Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2012, 17:58   #1

Fridge Thermostat Stuck

The thermostat on my Frigoboat refrigerator is stuck and will not turn in any direction. The fridge seems to be otherwise working ok; I just can't adjust the temperature.

Any ideas on how to get it moving without stripping the knob. Was thinking of trying some wd40.
Sailormannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 18:48   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Re: Fridge Thermostat Stuck

All depends, which thermostat and why it's stuck.

I would take it apart and look at it to see why it's stuck. shouldn't be that difficult.

Just squirting WD40 might do something but in all likelihood just make a mess and not free up anything.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 11:41   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipmac View Post
All depends, which thermostat and why it's stuck.

I would take it apart and look at it to see why it's stuck. shouldn't be that difficult.

Just squirting WD40 might do something but in all likelihood just make a mess and not free up anything.
Its a mechanical thermostat that sits in the fridge
Attached Images

Sailormannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 13:34   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422

Disclaimer: Have not looked at one of these in person so all opinions are based on a semi-educated guess.

If it's a mechanical thermostat then the adjusting knob is most likely connected to a rheostat inside the white box. If you look inside the box it would most likely look like a small, round, metal box. Usually 1" more or less diameter.

I can think of two ways the knob could be frozen up and not turn.

1. Something around the shaft of the knob, most likely corrosion, where the knob passes through the outside to the inside of the thermostat box or where that shaft enters the body of the rheostat itself inside the box.

2. Inside the rheostat the internal parts could be corroded or there could be a broken or loose piece blocking the rotation.

IF the problem is due to corrosion where the shaft of the knob passes through the thermostat housing then squirting some kind of goop might work. Any of the other causes, spraying probably would do nothing.

I would try to remove the know. Should be fairly simple. Usually held in place by a small set screw or sometimes just a press on fit.

However, bottom line, a new thermostat is only $38.00 retail. I wouldn't spend a whole lot of time messing with this unless I was stuck in Tierra del Fuego and couldn't get a new one.
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 14:21   #5

Boat: Van de Stadt 50'
Send a message via Skype™ to sy_gilana

Its got a cam that adjusts the pressure against a capillary driven bellows. It is siezed and too much fiddling might lose the alcohol in the capillary.
I replaced our t/stat with this in the photo. Its programmable, cheap, reliable and gives a readout. This one is made in Spain, but I am sure you can find one where you are at a commercial ref. supplier.
AKO | AKOSYS | Productos | AKOCONTROL DARWIN
Drag your mouse down the right hand panel, there are even wood grain covers available, cost about $50.00 Well worth the effort. Ours now does automatic defrost too.
The 14112 is 1 contact 12 volt, so a 24112 is 2 contacts (relays) and 3 is 3 etc. You can program the second relay to run fans, or to send an alarm etc.

Tags
refrigerator