Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-01-2016, 13:16   #1

Boat: Tayana Mariner 36
Fuel tank vent location

Thinking about rerouting my fuel tank vent as the num-nut who installed it made it twice as long as necessary, many bends, partial kinks, and possible low points.

Does anyone have any good reason why I shouldn't vent to the cockpit well? It would provide a straighter shorter inclined run from the tank. The downside it that it would be about 1' lower than where it currently terminates off the cabin side midships, and in theory could ingest water if the cockpit well was inundated with water, but I think that likeliness is the the same or less than its current location. And of course there would be a clamshell cover to keep most water out.

I believe many boats have a vent on the inbord side of the cockpit gunwale, this would be the same principle, just several inches lower in the well portion.

Please comment only on thoughts about this location. I know the ideal location, but it presents plumbing difficulties.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
bauer965 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 16:45   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Fuel tank vent location

Usually the vent is as high as possible to protect the fuel supply from unknown future submergence risks. As a commercial fisherman, I survived a 90° roll and another nearly that big on a warship. A minute before either roll, I wouldn't have predicted a large roll. The point being, the ocean is hard to predict. While you may be a cautious sailor, some future owner may not be. There could be liability.
As far as the current routing, only vented fuel tank air or air replacing fuel should ever be in the vent tubing. Bends and low spots shouldn't matter. There should be a loop above the vent fitting so any water entering has to drain out the fitting.
I have a power boat now, but in my youth did a lot of sailing. Including racing and crewing on a fishing schooner. Water in the cockpit was common.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fuel, fuel tank