Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-07-2011, 09:27   #1

Groco Model K Shooting Water Out of Bowl During Flush

A steady and powerful stream of water shoots up out of bowl during flushing dry. I do not know what is causing this, but I suspect is may be a clog up stream at the Y valve or discharge seacock. The Model K has been regualary serviced and has been rebuilt not too many flushes ago. If anyone can shine a light on this problem, please comment. The bowl does flush and operates normally, otherwise.
retomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 09:29   #2

Boat: Pacific Seacraft 37
Re: Groco Model K Shooting Water out of Bowl During Flush

Call Groco...they're tech support folks are very helpful
SalishCraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:45   #3
Marine Service Provider

I need a little more info... When you say "shoots up out of the bowl," do you mean that the toilet is spitting up bowl contents? Or that the toilet has somehow magically managed to turn itself into a fountain that's spitting flush water out of the hole in the bottom of the bowl? Or out some other orifice in the bowl...like maybe from a hole in the rim?

Or...it's not doing either of those things...so what exactly, in detail, IS it doing? And is it ONLY happening in the dry mode, not in the wet mode?
peghall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 13:55   #4

Hi, Peg:

Thanks for the note...a geyser effect takes place while draining the bowl after the flush process...the water is clean and is coming out of the main drain hole at the bottom of the bowl. It appears the flap is not closing entirely or the water is coming through the hole in the flap where there is a washer and rivet....I called Groco at the suggestion of someone here on the forum, and described my issues to the customer service tech, Brian. We put together a solution based around replacing the rubber flap at the bottom of the bowl, and a few other parts all related to the rubber flap.

Apparently the geyser is being caused by either a hole in the flap (where rivet is placed, or a misalignment. I will take the bowl off and replace with new parts as needed. I bought a bunch of spares. The Groco Model K is a great item, and I will have to learn how to best care for it. The unit was not used for ten years while the boat was stored inside for all that time. I suspect the winter antifreeze that was in the bowl did it job to deteriorate the rubber items....so they will have to be replace.

I have read your articles and found them very informative, and will care for the unit based upon your general suggestions, and maintenance routines...

Quote:
Originally Posted by peghall View Post
I need a little more info... When you say "shoots up out of the bowl," do you mean that the toilet is spitting up bowl contents? Or that the toilet has somehow magically managed to turn itself into a fountain that's spitting flush water out of the hole in the bottom of the bowl? Or out some other orifice in the bowl...like maybe from a hole in the rim?

Or...it's not doing either of those things...so what exactly, in detail, IS it doing? And is it ONLY happening in the dry mode, not in the wet mode?
Old 27-07-2011, 13:56   #5

Boat: Panda 40 - S/V Cambria

My suspicion, based unfortunately upon experience, is that you have something keeping the flap at the bottom of the bowl from closing all the way when pumping - so the pressurized "mixture" takes the path of least resistance - up. Also possible is the little screw holding the spring in the middle of the flap fell out.

Michael
svcambria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 16:04   #6
Marine Service Provider

Apparently the geyser is being caused by either a hole in the flap (where rivet is placed, or a misalignment).

That may be what's allowing the water to escape into the bowl... But how is CLEAN--not a mix of bowl contents, but CLEAN--flush water getting into the discharge pump to push against the flap in the discharge? Why is it ONLY clean water that's coming back up the discharge? And what's creating enough back pressure to create a geyser instead of only a back flow? And all of it happening only in the dry mode?

There's gotta be more to this problem than just a problematic flapper valve...and all I have are questions, no answers. Call Groco again and this time talk to Patrick....he does have the answers.
Old 27-07-2011, 16:47   #7

Boat: PETERSON 44
You have a groco bidet certainly a luxury aboard but you need to stop using it as a toilet. Get a vacu flush for a toilet and if you really must have move the groco to the side and be a truly upscale yacht with a working restroom and bidet. Smiley face with tongue in check picture
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 16:57   #8

Boat: nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by sabray
You have a groco bidet certainly a luxury aboard but you need to stop using it as a toilet. Get a vacu flush for a toilet and if you really must have move the groco to the side and be a truly upscale yacht with a working restroom and bidet. Smiley face with tongue in check picture
Or one of those fancy toilets in Japan...with the warm water? Nice...
Piglet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 17:17   #9

Boat: PETERSON 44
Really I don't like working on heads joker valves anti siphon things. Clogged flappers. Neither do I think just chucking a toilet every year is sustainable. Vacu flush is the best toilet I've ever had aboard. The lavac being second. Why continue with a system that has repeated problems and maintenance. Be gone old pump style heads we have real work to do. a composting airhead would beat all the problems that traditional old style heads have. Have not used one yet but am thinking it would be nice in the aft head tool room.
sabray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-07-2011, 21:15   #10

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28
Re: Groco Model K Shooting Water Out of Bowl During Flush

There is a plastic piece riveted onto the bottom of the flapper valve visible at the bottom of the bowl. When the rivet fails you get a nice little jet of water shooting up through the rivet hole as the piston travels up. Easy fix, replace the flapper valve. Look for the lost plastic piece. It probably is dirty water shooting up. The hole is too small to let chunks through. You could just rename your toilet "Old Facefull" and enjoy the show.
Old 28-07-2011, 06:44   #11

New parts on the way....Meantime, very gentle flushing when needed...Thanks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopCar View Post
There is a plastic piece riveted onto the bottom of the flapper valve visible at the bottom of the bowl. When the rivet fails you get a nice little jet of water shooting up through the rivet hole as the piston travels up. Easy fix, replace the flapper valve. Look for the lost plastic piece. It probably is dirty water shooting up. The hole is too small to let chunks through. You could just rename your toilet "Old Facefull" and enjoy the show.
Old 28-07-2011, 21:54   #12
Marine Service Provider

You could just rename your toilet "Old Facefull" and enjoy the show.

Oh, that's priceless...I hope you won't mind if I use it!

Tags
flushing, water