves get clogged to easy? or is there something wrong with the system.
fisherman.ben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 22:54   #2

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Re: head backflow

Ur check valve is the joker valve.
Old 30-04-2016, 23:00   #3

Boat: S2 11.0A 36'

Joker valves or vent hose may be plugged.

SC
sailcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2016, 23:47   #4
RDW

Boat: Morris 1996 46' Lexington

I once had a small screw fall into the head and stick in the joker valve holding it open to cause backflow.
rdw
RDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:41   #5
Marine Service Provider

If by "backflow" you mean that you're feeling some resistance when you pump the toilet and the flush is being "pushed" back, you most likely have a blocked holding tank vent that's pressurized the system. If both toilets are connected to the same tank, that's almost guaranteed to be the problem.
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 15:44   #6

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite
Re: Head Backflow

If its flowing back into the bowl after you pump it dry, it's the joker valve.

Don't install extra stuff in the line that is only going to get plugged with crap. Pun intended.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 18:52   #7

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com
Boat: 1982 Cape Dory 36 Hull #78

Hijacking....mine's doing the same thing, the bowl slowly fills back up.
Had the Marina poo sucker come out to evacuate the tank and it took forever. I had to pull the sucking thing off the inlet, let air into the tank and then do it some more. It eventually sucked the water clean out of the toilet bowl.
Does this mean the vent is clogged?
SSgtPitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2016, 20:57   #8
Marine Service Provider

Yes....I'd say the vent is definitely clogged. You're lucky the pumpout service pump wasn't strong enough to implode your tank! Don't use the head again or try to pump out again until you've cleared it.

The two most common locations are the vent thru-hull and the other end of the vent line--both that end of the hose and the vent fitting on the tank. Start by using a screw driver blade, ice pick--whatever works to dig out any crud (mud dauber nests in tank vents are VERY common in the spring)...if there's a screen, break it out...screens create more problems than they solve or prevent. After you're sure the thru-hull is clean, open the deck pumpout cap to relieve any pressure in the system...then remove the vent line from the tank (warming the hose a bit will make it easier to remove AND put back)...scrape out what you find in the of the hose and in the vent fitting on the tank. If there's a filter in the vent line remove it. If it's ever gotten wet, it can be the blockage 'cuz the charcoal swells up and creates one.

That SHOULD solve both your backflow problem and your pumpout problem.

And btw, SAILJUMANJI...a joker valve cannot CAUSE backflow...a worn one will only ALLOW backflow caused by somthing else to enter the bowl. You have to find out what's causing waste to run back toward the toilet and fix that to actually solve the problem. Just replacing the joker valve is only putting a band-aid on it.
Old 14-05-2016, 03:13   #9

Boat: 2019 Seawind 1160 Lite

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post

And btw, SAILJUMANJI...a joker valve cannot CAUSE backflow...a worn one will only ALLOW backflow caused by somthing else to enter the bowl. You have to find out what's causing waste to run back toward the toilet and fix that to actually solve the problem. Just replacing the joker valve is only putting a band-aid on it.
Semantics. A faulty joker valve will allow all fluid in the system higher in elevation than the joker valve to backflow into the bowl. Everything else in the system can be performing perfectly. In my experience, if you pump the bowl dry and fluid slowly leaks back in, the joker valve is the culprit. Most times fixed by cleaning the scale off of the backside. If it's an older "worn" part then time to replace.
sailjumanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 18:25   #10

Location: Thhe boat is in Titusville, FL and we're back in CO for a few months resupplying the cruising kitty and raising money for our childrens dental charity www.sailing4smiles.com

I love this forum. I'll be cleaning and scraping shortly.
In my younger years....two sticks and a 5gal bucket worked just fine.
Old 16-05-2016, 19:42   #11

The Admiral is giving me grief about me using the phrase, "the poo sucking thing".
Of course, we're laughing together as we read it to each other, i find it hilarious, she thinks it makes me sound ignorant......i think it's fun....and that's why i'm here, to have fun.
So once i get the vent cleaned out i'll have the poo sucker back over to test it. And when i call the Marina office that's what i'm asking for, "the poo sucker".
Old 16-05-2016, 19:52   #12
Marine Service Provider

Whatever floats YOUR boat works just fine for me too!
Old 01-06-2016, 12:02   #13

Peg, thanks for your help. A screw driver, a little copper wire, some water and a few contortions and the vent is now clear. The poo sucker no longer collapses the tank and the fresh aroma of my holding tank is now enjoyed from the stern of the boat.....and I replaced the joker valve too. It seems even with an empty holding tank there's no way to keep from having pee fingers with this job... but the bowl doesn't back fill any longer, so there will be no more pee feet, which is nice. replacing the joker valve took all of ten minutes. I'm going to get a couple of those "tri-valves" to keep handy for the next replacement.
A question - the anti-siphon loop is in the head locker ( med cab ) and it has a little vent prong on the top of it which looks like it should have a 1/8" hose on it. When we use the toilet, should wonderful smells emanate from this device and should I run a little vent hose from it far away to somewhere else ?
Old 01-06-2016, 13:49   #14
Marine Service Provider

...and I replaced the joker valve too. It seems even with an empty holding tank there's no way to keep from having pee fingers with this job.

Yes there is: flush plenty of clean fresh water through the toilet before taking anything apart!

the anti-siphon loop is in the head locker ( med cab ) and it has a little vent prong on the top of it which looks like it should have a 1/8" hose on it.

Nope, never put a vent line on a vented loop. The hose would be so small that it would quickly become clogged with waste and sea water minerals, turning your loop into an UNvented loop that would no longer have any ability to break a siphon.

If you look closely at the inside of that little "vent prong," you'll see that it's threaded...that's where an air valve should be (see photo for an example...they aren't all red and can be a different shape), but apparently isn't. Because they're sold separately, the kids working in boat stores today rarely know they exist. Get one and install it and your vented loop will no longer perfume the air. Air valves do require occasional cleaning and replacement, so buy two...they don't cost much.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Vented loop with air valve.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	125340  
Old 01-06-2016, 14:39   #15

Boat: Sabre 34-2

[/I]Yes there is: flush plenty of clean fresh water through the toilet before taking anything apart!

For many of us, that was a duh moment the first time replacing the joker valve.
doug1957 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
head