Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2017, 06:59   #1

Boat: Island Packet 370
Frigoboat freezer

We are having problems with our frigoboat keel cooled freezer. I have searched and read the other threads on this subject but found nothing that seemed to fit our problem.

The compressor is running continuously and not reaching the 14.5 F set point. For about two weeks has hovered around 16 F now climbing to near 26F..
The evaporator has about 1/8 to 1/4 inch of frost all over it . There is no frost on line leading back to the compressor. The Frigoboat system has never been serviced.

I do not believe defrosting will help at this time as unit was not reaching set point right after last defrost.From what have read a fully frosted evaporator and still not reaching set point means inadequate cooling capacity for the load. The boat is a 2008 Island Packet 370 the freezer is a top loading unit. The door appears to seal well.I am doubting that we out of cooling capacity because at different times unit runs and cycles as expected.

Any help would be greatly appreciated , as we are in Exuma Bahamas with a freezer full of meat!

Thanks in advance for any help!
Sea Lyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:11   #2
cruiser

Re: Frigoboat freezer

You are low on coolant, probably the result of a leaky 50 cent "O" ring. The unit will need to be serviced by a competent refrigerator tech who can repressurize the coolant to the proper specification. Do not allow it to run continuously for long, the compressor will eventually self destruct.

This is not a do-it-yourself project.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 07:29   #3

Kenomac thanks for quick reply. Low refrigerant sounds very reasonable. I had considered it, the fridgoboat trouble shooting guide says that with evaporator fully covered in frost refregerent level is ok. But I don't really have a idea what else could cause it.

Has any one had any experience with refrigeration guys at George Town Bahmmas?
Old 29-01-2017, 09:50   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5
Frigoboat freezer

Be careful with whoever you choose to service your system or you may be replacing it . It is crucial to have a very clean space when replacing your O rings . Any dirt that may get in may plug the system and cause more trouble . Also the o rings used by frigo boat are a special size and may need to be ordered from a dealer . Make sure the techs you decide to use have had experience with your system . The charge volume is absolutely critical to its efficient operation . These keel cooled the systems are not new to this kind of failure so you should have no trouble finding some one familiar with frigo boat .

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:21   #5

Boat: CheoyLee Offshore 33
Send a message via Skype™ to masonc

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdEh Marine View Post
These keel cooled the systems are not new to this kind of failure
What can you tell us about keel cooler failures? I have problems with my keel cooler, the compressor doesn't always start when the unit has been powered down for a while. I have been told it was oil in the keep cooler.
It always gets going after a while but I suspect it will fail eventually.
masonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2017, 10:39   #6

Quote:
Be careful with whoever you choose to service your system or you may be replacing it . It is crucial to have a very clean space when replacing your O rings . Any dirt that may get in may plug the system and cause more trouble . Also the o rings used by frigo boat are a special size and may need to be ordered from a dealer . Make sure the techs you decide to use have had experience with your system . The charge volume is absolutely critical to its efficient operation . These keel cooled the systems are not new to this kind of failure so you should have no trouble finding some one familiar with frigo boat .

Regards John Tully
Thanks John I am afraid you are right. We have two separate boxes and systems. We switched refregerator and freezer around. Hopefully the compromised box will function as a refregerator till we get to a qualified tech.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:41   #7
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by masonc View Post
What can you tell us about keel cooler failures? I have problems with my keel cooler, the compressor doesn't always start when the unit has been powered down for a while. I have been told it was oil in the keep cooler.
It always gets going after a while but I suspect it will fail eventually.

Hi Masonc

Do you have a fault light led hooked up on the "+" and "D" terminals on the controller ?
How old is the system ?
Have you ever had anyone service it ?

Regards John Tully
Old 29-01-2017, 10:48   #8

Quote:
Hi Masonc

Do you have a fault light led hooked up on the "+" and "D" terminals on the controller ?
How old is the system ?
Have you ever had anyone service it ?

Regards John Tully
There is a fault light in the thermostat. It blinks 3 times.
I don't believe it had been serviced, the boat is new to me. The system was installed about 8 years ago.
I will be doing the next service. I'm considering removing the keel cooler and inverting it for a while then blowing air through it from my large compressor. I'd like to replace the connections with flare nuts before I vacuum and recharge.
Old 29-01-2017, 10:48   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sea Lyon View Post
Thanks John I am afraid you are right. We have two separate boxes and systems. We switched refregerator and freezer around. Hopefully the compromised box will function as a refregerator till we get to a qualified tech.

You are probably better of to wait till you can get a tech that is familiar with your FrigoBoat. Finding out you choose the wrong chap could cost you a lot of grief, not to mention money as well .

Sorry to hear about your troubles , this really is the last thing you want to happen when you are cruising. I hope you didn't loose to much of your stores.

Regards John Tully
Old 29-01-2017, 10:53   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
There is a fault light in the thermostat. It blinks 3 times.
I don't believe it had been serviced, the boat is new to me. The system was installed about 8 years ago.
I will be doing the next service. I'm considering removing the keel cooler and inverting it for a while then blowing air through it from my large compressor. I'd like to replace the connections with flare nuts before I vacuum and recharge.

Good , the 3 flash is indication to an overload . You may well have oil slugging in the keel cooler. All installations are different as well the location of the cooler . Once the system is running do you get a fully frosted plate ?

Regards John Tully
Old 29-01-2017, 10:58   #11

Quote:
. Once the system is running do you get a fully frosted plate ?

Regards John Tully
We get at least a partial frost. The evaporator has fallen down inside the box, so we're looking for a good way to fix that, access is very difficult. One that it addressed I will know more. But the fridge keeps good cod and ice doesn't melt for days ago it is working at least fairly well. There's an SSR speed controller as well. I have ordered an electronic temperature gauge from eBay.
Old 29-01-2017, 12:20   #12
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
We get at least a partial frost. The evaporator has fallen down inside the box, so we're looking for a good way to fix that, access is very difficult. One that it addressed I will know more. But the fridge keeps good cod and ice doesn't melt for days ago it is working at least fairly well. There's an SSR speed controller as well. I have ordered an electronic temperature gauge from eBay.

Remember not to control your compressor with a box temperature thermostat , you may over power the plate and have liquid refrigerant return to the compressor .

Sounds like you have plenty of insulation , have you tried removing the speed controller and starting the system with out it ?

Regards John Tully
Old 29-01-2017, 12:38   #13

Quote:
Remember not to control your compressor with a box temperature thermostat
So what would i use to control it
Old 29-01-2017, 12:48   #14
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
So what would i use to control it

One of these, even the electronic one controls the compressor using evaporator temperature.

https://www.coastalclimatecontrol.co...ould_i_use.pdf

I use a digital thermostat that controls the compressor with box temperature , so the system does not cycle to reach a set temperature, but I use a completely different way of controlling refrigerant flow then FrigoBoat and there is no way to overpower the plate.

Regards John Tully
Old 29-01-2017, 12:54   #15

I have a box thermostat. Are you saying i can't use it?

Tags
boat, freezer