Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2007, 00:13   #1

gravity tank

Hey everyone. I've got a low pressure pump for my diesel cabin heater right now, but want to ditch it. I've been looking around on ebay, but not really finding what I'm looking for.

I'd like to find a 1-2 gallon stainless, or otherwise "pretty" tank. 1/4" in, 1/4" out. I suppose it needs some form of a vent hole up top too, but that might stink a bit so I'm not sure.

Anyone have any ideas? My buddy has a nice one he came across. Uses a bulb to pump diesel into his, and it lasts for a day or two. His is glass I think; looks really nice.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 00:15   #2

I should add that this tank will be sitting in the cabin, mounted on a bulkhead, which is why I want it to look "pretty". If I could pick a style, it would be industrial / nautical. So not an old beat up kerosene tank, or WM powder coated pressure tank, although maybe I should paint anchors on it and call it done?
Old 21-12-2007, 00:37   #3

Maybe something like this:

eBay Motors: 3 gallon chrome air tank suspension on board airtank (item 260126020019 end time Jan-01-08 18:13:15 PST)

3 gallon chrome tank. With a two 1/2" ports, I could have draining into the tank, the other supplying, but where does the air go?
Old 21-12-2007, 02:40   #4
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebel heart View Post
gravity tank .
this is a very serious subject.

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 03:28   #5

Boat: C&C 27
The brass alcohol supply tank from Homestead stoves is actually quite attractive. It may be a bit small for your purpose but other brands may be big enough to suit your needs. The names of other stove manufacturers like Optimus and Primus may be good search terms as well.
Pura Vida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 13:00   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Dude, if you're going to be keeping a tank full of gravity on the bulkhead, just make sure you seal that tank up tightly. If the gravity should leak out, if could badly distort the hull and pull out the keelbolts.

(With thoughts of Ghostbusters and the Ectoplasmic Containment Vessel.[g])
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 13:14   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
Would a pony keg work? It would probably polish up real nice. The real benefit is you and a few buddy's could have a great time emptying it. What might look real cool is one cut in half (from axis to axis) and then welded onto a stainless or aluminum, depending on the material of the keg and then attached to the bulkhead. The volume would be around 3.6 gallons then.

A mini keg might work...I don't know how flimsy they are since they are not intended to be returned.

Cheers!
David

http://netnet.net/~brewhaus/Images/PonyBbl.jpg

http://netnet.net/~brewhaus/Images/PonyTop.jpg

Mini keg: Keg - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
http://www.liquorbrands.com/images/w...030L%20keg.jpg

http://www.liquorbrands.com/images/w...030L%20keg.jpg

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 13:33   #8

Boat: 1973 Morgan 36T
This might work.

he he he ha ha ha, he he he ha ha ha.
Morgan Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 16:33   #9

How about this:

Stainless Steel Tank - eBay, Other Accessories, Boat Parts, Accessories, Cars, Bikes, Boats. (end time 24-Dec-07 11:34:47 AEDST)
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 18:20   #10

Hey thanks a lot! That's pretty much exactly what I'm looking for. I was hoping for something bronze, but that size stainless tank will work great.

I can use one as an inlet, one as an outlet, and the other for venting. Might just go put a bid on that one.
Old 22-12-2007, 01:36   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Drag racers have small oval / footbal shaped tanks. Maybe something like that or a remote (dry sump) oil tank.

This ones from Mooneyes (google)

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2008, 22:37   #12

Okay, I think I found the one that might work for me (I lost the bid on the other, sadly). It's 5 gallons, aluminum, and measures out to be 10" x 16", which seems might small for 5 gallons, so maybe a little less than that.

eBay Motors: New 5 Gallon Aluminum Gas Tank Rod Moon Style (item 310011228871 end time Jan-04-08 18:55:58 PST)

Two questions:

a) Aluminum is fine for diesel, right?
b) The only fittings are a pressure cap up top, and a 1/4" at the bottom. Which is good, sort of. I can make a T from the bottom. One side goes into the heater, and the other to a bulb which goes into the primary tank. I guess I just need to tap the tank as I'm filling it to make sure it doesn't get too high.

When they say "pressure cap", am I looking at having a waft of diesel smells? Also, do you think that "pressure cap" is really just a loose cap, and if I heel enough, diesel will leak out of it? I couldn't imagine that it would allow gasoline vapors to escape through it, but at the same time it has to be a somewhat open gasket?
Old 02-01-2008, 22:42   #13

Also:

I can make sure I don't overfill by tapping the tank or even installing a little guage, that might be more than handy. Says it takes take depths from 4"-24", which this is right in the middle of.

Fuel Sender -Universal
Old 03-01-2008, 04:53   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
The pressure cap is so if the pressure builds the spring loaded inner cap will release the pressure. In your case I doubt it will ever happen. It should make a tight seal though.

You do need a vent so as the fuel goes down the air goes in. Install something like in your main engine fuel tank. Small tank or little tank they both need a vent. I would toss the powder coated brackets they look trashy and will rust quickly.

You might want to check the numbers here as this setup is costing more than a really nice regulated 12 volt fuel pump. The sending unit needs a display and wires, the vent, plus now how do you fill the tank without spilling it all over - Deck fill!
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 08:53   #15

Boat: Westsail - CC - 42
Rebel, Try looking at this site: Boyd Welding Services May be my answer too as we're looking for a gravity tank for our heater.

Fair Winds
dkall is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gravity-out