Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-10-2019, 17:44   #1

Gray water holding tank? Oi 28

We just got a Morgan out Island 28 and the drain on the sink is clogged I disconnected it where it goes into the floor and Water started coming out of it. Is there a tank under the store? Is there a pump somewhere for? It's a 1976. We have only had smaller boats before. Nothing with a holding tank, so I really know nothing about any of it. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Gkusaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 18:13   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Gray water holding tank? Oi 28

Originally it just went into the ocean under the "floor" what leads you to believe there's a grey water tank ?
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 18:19   #3

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Where you disconnected the hose, is it below the water line?
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 19:45   #4

Yes where the hose disconnects is below the waterline. I'm not sure if it has a holding tank. I thought it ran down under the floor to the bilge, but wouldn't that smell? I know bilge water smells anyway. The bilge is pretty empty. There is a hole in the floor where I put a pump. I did assume it just went down under the floor until I disconnected the hose and water started coming out. Could there be a tank and a pump somewhere?
Old 11-10-2019, 19:51   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Boating 101 - You really need to examine your boat and know where all the holes are.
Old 11-10-2019, 20:23   #6

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gkusaj View Post
Yes where the hose disconnects is below the waterline. I'm not sure if it has a holding tank. I thought it ran down under the floor to the bilge, but wouldn't that smell? I know bilge water smells anyway. The bilge is pretty empty. There is a hole in the floor where I put a pump. I did assume it just went down under the floor until I disconnected the hose and water started coming out. Could there be a tank and a pump somewhere?
Ah no, the water was not so much coming out as coming in, to the boat through the below waterline skin fitting. There should be a valve attached to the skin fitting that you turn off when you leave the boat and whenever work is done of the attached plumbing.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2019, 21:03   #7

There is a valve like that on the sink and the head in the. Bathroom. So if I unclog the hose, and install a valve then it should work, right?
Old 11-10-2019, 21:33   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Quote:
There is a valve like that on the sink and the head in the. Bathroom. So if I unclog the hose, and install a valve then it should work, right?
There should already be a seacock on any below the waterline throughull.
Old 11-10-2019, 23:17   #9

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Essentially yes but as Boatpoker has said, there should be a seacock on any through hull fitting, which is basically what I said as well.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 03:36   #10

Boat: Beneteau 423 43 feet

If I were you I would learn your boat before you take her out..... not knowing the basics where all your thru hull fittings are will easily sink you. Hull fittings should be closed when leaving boat and opened when you come back to use boat. If you can’t figure it out it would pay to hire someone to teach you these things.....

Good luck
Greg
NYSail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 04:16   #11
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Gkusaj.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:58   #12

Yeah that's what I'm in the process of doing. I wonder how many people your arrogance chases off on this site? I'm a horse trainer I would love to see you all in my world.
Old 12-10-2019, 07:59   #13

Thank you but I hardly feel welcome at all. I feel like people are trying to make me feel stupid. I came here for the information they're telling me I should go find. Pretty silly really
Old 12-10-2019, 08:13   #14

Boat: 29 ft

It seems there is a website especially for this boat The Morgan Out Island 28 Page - Welcome Aboard! They may be able to help.

The thing with boats is, that they differ so much. Already the producers tend to offer a long list of extras you can have fitted or not and then, people start to adapt them to their needs. The chances of a 1976 boat being fitted as standard with a holding tank are very slim. The most common solution would have been discharge out of the boat, either below or above the water line. But nobody knows who has done what for which reasons on your boat since 1976. Photos might help.

Every opening below the waterline is important, the second most likely cause of boat loss is failure of fittings on openings below the waterline or attached hoses. The most likely is fire.

All the best, the initial learning courve can be a bit steep.
Hesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:25   #15

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

These are not meant to be mean or arrogant. Failed through hulls, broken hoses sink boats all of the time. If you dig far enough, you should find a valve intimately attached to the hull. These are shut off when you are away or if they are not in use. If you exercise them regularly they will be easily closed when it’s absolutely necessary to close one to save your boat. Think of what happens if a hose fails and you discover water over the floor boards. Knowing where these valve are prevents a sinking. The valves sometimes become hard to operate and may need to be replaced. Lubricating them when the boat is out of the water is a necessary item on your to-do list.

Typically valves are at the sink drain, engine intake, sea trunk if you have one, shower and head discharge, AC, deck wash, etc. ours are labeled where the cabin floor boards are lifted. You and your regular crew should know where these are as well as they know where to find a PFD.

Your drains may be set up with anti siphon reliefs ahead of the through hull valve. These prevent sea water from siphoning back into the boat. These are at high points in the line. Occasionally take these apart and make sure the little ball check or flapper operates freely and is clean.

Ask a dock mate to show you or help you find these items. Wed like to have you stay afloat and enjoy your boat.
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gray water, holding tank, water