Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-04-2016, 19:52   #1
KJB

Boat: Mason 38 CC Ketch
Frozen Seacock

Hi. I am currently replacing my head with Nature's Head composting toilet. However, the seacock I need to close appears not to have been tinkered with for quite some time. I understand the need to open and close them monthly and grease them. I also readily admit I haven't done that (but am doing that now).

I have tried a heat gun and and all available leveraging tools (being careful not to exert too much pressure) all to no avail.

Does any one have any suggestions concerning:

1) how to open the seacock.
2) how to cap the seacock until haulout (I understand this would require a diver to plug the seacock form the outside).
3) any other suggestions.

I purchased this vessel a little over a year ago and really love her, but dislike all the smelly hoses and the temperamental head setup.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_181648.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	320.4 KB
ID:	123175   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_181700.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	123176  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_181818.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	322.5 KB
ID:	123177   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160426_181809.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	348.8 KB
ID:	123178  

KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 20:08   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Frozen Seacock

Looks very frozen. I dont see any evidence of heat being applied.

Heat alone is often not effective. You often need some lube. Apply it inside the valve from the hose side.

Looks like it might also have a bleed nipple in one of those picks. You might be able to work that out and apply some mouse milk or kroil oil.

Let one of those work its magic for a few days first.

I have fitted shutoff valves upstream on some of our sea cocks that dont get actioned often.

I can backfill them with polypropylene glycol (food grade) and fresh water to avoid having stagnant sea water sitting behind sea cocks.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 20:13   #3

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

On the opposite side of the valve from the photos there should be a nut. Loosen the nut to the end of the threads, tap the nut towards the valve body with a hammer, turn the valve plug, re tighten the nut.

Once that's done, remove the hose and cap the valve.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 20:42   #4
KJB

Hi Sailmonkey. On the other side there is indeed a nut. Very very difficult to get to but I'm going to try that.

Hi LeftBrain. If the above does not work, I really like your idea of an upstream valve. Question: by what process do you backfill? Thanks.
Old 26-04-2016, 21:45   #5

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ellis Flybridge 28

Sailmonkey nailed it. That is a tapered plug seacock. Back the nut off a few threads, tap it until the tapered plug breaks loose. With the seacock in the open position, as t is now, you can install a zerk fitting in one of the drain holes on the side and pump grease in.
Old 06-05-2016, 12:44   #6

Boat: Alberg 30 #196

Oh yeah, and if the boat's in the water, that tapered plug can/will come all the way out so when you knock on it from the nut end, don't let it roll down into the bilge out of reach while you try to stem the flow of water coming out of both sides of the seacock. Don't ask me how I know :-)
Old 06-05-2016, 14:36   #7
KJB

Ok wesgardner actually that is what I'm trying to avoid since the boat is in the water. Turns out there is no room on the other side to knock it out so.im probably placing a valve upstream until haul out.

And I won't ask

Sent from my SM-G920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 15-05-2016, 13:46   #8

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Save this job for a haulout, and do it soon. That seacock is way too far gone for in the water refurbishing or even moving. Also, if I'm seeing what I think I'm seeing, is that a single hose clamp on the top of a bellows reduction in hose size to fit the seacock to the sewage hose? If so, ouch! Replace that with a bronze hose bib of the right size for the new hose, and double clamp anything that can flood the boat.
tkeithlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2016, 12:31   #9
KJB

Thanks tkeithlu. I actually had a diver plug it for now. Will definitely save that for the haul out. For now I everything capped and am installing the composting head. I just have to make a little extra room for it that I did not anticipate. Thanks for the input

Sent from my SM-G920T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 18-05-2016, 05:36   #10

Boat: Creekmore 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJB View Post
For now I everything capped and am installing the composting head. I just have to make a little extra room for it that I did not anticipate.
We found the same thing when we tried to install a Nature's Head. We had had an Air Head for many years but we installed it in another boat we had purchased and then sold so we decided to try a Nature's Head this time. We used the dimensions listed on the site, mocked up a model to be sure it would fit, and were SURE it would be fine, but when it arrived the Nature's Head just would not fit, no matter what we did. In case you can't make it work, just so you know, they will take it back no problem. As long as it hasn't been used. Good luck.
Simply Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote