Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2019, 21:00   #1

Give me a bilge pump that won't rust

I'm currently running a Johnson 270 GPH bilge pump, it pumps just fine but the body is rusting both on the motor and the pump side. I'm not too confident in it's longevity so I'm looking to replace it or at least get a spare lined up.

A Whale 320 and Jabsco 50890 have both been recommended to me, but I don't want to wind up in the same situation I'm in now. They both seem to have the same body construction as my current pump.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2019, 23:52   #2

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)
Re: Give me a bilge pump that won't rust

Whale 220 and 320 are both diaphram pumps, meaning you can install them out of the bilge, and well above any bilge water level, hmmm, the sensor need to be down below. Just run the suction hose from the pump to the lowest part in the bilge. That hose does not have to be big in diameter, as the capacity of these pumps are relatively small. These pumps suck the bilge to near-dry, something a centrifugal pump will never do.
https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/pr...yID=Gulper-320
There are other brands of diaphram pumps ie Johnson, Viking.

A second pump can then be mounted higher; maybe select a high volume centrifugal one (with a large diameter hose). And if nothing goes wrong, this 2nd pump and water sensor/float-switch will never see any water. So it pays to test the sensor/float switch once a month!

Claiming bias here: this kind of setup have served me well over 20 years on 2 boats, never had a bilgepump or sensor fail..... sofar. Ooops, had a sensor on a Whale 220 gulper fail once, I thought...... it was a faulty connection. Not on the bilge unit but the one on the shower sump.
Old 20-05-2019, 05:46   #3

Re: Give me a bilge pump that won't rust

Hank, I should clarify that what you describe is the exact set up I have now. The diaphragm pump is a Johnson and sits well above the bilge. Not sure why its rusting as it does not leak, perhaps it saw some rougher task with the previous owner?
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bilge, bilge pump, pump