Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Plumbing Systems and Fixtures
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2014, 17:39   #16
Marine Service Provider

Re: Frigoboat K50/Danfoss BD50 fridge problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputnikus View Post
Hi Richard,

In order to get good frost coverage (80%) the high pressure goes up to and slightly above 200. This is required to get the low at barely 6 in 20 minutes.

We will try the vacuuming and leak detection, but I am not hopeful given your previous comments re: very high/low low simultaneous pressures.

Thanks again....
You are still confirming that there is a restriction and adding refrigerant only increases damaging compressor heat is my theory. Once the condition increases to a point where it can not be corrected complete system may be destroyed. Frigoboat US is trying to correct what I believe are design errors by flushing capillary tube and installing missing filter dryer needed to prevent material from interring cap tube. They are also I believe, recommending of an add on air cooled condenser in series with keel cooler to provide adequate compressor cooling in warm seawater.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2014, 11:37   #17

Location: Currently on the boat, somewhere on the ocean, living the dream
Boat: Morgan 461 S/Y Flying Pig
Send a message via Skype™ to skipgundlach
Re: Frigoboat K50/Danfoss BD50 fridge problem

Your situation very closely mirrors my history with FB.

It took over 4 months of working directly with Rob ("FrigoboatInfo on this forum) to finally surrender to a technician. In the meantime, it deteriorated steadily. You can read my stories in this forum as well as to see the result of changing it out. Rob was as responsive and helpful as could be possibly expected; I have no complaints whatsoever in that regard.

You have my sympathies. If it were practical (it's not/wasn't on our boat), my best move would have been to start over, but with air and keel cooler, in-line filter and filter-drier, and ducted removal (as I have now, but with a SeaFrost totally enclosed unit) of heat by having built a case forcing all the cool air past the compressor on the way to the condenser, cooling it as much as possible.

I can't comment on other systems, as the jury's not out on mine, but, water around a condenser tube is a level of complexity and potential for catastrophic mischief of which I was never fond, as well as, you'd see in another thread of mine, a breeding ground for barnacles and other tiny critters (when they START) which can impede water flow.

YMMV about that if you move away from a keel cooler, but my air-only system simply can't keep up with what my FB used to handle with a sneer, at about half or less the amps; I'm forced to use the water, which needs constant minding.

Sorry to steal your thread, but BTDT and not encouraged...

L8R

Skip
Morgan 461 #2 SV Flying Pig, KI4MPC
See our galleries at www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery!
skipgundlach is offline   Reply With Quote