Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2013, 09:10   #1

Boat: BR, PCF 40, 40', 2011
Fuel is leaking from tank ventilation tubes

Hi all;

I have motorsailer and when my tanks are full and the boat is heeling on either of the sides; fuel is leaking from ventilation tubes of the fuel tanks. Is there a practical way to eliminate that? I plan to install a simple valve and close the ventilation tubes while sailing but it doesnt sound propoer to me. I also dont prefer to make tubes longer.
Berke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:25   #2

Re: Fuel is leaking from tank ventilation tubes

You mean leaking into the boat or into the water? If you close the valves you will develop a vacuum and the engine will quit.... if running. You could try looping the vent tube up above the vent fitting.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:28   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

vent your starboard tank out to port and your port tank out to starboard if possible. this will guarantee your tank vents will be higher than your tanks when sailing.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
vent your starboard tank out to port and your port tank out to starboard if possible. this will guarantee your tank vents will be higher than your tanks when sailing.
+1... Such a smart monkey!!!

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:32   #5

Boat: Steel trawler 63' Eileen Farrell

Your tanks should not be filled to the top, leave at least 10% empty. When you are under power, make sure the fuel return line goes to either both tanks or the tank you are drawing from, or you will flood the other tank.
For now, put some of your fuel in cans until you need it.
lorenzo b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:33   #6

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheechako View Post
You mean leaking into the boat or into the water? If you close the valves you will develop a vacuum and the engine will quit.... if running. You could try looping the vent tube up above the vent fitting.
Agreed!
A loop too is also good for keeping out water, especially when washing down the boat with a hose. But also your vent fitting should as high as possible. On ships they run a stand pipe, with a loop at the top, up on deck. One could do the same by installing a deck fitting and run a looped hose up a stanchion, or ?
Old 02-04-2013, 09:44   #7

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
Yeah, if the vent fitting is on the outboard side of the tanks. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any difference.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:46   #8

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Agreed!
A loop too is also good for keeping out water, especially when washing down the boat with a hose. But also your vent fitting should as high as possible. On ships they run a stand pipe, with a loop at the top, up on deck. One could do the same by installing a deck fitting and run a looped hose up a stanchion, or ?
Fuel vent is just above the upper starboard door hinge. One vent for both Port and Starboard tanks. Works good.

Steve
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2013 Feb 132.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	413.9 KB
ID:	58449  
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 09:51   #9

Boat: Valiant 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by delmarrey View Post
Yeah, if the vent fitting is on the outboard side of the tanks. Otherwise, it wouldn't make any difference.
I don't understand this comment. Vent fittings should be on top of the tank, not on the side. What manufacturer puts vent fittings into the sides of fuel tanks?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 01:00   #10

Fuel is leaking on the deck, ventilation tubes are as high as the bulwarks. so making them longer will look quite ugly. opposite side ventilation idea by Sailmonkey is quite interesting. that might work as I have a lot space in the engine room where tanks are located so extra piping may work, though they need to go above engine which may create some heating issues for those plastic tubes.
do you know if any valve that may let air into the tanks but not letting fuel go out?
I have two tanks and they are connected, one idea I have is to close their link when the tanks are full, so to lessen the pressure coming from opposite side tank to the heeling side. but this will also require a lot manual job.
Old 03-04-2013, 03:04   #11

Boat: Valiant 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berke View Post
Fuel is leaking on the deck, ventilation tubes are as high as the bulwarks. so making them longer will look quite ugly. opposite side ventilation idea by Sailmonkey is quite interesting. that might work as I have a lot space in the engine room where tanks are located so extra piping may work, though they need to go above engine which may create some heating issues for those plastic tubes.
do you know if any valve that may let air into the tanks but not letting fuel go out?
I have two tanks and they are connected, one idea I have is to close their link when the tanks are full, so to lessen the pressure coming from opposite side tank to the heeling side. but this will also require a lot manual job.
I think that could be your problem. The fuel from the high side tank is forcing it out of the low side tank. Opposite side ventilation will not help this case. It sounds like the previous owner did not understand how diesel tanks work. In dual tank installations there should be valves before the Y connection where the tanks are connected together. Same is true for the fuel return. Then you only open the 2 valves associated with one tank at a time. Then heel should not cause a problem. Plus you can transfer fuel from one tank to the other by opening the opposite return line valve for a short period of time.

Can you insert 4 manual ball valves where the fuel supply and return lines join together?
transmitterdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40   #12

Boat: Custom 41' Steel Pilothouse Cutter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panope View Post
Fuel vent is just above the upper starboard door hinge. One vent for both Port and Starboard tanks. Works good.

Steve

So if you do have a leak, you lubricate the hinges? Genius!

Actually, if you fabricated that companionway yourself, I am very impressed. I am having very little luck finding a local aluminum fabricator and none of the "pros" out your way seem to want the job: too small.

By the way, North Sea trawlers, which do a lot of heeling, sometimes have the tanks vent to a gooseneck fitting high on the sides of their pilothouses.
Can't sail? Read about our travels at https://alchemyonpassage.blogspot.com/. Can't sleep? Read www.alchemy2009.blogspot.com for fast relief. Can't read? Avoid www.volumesofsalt.blogspot.com, because it's just personal reviews of sea books.
S/V Alchemy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:20   #13

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Alchemy View Post
So if you do have a leak, you lubricate the hinges? Genius!

Actually, if you fabricated that companionway yourself, I am very impressed. I am having very little luck finding a local aluminum fabricator and none of the "pros" out your way seem to want the job: too small.

By the way, North Sea trawlers, which do a lot of heeling, sometimes have the tanks vent to a gooseneck fitting high on the sides of their pilothouses.
I had not thought of the self lubricating hinge aspect - so no genius here. If fact, the Port side hinge has the raw water intake loop vent above it - so a leak there "lubricates" the hinge with salt water!

I will take the credit for building the companionway (and everything else above deck).

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 07:31   #14

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berke View Post
This will help

Lifeguard LG100 Fuel/Air Separator - Racor | Fisheries Supply

But you really need to remove the cross connection on the tanks. If you vent out opposite sides, and the tanks are not cross connected you'll probably no longer have a problem. I would build a manifold for fuel supply and return that is accessible from somewhere easy to access.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 12:52   #15

thank you all. i will try to find that seperator in Turkey; though it wouldn't be easy.
There are valves in between tanks and I will try cutting the link when tanks are full.

Tags
fuel