Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-05-2017, 23:26   #1

Boat: Dromor Athena 44
Fridge with no return from cold plate?

I just bought Elessar and the compressor appears to be shot. The cold plate is in good condition, but I can't find a coolent return line. I've tried to find info online but can't come up with very specific search terms. What type of system is this and can the cold plate be reused? Will post pictures when I get home...
SpaceRnglr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-05-2017, 23:45   #2

Re: Fridge with no return from cold plate?

Got the old compressor out and found the name plate. It is a Indel B G.E.3. It says 280cm3 oil and there is oil all over the compartment. Still can't find much on Google... Will post pictures later when I get home but any info is appreciated.
Old 26-05-2017, 04:26   #3

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

Like this?

https://www.indelwebastomarine.com/u...-cooled-units/

You've given virtually no info to go on.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 05:38   #4

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

I'm wondering (given that you said there is oil all over the compartment) if the return line has been broken off at some point. either on the compressor or on the copper refrigerant lines.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 06:40   #5

Sailmonkey, you aren't far off. I'm home now so can post some pictures as follows to give more information:

1) A picture of the evaporator to show that it only has one lead coming from the compressor, there is no return line. The other sides are not visible but they are the same, no return line.
2) A (bad) picture of how the compressor was installed before I took it out. The quick fitting on the lower right leads to the white coil of tubing that goes to the evaporator. The black / green fitting in the middle was the other tube coming from the compressor, but it is just fitted to what looks like a blanking plate and a coil of wire--it don't know the function of this part.
3) A picture of the compressor / condenser once removed. It looks like a pretty typical unit... The name plate says: Indel "B"; Compressor Type G.E.3; 12v. DC 283cm^3 oil; made in Italy
4) A picture of the mounting area where the compressor was located. You get a better view of the quick fittings that goes to the evaporator and the one that is just a blank with coiled wire behind it. You also see all the oil everywhere, I think the compressor casing exploded and the oil leaked out.

The compressor / condenser assembly is shot, but I was hoping to reuse the evaporator. Is it normal to not have a return line for the evaporated gas to return back to the compressor? Thanks for any help.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0115JPG.jpg
Views:	170
Size:	195.0 KB
ID:	148476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0116.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	404.0 KB
ID:	148477  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0118.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	410.7 KB
ID:	148478   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0120.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	402.3 KB
ID:	148479  

Old 26-05-2017, 06:51   #6

Boat: '76 Allied Seawind II, 32'

The little coiled "wire" is in fact the refrigerant supply capillary tube. It contains liquid refrigerant, the large white line is the gaseous return low pressure side. Notice the cap tube dives into the return line, I makes its way to the Evap plate internal to the return line, then is separated again once at the evaporator plate.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 07:00   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Looks like you have a mess there, those quick connects were probably your problem , the O rings go in them over time and they start to leak. The oil came from the compressor , it was probably the high pressure side that misted it all over the inside of the cabinet. You may be able to get a tech in there , permanently braze the lines together , recharge the oil, evacuate the system, and recharge it .This will get expensive , it may work, or not . Or you can replace the system and be done with it

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 07:07   #8
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Just to add , yes you could get a new compressor , say a BD50 with control module and attach it to the existing plates , but you will still have to hire someone with skill to either put new connectors on the unit or braze the lines permanently then again , evac, and charge , hopefully the inside off your plates are clean and not corroded depending how long the system has been open. If there is any debris in there it will plug the system up and you will be back to where you started from , again this could get expensive .

Regards John.
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 07:26   #9

Thanks both. If I purchased something like this couldn't I just hook it up and start running? I thought these systems come pre charged with R134 so they are plug and play. I get that A clogged evaporator is a risk, but otherwise possible? I am new at home scale refrigerators so maybe I got this all wrong...

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/waeco...5?recordNum=30
Old 26-05-2017, 08:56   #10

Boat: Catalina 30

These units usually come pre-charged, and the 'Quick Connects' complete the circuit after installation. You can not disassemble these without letting the refrigerant escape and you can not (to my knowledge) recharge them. (Not to mention the gasses used are different today and not compatible with older units.) So NO, you can not reuse the cooling plate.

If you have oil everywhere, I'd hazard to say your compressor is shot and the whole system needs to be replaced. I recently replaced our unit, it is a pain but not impossible to do by yourself.

This is the unit I used: http://www.thetford.com/product/norcolder-scq-4408f/

NOTE: The vertical compressor shown on the website is no longer made, only the horizontal. I used the 'L' shaped cooling plate, but it is available as a straight 'I' shape as well.

Good luck.
OS2Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 10:15   #11

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by OS2Dude View Post
These units usually come pre-charged, and the 'Quick Connects' complete the circuit after installation. You can not disassemble these without letting the refrigerant escape and you can not (to my knowledge) recharge them. (Not to mention the gasses used are different today and not compatible with older units.) So NO, you can not reuse the cooling plate.

If you have oil everywhere, I'd hazard to say your compressor is shot and the whole system needs to be replaced. I recently replaced our unit, it is a pain but not impossible to do by yourself.

This is the unit I used: http://www.thetford.com/product/norcolder-scq-4408f/

NOTE: The vertical compressor shown on the website is no longer made, only the horizontal. I used the 'L' shaped cooling plate, but it is available as a straight 'I' shape as well.

Good luck.
This is incorrect. you will loose a bit of gas when you disconnect. but as long as you don't linger while unscrewing them you only loose a little bit. They can easily be recharged by using the charging port that is on the compressor. I've replaced the O-rings in my quick connects as they both disintegrated. and I recharged them using regular automotive AC recharging kits. You just have to make sure you DO NOT get the bottle with the leak sealer in it or it will plug up the orfice in the evap plate. there are good explanations for how to do this on the web. Look up Richard Kolhman ( pretty sure that's his name) for lots of good info on this subject.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 18:07   #12

Boat: Allied Mistress CC 39

consider relocating compressor not enough air circulation and looks like it was sitting in water also the evap probable has moisture in it and is contaminated more trouble than it is worth suggest you can do a better job at installation the the original check out KoolMans posts and excellent book on refrigeration good luck.
Mistress Sirena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2017, 19:10   #13

Thanks for all the feedback. I can investigate relocating compressor, but i don't think there are many places in that area to move it to...
Considering all my options I think I am just going to replace the entire system.

I seem to be at the edge of what the BD35F can handle as my cold box is 4.5 ft3 or 130 litres. The Isotherm CC GE 150 says it can do up to 150 litres and the evaporator will fit my cold box. Is the consensus that the advertised ratings are achievable in the tropics or do I need to shell out more for the BD50F? The BD50F seems to only come with much larger evaporators and I'm not too excited about bending it, although I know it can be done...

Seems to be much better deals in Europe vs USA at the moment. Buying in Singapore is impossible...

https://www.svb24.com/en/isotherm-co...ic-system.html
Old 26-05-2017, 19:27   #14

Thanks for all the feedback. I will try to relocate the compressor, but i don't think there is any space... I could install a small fan to pull air from the bilge into the compressor location if the system isn't working well...

Considering all my options I think I will replace the full system.

I think the system I just removed is actually the Isotherm 2013 as the compressor looks more or less the same and the evaporator is the same dimensions. The latest version of the 2013 has the Danfoss BD50F... Isotherm says the smaller CC2301 with the BD35F is good for up to 150L, my cold box is ~130 L. Is there a consensus if the advertised volumes are realistic in the tropics?

If anyone has a good source to buy the system in Asia i would appreciate it. Right now it looks like Europe is the cheapest place I can find one. Buying in Singapore where I live is impossible...
Old 03-06-2017, 14:48   #15

I wouldn't even fool around with those 12 volt fridges.My Idea of a refrigeration system is a normal run of the mill bar fridge. They only use about 40 watts now that they use very high efficient compressors with run capacitors . Also they only run half the time which works out to around 20 watts full time. Run it off an efficient inverter and have a MPPT charge controller handling your solar panel or panels, and you won't need to worry about refrigeration any more. Add a little 1 watt muffin fan blowing at the condenser at the back and your efficiency has just climbed another peg. That should give you years of free cooling. I've got a big side by side Samsung 25 cu ft. Fridge Freezer that takes 140 watts and I run that on solar along with a 7 cu ft chest freezer that draws 80 watts and can pull temperature down to an unbelievable 28 below F. The new systems are super efficient but make sure you get everything that goes along with it just as efficient and you won't go wrong.
Rorzech is offline   Reply With Quote