Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-03-2016, 14:27   #1

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54
Gas Solenoid Position

Every since I bought my boat, I have had chronic gas solenoid failures. They typically last about 18 months. This is very frustrating, because the ones I use -- Gas Solenoid Valves - VAL-12/24V-PS -- cost about $200.

It's failed again ; as if I didn't have enough things on the List.

So in my frustration I decided to find something cheaper, and ran across these:

https://www.dungs.com/fileadmin/medi...pdf?1290005100

Which only cost 20 pounds, and are made in Germany, and certified in all kinds of ways.

Then I noticed the operating pressure, only 500mB. My solenoid is mounted BEFORE the regulator, so deals with the full pressure of the bottle. I don't know how much that it, but it must be a couple of bar at least.

Then I looked at the specs for my old Nereus ones: http://www.nereusalarms.co.uk/VAL-12...ion_Manual.pdf

It's only rated to 700mB!! And the manual says that it must be mounted on the low pressure side!

So much for the professional gas fitter who fitted the first one back in 2009, who replaced the first one under warranty, who inspected my system and gave me gas certificates year after year .

So they haven't been failing because they're carp; they've been failing because they are being required to deal with pressure out of their specs.

So now on top of everything else I have to do, I have to reconfigure my gas system to put the solenoid on the low pressure side.

Bah.

I wonder if I can find a clip on regulator like the one I have on my Finnish gas bottle? This eliminates a hose and two connectors; surely a worthwhile simplification.

I am posting this in case anyone else is wondering why his solenoids keep failing
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016, 14:45   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Herreshoff Caribbean 50
Re: Gas Solenoid Position

Maybe your gas fitter should certify himself !!! I bought a gas valve from ebay (china) the spec was good so I opened it to see what it was like. It was full of brass bits from machining it! After I cleaned it up I calculated it was no good for the high pressure side 100-200psi so I put it after the reg and its been fine since.
Old 11-03-2016, 06:13   #3

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Hey Dockhead .

I have a few of these , bought backups but have never needed to change one as yet .

AFC, Inc. - Advanced Fuel Components Incorporated Offering Quality Filters and Solenoid Valves

I just replaced my regulator with a Fisher two stage model.

ftp://ftp.emersonprocess.com/RegDVD/...450176T012.pdf

The one I took out was a Fisher single stage , it was working just fine but was mounted with the vent hole pointing up . Bad idea ! I had the two stage new in a box so put it in.

The solenoid is on the lowside and works with no trouble . I did give it a thought to move it to the pressure side but my locker is well vented overboard if there is ever a chance the regulator leaks . The old regulator held up all these years so i don't worry to much about it .

Regards
ColdEH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:35   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Helsinki (Summer); Cruising the Baltic Sea this year!
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

Quote:
Originally Posted by typhoon View Post
Hey Dockhead .

I have a few of these , bought backups but have never needed to change one as yet .

AFC, Inc. - Advanced Fuel Components Incorporated Offering Quality Filters and Solenoid Valves

I just replaced my regulator with a Fisher two stage model.

ftp://ftp.emersonprocess.com/RegDVD/...450176T012.pdf

The one I took out was a Fisher single stage , it was working just fine but was mounted with the vent hole pointing up . Bad idea ! I had the two stage new in a box so put it in.

The solenoid is on the lowside and works with no trouble . I did give it a thought to move it to the pressure side but my locker is well vented overboard if there is ever a chance the regulator leaks . The old regulator held up all these years so i don't worry to much about it .

Regards
$24, wow! And it's rated for 20 bars. I guess I could use that on the high pressure side.

Anybody know how much pressure is on the high pressure side of a butane bottle? Surely not 20 bars?
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:45   #5

Boat: Outremer 50S

Butane/propane pressure in the bottle is very temperature dependent.

Butane:

25C = 2 bar
50C = 4 bar (and hopefully it is never that warm in your butane locker)

Propane:
25C = 8.5 bar
40C = 14 bar

Dsanduril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

It depends on temp of course. I think propane and Butane are similar, here is a propane chart
HC-290 (PROPANE) PRESSURE - TEMPERATURE CHART
But 20 Bar ought to be very conservative, I doubt you would get that high.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 09:49   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

You know, it says four min between your post and mine, but I never saw yours?
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 11:26   #8

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Solenoids are yet another area where boat owners get seriously screwed...but $200 for a solenoid is the highest Ive seen...wow.

Easy solution, dont buy from the marine marketplace. There is absolutley nothing "marine" about any commonly sold solenoids. They all corrode and fail.

RV or other markets are radically cheaper for the equivalent product.

I mounted mine, and the regulator, in a weather resistant plastic electrical junction box. This significantly increased their life span.

And at ~$25 a pop you can afford a spare or two.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 23:10   #9

Boat: Island Packet 40

The best service I have had from a gas solenoid was with one I bought from an auto petrol to gas conversion service. It cost $50 and was rated for the high pressure side. It lasted 25 years and none of the ones I have used since have done as well.
RaymondR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2016, 23:14   #10
cruiser

We haven't cooked using gas for over four years. Many fewer headaches using a Nuwave electric stove, Nuwave infrared oven and microwave oven.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote