Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 23:19   #1

Fridge Won't Cycle On and Off

Hi, I'm looking for some help with my frigomatic refridgerator on my boat. It's probably about 20 years old but works great! Other than the fact that it doesn't cycle it's eating up all my energy! The thermostat does not turn. The fridge stays very cold and I need to defrost it regularly. I was wondering if I can replace the thermostat with any brand of thermostats or does it need to be specifically made by frigomatic. And does the thermostat control the cycling of the fridge directly? Is there any other way to fix the issue without having to buy a new fridge? An external thermostat hooked directly into the power supply of the fridge? Any and all info into this matter would be greatly appreciated.
keao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 23:28   #2

Re: Fridge won't cycle on and off

Forgot to mention the fridge has run this way since I've bought the boat.
Old 07-12-2011, 02:59   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by keao
Hi, I'm looking for some help with my frigomatic refridgerator on my boat. It's probably about 20 years old but works great! Other than the fact that it doesn't cycle it's eating up all my energy! The thermostat does not turn. The fridge stays very cold and I need to defrost it regularly. I was wondering if I can replace the thermostat with any brand of thermostats or does it need to be specifically made by frigomatic. And does the thermostat control the cycling of the fridge directly? Is there any other way to fix the issue without having to buy a new fridge? An external thermostat hooked directly into the power supply of the fridge? Any and all info into this matter would be greatly appreciated.
If You need to defrost, i.e. melt accumulated ice, it sounds like the fridge isnt sealing. Not saying it isnt the thermostat but i would do something like seal the door shut and wait a day to see if it cycles. Just thinking out loud here...
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:23   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Fridge won't cycle on and off

You need a new Thermostat....
Like the ones on the gas ovens it controls things with a gate valve/switch... usually mercury operated... they freeze open or shut... all or nothing.
Makers thermostat only would fit I imagine... don't think its that hard...
Just undo a screw or two... coupla connections to dis/re connect... the old frig's had the thermostats easy to get at...

It was a dark and stormy night and the captain of the ship said.. "Hey Jim, spin us a yarn." and the yarn began like this.. "It was a dark and stormy night.."
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 06:57   #5
Marine Service Provider

If refrigeration unit is function correctly and compressor runs all the time temperatures in refrigerator section must be below freezing causing liquids and other items to freeze.
Turn thermostat to off position to see if compressor will then stop. If compressor stops check to see if its small temperature sensing tube is correctly attached to evaporator and it is not kinked or broken. If it does not stop disconnect one of the wires connected to thermostat if it still does not stop replace thermostats wiring. If thermostat will not stop compressor when box reaches your desired operating temperature replace it. Rparts.com has refrigerator evaporator temperature control thermostats.

If items do not freeze in refrigerator area with compressor running all the time:
1.The insulation has failed do to age it now contains heat conducting moisture.
2. Refrigeration unit or insulation was never adequate or box is too large for refrigeration unit
3. There is air infiltration into box adding to heat load in box and creating excessive frost build up on evaporator. Frost on evaporator does reduce system efficiency. Refrigeration industry recommendation standard seems to be to defrost evaporator when frost thickness exceeds ¼ inch.
4. When condenser cooling is poor it also lower unit’s total Btu capacity.
Richard Kollmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

replacing a thermostat is an easy job. Defrost first.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:34   #7

Boat: Vagabond 39 Hull # 1

RParts.com - Thermostats & Pressure Switches - www.rparts.com
I've never done any business with them but they have a lot of thermostats for not a lot of money. Call and see if they know what you need.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:39   #8
Marine Service Provider

Bash, No, visual Nondestructive testing is smarter and less expensive should always be do first.
Old 07-12-2011, 07:40   #9

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

I too have a fridge and freezer which is a frigomatic and is 21 yrs old had the same pro recently on the fridge thought it was the thermostat but it was the relay on the control unit powered on permanently try removing of the negative wire and see if compressor stays on if it does its the relay so you will need a new control unit if not new thermostat
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 08:01   #10
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard Kollmann View Post
Bash, No, visual Nondestructive testing is smarter and less expensive should always be do first.
Richard, no, you haven't read the OP completely. He states that the thermostat doesn't turn.

It needs to go.
Old 07-12-2011, 09:38   #11

Beneteau 500: you mention removing a negative wire. I have to assume is the negative wore from the thermostat to the Control? Can I ask how you resolved the issue?
Old 07-12-2011, 13:06   #12

Boat: Lidgard 50ft performance cat/ Canados50s
Send a message via Skype™ to beneteau-500

yes the neg wire from the stat i imagine you have a little black control box if the same as mine, and when i tested it it was the control box relay sticking on i got a local elec to fit new relay contact and all was ok
beneteau-500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 21:54   #13

Beneteau 500: what type of local electrician did u get to fix the relay? I tried calling around to different appliance people. Most seemed to have no idea how to work w/ dc. Do you know what he did to repair it? And if so does it look like a job I could do?
Old 08-12-2011, 07:24   #14
Marine Service Provider

Keao, If you want to solve your problem stay with my earlier Solution Guide. If box is too cold and compressor runs all the time and refrigerator section is so cold it is freezing things replace thermostat or free up thermostat knob shaft with WD40.

If after compressor runs many hours refrigerator area of box is not very cold then review items 1 through 4. Number 4 deals with condenser cooling if your unit is air cooled check fan airflow, has dust been vacuumed out of coil recently? If unit is water cooled there will be a relay to operate a pump. If pump does not run it or the relay is bad. These relays are available at auto parts stores at a cost of $3.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:20   #15

Re: Fridge Won't Cycle On and Off

Richard: the fridge has been turned off a number of times and defrosted. I will try disassembling the thermostat if u think that is what's wrong. But I disconected it like beneteau 500 said ro do. And it is still running. I'll let u know if I can get the thermostat working.

Tags
refrigerator