Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-08-2016, 06:46   #1

Frig using too much power

I am concerned my Dometic Coolmatic CR 1110 is running too much and running down the batteries. I tested it yesterday and here are the results:
1. The outside temp was 88 degrees
2. The frig was relatively full
3. The door was not opened during the test
4. The test ran for 3 hours
5. Frig temps were, freezer 12 degrees, frig 43 degrees
6. Results: The compressor ran 69% of the time.
7. The specifications for the Frig say: Power use 2.5 amps at 90 degrees, Freezer 0 degrees and frig 41 degrees. (When the compressor runs constantly it uses 5.9 amps which means it should run 42 percent of the time at 2.5 amps)
What are others results? (Are the specifications for the Frig way to optimistic?)
johnr9q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:30   #2

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 430
Re: Frig using too much power

how long had your food n drink stuff been in the fridge before you started the test?
If you just arrived from the supermarket and filled the fridge, it might take 24 hours until your fridge can cool everything (pull down) and achieve equilibrium, , and the high ambient temo does not help either.
ErikFinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:37   #3
cruiser

Another thought, does your's use a keel cooler? If so, when was the last time the marine growth was removed from the outside plate?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:49   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Is the evacuation of the hot air (air cooled fridge) free? Improve the circulation?

Envoyé de mon iPad à l'aide de Cruisers Sailing Forum
sailormed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 07:58   #5

Boat: previous - Whitby 42 new - Goldenwave 44

You really can't do a test just after putting warm(er) food in to the box and get any meaningful numbers. You have to get the food (or whatever) down to temp and then see how much power it takes to keep it to your setpoints. 12 degrees is not a low enough temp for frozen food beyond more than a couple of weeks. 43 degrees is on the high side for the refrigerator part as well.
exMaggieDrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 08:53   #6

Boat: Currently in between

Doors closed for 3 hours? I guess the beer was in a cockpit cooler..
Old 27-08-2016, 09:46   #7

Boat: Pearson 530

What was the temp on the deck, could it have been well over the 88 degree temps? Do you have a way to lower the thermostat? Is it close to the hull or more amidships? If you have an evaporator plate, does it have frost on 90 percent of the plate?

All U Get
Old 27-08-2016, 10:15   #8
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnr9q View Post
I am concerned my Dometic Coolmatic CR 1110 is running too much and running down the batteries. I tested it yesterday and here are the results:
7. The specifications for the Frig say: Power use 2.5 amps at 90 degrees, Freezer 0 degrees and frig 41 degrees. (When the compressor runs constantly it uses 5.9 amps which means it should run 42 percent of the time at 2.5 amps)
What are others results? (Are the specifications for the Frig way to optimistic?)

I think your fridge is running fine.
88f outside is very hot. The air next to the air intake will probably be hotter. So you have been asking for it to cool down 76 deg F by only working 69% of the time. Mate, you are on a winner!!

I wrote a recent post suggesting freezer temps do not need to be that low unless you have ice cream. If its just meat and water based foods 20F will keep that food fine for months. Thats -7C

So if you wish to save more eat ice creams only onshore

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:03   #9

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Bacchus View Post
Doors closed for 3 hours? I guess the beer was in a cockpit cooler..
That would be my approach.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 11:10   #10

Boat: None,build the one shown of glass, had many from 6' to 48'.

Quote:
I don't think you have a problem. I just checked my home reefer 6 and 36 in air conditioning.
Cadence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:18   #11
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II

Quote:
Sounds about right. Things you can do to reduce frig a-hrs. Keep sunlight off the unit and the deck and hull around the unit. Keep the boat well ventilated. Keep the compressor area well ventilated. Put pre-chilled or frozen food in it. Keep it full (with pre-chilled bottled water if need be. Open it as infrequently and for as short duration as possible. Ensure the gasket seals well. Add extra insulation around it (especially hull side of dark colours boats.) Turn the thermost up to the highest acceptable temp). Don't put stuff in that doesn't need to be (or is worse off) refrigerated.

Expect that fridge to draw 50 a-hrs per day. Ensure your usable battery capacity (30 % for standard lead acid charged with an alternator) will supply this and all other usual for 2 days. Expect to have to recharge at least 120 a-hrs per day.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 14:31   #12

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

johnr9q,

First, welcome to CF.

This is only a comment, not data. One of the most common problems folks get when they first start living aboard and cruising is that their fridges run longer than they anticipated. When we started cruising, it was usually due to poor insulation of the fridges, rather than any malfunction. Sometimes, the cause was that the system was low on refrigerant. In those days, some of the modern insulations were purely not available, but are now, so there are ways, if you are handy, to improve your situation. It will help if you can get an accurate "map" of a couple of days running cycles.

Ann
Old 27-08-2016, 15:13   #13
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1978 Hudson Force 50 Ketch

[QUOTE=MarkJI wrote a recent post suggesting freezer temps do not need to be that low unless you have ice cream. If its just meat and water based foods 20F will keep that food fine for months. Thats -7C[/QUOTE]

That is a great point Mark...care to post a link to that post because you can save quite a bit of power in going from a 0-5-deg F freezer up to the mid to high teens and honestly unless you want steak storage for over 6months...you don't notice a "food quality" issue of your frozen meats. At least I cant.

But I think the OP (Original Poster) doesn't have much of a real issue if he is cycling on 69% of the time...welcome to the world of liveaboard cruising where your batteries are always low.
SV THIRD DAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-08-2016, 15:30   #14
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I keep my refrigerator colder, but to me the OP numbers don't indicate a problem
Old 27-08-2016, 15:33   #15

Boat: Nestor Volker 38' One Off Pilot House wood/glass fiber veneer

Another thing I noticed, is that your refrigerator temp is lower than factory pattern, but freezer don't. So the blower (fan) maybe works more Than usual, and spends some amps too. Some trimming between fridge and freezer temps. Might be necessary.
Good luck!
carlo de leo is offline   Reply With Quote