I've read this very extensive thread due to a problem I have in my system (new thread started yesterday 6-20, or, if you prefer, 20-6), and have two observations.
First is that I built my own box; it's 6" Blue extruded polystyrene (except at the hull
, which is injected, ranging from 4.5 for a very small area to over 13" at the top) covered with epoxy
resin and then fiberglassed, and 3.5/7.0 feet. It has a spillover fan controlled by a thermostat. I calculated my heat load expected with Richard's calculator, and used a single
system as a result. My compressor
is well ventilated but not with a fan, and is in the engine
room (very rarely run the engine). If you want to wade through all the pix to see how we did it, it's in the very beginning of my refit
(gallery link in my sig).
is handled by a D50 and whatever the largest SS clad plate, wrapped/formed to fit three sides of the freezer
, dumped by a keel cooler
which has no zincs and is bonded to house negative; no other thru hulls are bonded; the only zinc I have is at the end of the MaxProp. Controls are SSC and 2 Carel digital thermostats with 2°F hysteresis set at 8 and 32; there are lights and fans in each box controlled by NO/NC switches which turn off the fans and on the lights when the doors are opened.
is top open, reefer is front; both have angled entries with gaskets at top and bottom/in and out, depending on the door.
I'm in extremely deep **** if I have to replace the evap because it won't fit through the door; I'd have to remove the countertop, which would involve some disassembly of the engine
room, where equipment
sits over the long screws from that side holding the top to the bulkhead.
My two observations are:
My keel cooler
looks pretty much like the day I bought it, other than some bang-marks from my wreck very early on. No issues about degradation, and in general, when we used to ground the boat to dive it (it doesn't move or chase you when it's sitting on sand) in the Bahamas
, there was rarely any growth on it. However, that was in mostly barnacle free water
. And, it WILL do an adequate job of cooling
out of the water
, as we've done so as we lived aboard in a couple of significant refits. We don't know if there are barnacles
on it now; if they can stand constant 135°F (the temp of the fitting at the compressor), there are likely some there now.
Second, even in the very earliest of days, I don't think I EVER saw the SSC go dark; it was ALWAYS running. As efficient as we presume this box to be, and as small as it is, according to FI in this thread, it should be running not more than 25% of the time. Never was, and not a chance now...
Currently, the compressor
is running at full blast, non-stop, and pulls well over 100AH a day. I'm having to run the Honda
every other day to replenish our 880AH bank, despite our having lots of solar
and a KISS to help keep it up. (We typically will charge at 200-300AH deficit.) There's very little load otherwise, as we do our recharging of computers
and the like when we run the Honda
. Typical non-Frigo load might be 2-3A, tops, mostly our WiFi
system which we leave running for the courtesy of neighbors who can't see the distance we can (we leave our router open and invite folks to come see us).
My new thread addresses my current
problems, so I won't get into it here, other than to say that I expected a bit of degradation in performance as we moved (just recently) from relatively cool water and air to the gold standard of more than 86 water and 90 days. Failure is closer to the truth.
So, NO - I've never experienced anything remotely like the performance claimed, on a twice-as-large box, with an unknown level of insulation
, but the KC has amply demonstrated that it works well for us, and has no problem despite no zinc.
Skip, currently lying St. Marys GA