Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 19:54   #16

Boat: Bristol (Alden) 35 Sloop "Zephyr"
Re: Galley Sink Fills With Water

You just need one of those things. Not sure what it's called, but my boat had one.
One nite going to sleep in the V berth, next to the head, the boat was rocking, and I kept hearing a sort of click sound, in time with the boats rocking.
I traced it to a bronze piece of tubing, spliced into the sink drain. Inside it was a plastic ball, that, when water came up the hose from the seacock, the ball would rise, onto a seat, and stop water flow. When the ball dropped, it was stopped by a cross of bronze in the tubing.
Interesting device.
over40pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 01:50   #17

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

If you do end up using a bucket to wash dishes make sure there is no silverware in the bucket before you empty it.
Don't ask.....
Old 08-08-2015, 02:08   #18

Boat: Bieroc 36 foot Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpeer View Post
FWIW it bothers me to have a seacock in an inaccessible place.

A while ago there was a boat lost after a roll because they were sitting low and sinking through the sink drain. The owner had wacked his head in the roll and was out of commission. The crew could not find the seacock.

They sat in the cockpit and drank scotch while the boat sank. Luckily they were picked up by a fishing boat.
Yes, that's what I thought. If your going to remodel soon make it a priority to be able to access ALL seacocks at any time. For safety you should have a wooden plug tied close buy or rubber ones now days. And you should be closing them whenever your boat is left unattended. It sounds like you leave yours open?
Rustic Charm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:01   #19

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

One way to overcome the issue of drains close or below the waterline (when heeled) and hard access seacocks is collect drains into a midship sump and pump it out throw transom or any other easily accessible place..
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 03:15   #20

Contrary to what's been said, it is normal and very common. As long as the water is not sloshing out don't worry. We have the same issue with the head basin as well as the galley sink. I don't know any one who opens and closes their valves when on passage. If it is an issue in heavy weather just shut them but make sure everyone knows how to work them or you will be woken off watch by the sink won't drain and there is S%=t everywhere.

Sent from my GT-N7105T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app

Bavaria 50 Cruiser
SimonV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:20   #21

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonV View Post
Contrary to what's been said, it is normal and very common. As long as the water is not sloshing out don't worry. We have the same issue with the head basin as well as the galley sink. I don't know any one who opens and closes their valves when on passage.
Being common doesn't make it a good practice, incompetent IMO.. One of the many things that show true seamanship is not to tolerate a such minor thing to cause a possible disaster. It also shows how little respect some boat builders give to their customers :-(
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:34   #22

Boat: Tartan 40

Easy- get a ball valve and attach hose barbs to it. Put it inline in the hose under your sink wherever is convenient than shut off manually. You still have the seacock for emergency shut off, but for what you're describing this should work.

Or use a flapper type check valve but likely it will get clogged eventually.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 05:42   #23
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Woods Vardo 34 Cat

Another option is to try and remove excess gear to lighten the boat and raise the waterline/lower the level of water in the sink.

When we sold out 35' mono in Brisbane we raised the waterline over 6" and she was still sell outfitted for the new owner.

It really is shocking how much crap gets carried that is never used. Its a way of life now cruising on a 34' cat. Once met a guy cruising on a 26' Pearson that would throw or give away anything he hadn't used onboard for one year. Of course that might not apply to some important spares for pumps, engine, etc. But really is am pretty good rule.
Old 08-08-2015, 06:02   #24

Boat: Whitby 42

You could put a T above the seacock with a man or electric pump plumbed to an open drain. With the seacock closed you could pump the sink down.
mikeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:34   #25

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Our sinks don't fill, but they make an odd gurgling noise as the drain dips momentarily below the waterline when on a starboard tack. I put a pushrod (small timber dowel) on the seacock and now I can close the seacock, mainly to shut it up. Still have the odd moment when I pull the plug on one sink and the water starts to fill the other sink.

Then I remember to pull the rod to open the seacock.

Pushrod might solve your problem. I like simple solutions, not a lot to go wrong with the setup, I would worry that a one way valve on a sink outlet could easily stop working with the crud that tends to find its way into the drain pipe. I can still reach the seacock itself by opening the drawer under the sink, but it is fiddly.

Matt
Old 08-08-2015, 07:46   #26

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'

Sailed my Crealock 37, had the same problem when loaded for cruising. The deep sink put the static water level just below the sink. We made sure we closed the seacock before saiing. It is just the lines of the boat from a great nautical architect. All is a compromise, but a good compromise. It did get better as the food and beer was consumed
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 07:56   #27

Boat: 45' Plywood Ketch, Homebuilt

Had similar problem and resolved it by mounting a plastic clamshell vent with the opening facing aft over the thru hull. In a second similar situation, I added a rubber flapper to cover the outlet of the clamshell to further reduce the possibility of any back-flow. After having salt water come up my exhaust pipe, in addition to installing a higher riser in the system, I also mounted a rubber flapper made by Vetus that covers my exhaust. All these corrections worked in different sea conditions and unintentional rail under angles of heel.
SVJennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:13   #28

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

My sink drains are well above the waterline.
Old 08-08-2015, 08:22   #29

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

Hello, if this occurs only when you are sailing, you can modify the outlet. The next time you haulout, put a a half cone over the trough hull (point to bow and open to stern. When the boat is moving forward it will create a depression in the tube. But it's also a good think to make the seacock easy accessible and to close it and open it only when needed.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2015, 08:34   #30
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

When we rebuilt the boat, we replumbed the galley sink to get rid of the (hard to reach to turn off) below waterline thru-hull. We put in a maceration pump, a vented loop, etc, routed to a different easy-to-reach one that also has other drains going to it. Sure, one must turn on the sink drain pump when ever one uses the sink. Peace of mind is worth it for us.

Tags
galley, water